IGNORED

My Swing (Bo the Golfer)

Bo the Golfer

I've been Playing Golf for: 30 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 47 to 51 for 9 holes
My typical ball flight is: push fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: pull or slice

I have no video as of yet and here in MN the best I can do for now will be practice swings in my apartment. I have been on and off this site for a long time and love the sense of community here and how everyone seems so willing to help with each other's swings. If I had to describe my swing I would say it's a mess. I'm that dude that runs to the newest fad swing and watches YouTube like I'm going to find something that fixes it all finally. I will try to get up some practice swing videos as soon as possible so that I can show what I'm trying to accomplish. Oh and @iacas I am that guy that's not flexible enough to make a great turn so any help with working on that would be much appreciated. Thank you to anyone in advance that takes the time to check in on this. I'm hoping this is the start of a better path to good golf.

Videos: 

[Delete this, Embed Videos Here]

Obviously I'm great at reading directions. Not!

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator

As you might suspect we really need to see a video first. And I bet you're more flexible than you realize.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

As you might suspect we really need to see a video first. And I bet you're more flexible than you realize.

Noted. Will a swing with no ball tell you much?

BO THE GOLFER

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Noted. Will a swing with no ball tell you much?

No.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hit a few balls yesterday at an indoor facility here in town. Didn't think to take video as I'm a dummy and  I really need to do that. One thing I notice is that I just forget to do everything I'm supposed to do. I either get a decent shoulder turn for me and my hips are stuck in cement of just swing all arms. I know this means nothing without seeing it I'm just venting. I'll keep trying to do my mirror work at home and try to get back to that facility and take some video.

BO THE GOLFER

2 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

One thing I notice is that I just forget to do everything I'm supposed to do. I either get a decent shoulder turn for me and my hips are stuck in cement of just swing all arms.

Slow things down a lot. Like, 10% swing speed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Slow things down a lot. Like, 10% swing speed.

I definitely need to do this. Everything was full speed. I will make sure to practice like this to ingrain the feeling. Thank you!

BO THE GOLFER

Had a semi aha moment today. I say semi as I have not hit a ball but I have a room here at work I can swing in and just read on another thread where @iacas wrote that when you slide your hips forward you are also turning. I had never seen it put this way or am to golf dumb to have figured that out. I felt powerful in my swing for the first time ever doing this. I will have to get to the simulator and put this on video.

• Like 1

BO THE GOLFER

• 2 weeks later...

As cliche as it may be I start my fitness journey today. I think this will be a big help to my golf as I am so tight in the upper back/shoulders area. I am working on losing weight and increasing flexibility. Still need to get to the simulator and film some swings for this thread. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

• Thumbs Up 1

BO THE GOLFER

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

I was just down in Florida for 5 days and finally got to hit some golf balls. Of course being a dummy I didn't have my wife video me but to be fair she was hitting a bucket as well. I tried several things as I am the ultimate tinkerer and wanted to find a direction that i felt would work and I would commit to. I actually tried this Michelle Wie type stance where I was very wide and used the grip from Leadbetter's A swing. Hated it. Hit some crazy hooks and never felt comfortable. I then tried some iron swings incorporating a stack and tilt feel with a strongish but more normal grip. I actually hit some pretty decent shots but felt that it could have been better. Finally I just set up with my feet shoulder width apart, feet flared out, and concentrated on two things. I tried to keep a steady head according to key #1 and took the club back thinking of Kevin Chappell (I really like his swing). I'm not sure I've ever hit the ball better. I didn't bring my clubs with me but the driving range down there (Chi Chi Rodriquez Golf & Family Sports Center in Clearwater, FL-awesome place if you are ever down there) gave me a driver, 7 iron and PW. I hit every club really solid. I had a few pulls but for the most part hit some towering, straight deep balls. As golfers I am sure we all know the feeling of hey, I found it only to find that we suck a week later. My issue is that when that suck creeped in I was off to another swing. This site has taught me a lot recently as maybe it's being a little older that I am better at assimilating info and understand jumping around from swing to swing is foolish. I will be practicing with this session in mind going forward. The only problem I have now is that I went from mid 60's weather to -25 here in Minnesota so practicing indoors will have to do for now. 

Edited by Bo the Golfer

BO THE GOLFER

• 4 years later...

Serious help needed. Lead arm breaking down, arm overrun,  and coming OTT. I couldn't get any face on but will try next time out. Looks bad enough from this angle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator

Yes, you need some serious help.

evolvr.com is really affordable.

Make sure you can record in slow mo and face on before signing up.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Administrator

FWIW @Bo the Golfer, if it was a simpler thing… I'd just help you out here.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

FWIW @Bo the Golfer, if it was a simpler thing… I'd just help you out here.

I get it. Appreciate that. 

BO THE GOLFER

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I get it. Appreciate that. 

At the very least… learn to make a backswing where your right elbow feels like it almost stays straight. You over-bend the crap out of it, then keep it bent a looooong time to start the downswing:

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

I have decided to go all in on a swing retool trying to get more Steve Stricker like so I don't have that issue with my lead arm and the arm overrun. I saw a great video on fixing OTT yesterday so I will be incorporating that move in my downswing. I will be doing swings nightly at the house as well as getting some on video when I can get to the dome. Also looking into lessons with a teacher that works out of the dome in the winter. This is more than I've done in the past but I'm tired of sucking

BO THE GOLFER

1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

I have decided to go all in on a swing retool trying to get more Steve Stricker like so I don't have that issue with my lead arm and the arm overrun. I saw a great video on fixing OTT yesterday so I will be incorporating that move in my downswing. I will be doing swings nightly at the house as well as getting some on video when I can get to the dome. Also looking into lessons with a teacher that works out of the dome in the winter. This is more than I've done in the past but I'm tired of sucking

Good luck, my man.

The longest journey begins with the first step.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Bo the Golfer said:

It's not a downswing thing you need to do for awhile at first.

• Thumbs Up 1