IGNORED

Hogan Debate on Trail Leg During the Downswing

SCOTTYCA
Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, Scott from Austin Tx here. Loved golf since 1970. Thanks for having me. 

Im arguing with my older brother, who thinks he’s Ben Hogan incarnate. Actually, a great guy. We’re arguing over Hogan’s right knee. I believe, no I’m sure that the left hip is pulling the right side thru & he’s sure the right knee “pushes”. I know that it doesn’t. Who wants to *help*? Thanks!!!

2061AE4D-5391-4743-BF77-8BB8B6FD1DBE.png

• Administrator

The legs don't do much of anything on the downswing. The left knee will move forward a bit and then extend, and the right leg does even less than that. Mostly, it's your core muscles that move your hips forward and open them up.

This has been confirmed many times by medical studies where they measure the electrical activity of the muscles in the right leg. They aren't ever really shown to be doing much of anything in the golf swing.

Also, think about it practically. If your right leg is "pushing" forward… why is there so little pressure under the right foot throughout the whole downswing? It's constantly decreasing, to the point where only about 5-10% of the pressure is under the right foot at impact. In fact, it's not uncommon for the right foot to slip out during the downswing… it can only do that because there's so little pressure forcing the foot down.

Now, there are some (bad?) videos out there and players will say that they "feel" like they push off of their right foot. They don't. Feel ain't real.

So, I don't know that either of you are "correct," per se, but your brother was definitely least correct or most wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Hogan Debate on Trail Leg During the Downswing

Thank you so much for your feedback. I agree with this assessment & you’re validating it. My bro is a great player and stubborn as a loon! But we talk about this all the time. One thing that I discovered in the “feels”  is, if I push off that right leg at all it just my hip up when Hogan said that it rotates to the back(the left hip). There is a HUGE difference, imho, between pulling with your left side, which creates the leverage than throwing your right hip at it. It’s counter intuitive. Oh well, much appreciate your feedback. I’m very grateful! Thanks.

C3F175B4-AABF-4DFF-8647-3644053F7120.jpeg

I could be wrong but there is no push or pull anywhere in the core muscles of the body - just rotate. Push or pull only create linear forces and if you experience them then most probably some kind of compensation. Heck I could argue that deliberate linear push or pulls even create 'power leaks'.

A good swing to observe this phenomenon is Jamie Sadlowski who creates serious leverage - his right foot literally drags behind through impact and post.

I agree that lot of what Hogan or Nicklaus, for that matter, wrote, was what they felt - long before true biomechanics became much more clear. We all know feels are biomechanically individualistic. 

• Like 1

Vishal S.

Thank you for tremendous feedback. Indeed, we’re not just a digital world but technology is changing the game. To be clear I’m not in pursuit of Hogan or that *stuff* but I got nothing better to do. YouTube channels have piqued my interest. Having a hard time understanding if they’re seriously thinking they have it all figured out. I’m leery of some guys spewing biomechanics because this one pro I’ve known for 28 years, and a tour player, a winner too, was talking biomechanics on the tee to a student the other day & he’s a sweet guy and all class but I’m not convinced that he can spell it:) Thanks again, I’m not too familiar with decorum here but I love golf & I love golfers, most of em. Any tips are certainly welcome. 

4 hours ago, SCOTTYCA said:

Thanks again, I’m not too familiar with decorum here but I love golf & I love golfers, most of em. Any tips are certainly welcome. 

Stick around, you'll be glad you did.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!