IGNORED

Unlisted (Ratings) Courses

HJJ003
Note: This thread is 1948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it fairly uncommon for golf courses to not be rated and listed in the USGA directory? There are two local courses I know of that have ratings listed on their scorecards, but I can’t find them in the NCRDB. I have searched by Club name and City/State. Do courses opt out of the USGA system and if so why?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's possible that they haven't been rerated within the last 10 years, as required.  The other thing I've seen is clubs listed by a first word, like The Golf ....... is under T.  Last, you might need to contact the course and ask.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

There is a course near me that is not listed.   I believe it's uncommon.

WRONG~!    

Last year it wasn't listed, this year it is!   

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

3 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

There is a course near me that is not listed.   I believe it's uncommon.

WRONG~!    

Last year it wasn't listed, this year it is!   

Hmmm they must have just recently been re-rated like @DaveP043 suggested? Just a year or so where they weren’t? 

It was recently purchase about two years ago. Back in 2017 it wasn't listed.  I just looked and it is.    It would be nice to see when it was rated.

Edited by dennyjones

• Administrator

A non-valid rating is the most common reason for a course not to be listed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

A non-valid rating is the most common reason for a course not to be listed.

Could you explain this?   What things would make it non-valid?

I played the course 7/11/2017 and it wasn't listed.   I believe I posted somewhere about a rating for a course that wasn't listed in a thread.   It's nice to see it listed now.

Edited by dennyjones

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Could you explain this?   What things would make it non-valid?

Not having it rated in the last 10 years, basically. Sometimes if a course isn't a member of a regional golf association for a number of years I think they can get de-listed that way too (the regional golf associations are (almost?) always responsible for  rating courses.

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I had that happen to me this year as well when posting scores to establish an official HI. One of the courses we played was not listed despite the scorecard displaying course and slope ratings. It's a fairly nice, 18 hole regulation course, but the management is a little quirky and independent.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, iacas said:

... Sometimes if a course isn't a member of a regional golf association for a number of years I think they can get de-listed that way too (the regional golf associations are (almost?) always responsible for  rating courses.

Spot on.  A number of courses in Michigan dropped their GAM (Golf Assoc. of Michigan) membership when the economy tanked in 2007-2008.  Once they dropped their membership, you were not supposed to post scores from these courses and the GAM website did not list the courses in their handicap posting system.  Many of the courses continued to list ratings but officially scores made at these clubs were not eligible for the handicap system.

We had a tournament at one such course.  They were rated in 2014 when we reserved the course for a 2015 tournament.  Come June, 2015, they were no longer a GAM member and we could not post our member's scores.  Needless to say, they are on our black list, even though they have once again joined GAM.

• Like 1

Brian Kuehn

• iacas changed the title to Unlisted (Ratings) Courses
Note: This thread is 1948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!