IGNORED

Putting Yips, Great Tip to Conquer

Note: This thread is 1883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Channeling Bernhard Langer. He abandoned his left elbow jut/forearm grab, for long putter which he then had to find a way to not anchor. May have helped him, but not for everyone.

hope this double elbow jut, rocking the baby putting technique continues to work for me

43 minutes ago, wingback said:

hope this double elbow jut, rocking the baby putting technique continues to work for me

You're basically trying to force yourself to rock your shoulders without using your hands - hope it works for you. I've tried it but it's just not a natural feeling for me. I've always thought that the Kuchar putting stroke with the shaft against the forearm would be another good method for removing the hands from the stroke.

If you want another twist on the rocking the baby technique, that's basically what Michelle Wie was doing when she was bending way over.  I've tried it and it's a sound technique.  But very hard on a middle aged man's back and most of us don't have butts we want to stick up in the air.

Edited by gbogey

49 minutes ago, wingback said:

Good luck.  If it works...well....it works!   Ask not "how" but "how many".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, gbogey said:

You're basically trying to force yourself to rock your shoulders without using your hands - hope it works for you. I've tried it but it's just not a natural feeling for me. I've always thought that the Kuchar putting stroke with the shaft against the forearm would be another good method for removing the hands from the stroke.

If you want another twist on the rocking the baby technique, that's basically what Michelle Wie was doing when she was bending way over.  I've tried it and it's a sound technique.  But very hard on a middle aged man's back and most of us don't have butts we want to stick up in the air.

lol great post, it feels good for me luckily, under pressure will be the acid test

5 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Good luck.  If it works...well....it works!   Ask not "how" but "how many".

thanks hope it works under the gun

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2019 at 10:43 AM, wingback said:

but if you find a way to neutralise the right hand that would be the holy grail?

I suffered with the yips.  I switched to cross hand putting where the left hand is lower on the grip and it neutralized my right hand.  I'm stroking and putting the ball better than I have in years.

David Laville, G.S.E.M.
The Golfing Machine Authorized Instructor

On 1/4/2019 at 11:30 AM, klineka said:

I disagree with this. The yips are a physical issue, not a mental issue.

This quote below explains it further:

"For many years the 'yips' was seen as a purely psychological problem, something that was all in the golfer's head," says researcher Aynsely M. Smith, PhD, of the Mayo Clinic Sports Medicine Center, in a news release. "This latest study provides further reason to believe that there is a physical component for many if not most 'yippers.'"

Previous studies have shown that a case of the "yips" can add as many as five strokes to the score of an affected golfer on an 18-hole course.

In their study, published in the current issue of Sports Medicine, researchers asked a group of 72 regular golfers to describe their experience with the "yips." The average age of the golfers was 52, and they had been avid golfers for about 36 years with an average golf handicap of 6.7.

Most of the golfers (55%) described the "yips" in physical terms, such as "involuntary jerking of the hands during putting." But only 22% explained it in more psychological terms like "nervousness and tight feeling in the body prior to and during the putt."

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20030306/golf-yips-may-be-physical-not-mental

Sam Snead, who had the yips bad, had the same idea. He once said that the yips are caused not because you lose your nerve, it's because you lose your "nerves". I'm 66 now, and have noticed that some of my fine motor skills have deteriorated. Doing detail work with small parts, if I can even see them, has become problematic. That's why I gave up fly tying. At my best, I had a hard time tying anything smaller than an 18. But if you want to catch trout in some the creeks in western PA, you'd better have a box full of midges, size 22 to 24. 

For those who don't fly fish, the larger the number the smaller the fly.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

The yips affect other people besides golfers such as musicians and even surgeons.  This has caused more research to be done in this area.  The yips ( focal dystonia) are the result of a misfiring of neurons.  Our wires get crossed.  As humans we can re-train our brain to form new ways to deal with the problem. Try making changes in practice such as a different grip, wearing two gloves or using a count for the tempo of the stroke.  I am retired as a psychologist (Ph.D) and just offering my 2c.

Edited by GLFTPS

Note: This thread is 1883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!