IGNORED

Regrip Problem - Oversize Grips That Will Not Slide on Far Enough

Mr Mac
Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I need some help. I am trying to re-grip with oversize synthetic grips, but I'm having no success getting the new grip unto the shaft far enough. I've re-gripped before with mid-sized grips with no troubles at all, but the oversized grips have got me stumped. I can get them started a couple of centimetres (an inch)  but that's as far as I can manage. Any ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Mr Mac
Careless topic heading

• iacas changed the title to Regrip Problem - Oversize Grips That Will Not Slide on Far Enough

Can you use the air technique? Are you using solvent? I’m no expert but I know some guys here use the air compressor technique and they all seem to think it’s the best way to do it I believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, Mr Mac said:

Hi,

I need some help. I am trying to re-grip with oversize synthetic grips, but I'm having no success getting the new grip unto the shaft far enough. I've re-gripped before with mid-sized grips with no troubles at all, but the oversized grips have got me stumped. I can get them started a couple of centimetres (an inch)  but that's as far as I can manage. Any ideas? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

An air compressor can help as @Vinsk suggested. Also, I find that after I put the solvent on the tape, if I rub the tape down with my hand, it will slide on easier. 

I also found a difference with solvents. Some are more slippery than others. The one below worked best for me.

HF100 BRAMPTON TECHNOLOGY HF100 GRIP SOLVENT Quart HF100 Grip Solvent Nontoxic, nonflammable and odorless solvent...

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, Mr Mac said:

oversized grips have got me stumped

What brand and core size are you using?
Are you installing them on steel or graphite shafts?

11 hours ago, Mr Mac said:

I can get them started a couple of centimetres (an inch)  but that's as far as I can manage

Sounds like it may be a solvent issue. 
Possibly not having a sufficient amount of solvent on the inside of the grip?

The majority of golf grips come in either 60 (or 0.600") or 58 (or 0.580")  inner core diameter size. These sizes match the majority of all golf shaft outer butt diameters. Because the size difference is minimal, both 60 and 58 are typically used interchangeably for standard size shafts. Note: we are referring only to the inner core diameter of the grip, not the outer diameter which will specify the outside width of the grip.

Some grips however come in additional core sizes, like, 50 (0.500"), 56 (0.560") or 62 (0.620"). If you're unsure which grip core size you need, please refer to the shaft manufacturer's website to confirm the butt diameter specification.

Edited by Club Rat
adding content
  • Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Other thoughts, if tape is slipping and bunching up as the grip is being installed.
And have you stripped old tape wraps off of the shafts?
Too many wraps of new and old tape on shafts can hinder installing new grips.

Thank you everyone. You have given me some great suggestions that I'm sure will work wonders. Your kindness is really appreciated. I'm sure I'll get better at this with a little experience and the help of generous people like you.

Lindsay

• Like 1

Interesting timing on this post. I literally just regripped my clubs this morning. I have been doing my own regripping since about 1995. I probably regrip too often. I love the feel of new grips and change them out at least once if not twice every season. 

I have always used just plain old mineral spirits. I've tried the air compressor technique, but I prefer the plain old mineral spirits. I can even remove a grip with mineral spirits in good enough condition to reuse it. (I bought a grip removal tool sometime back in my past and it works perfectly as advertised.) 

Here's my technique maybe it will help you. 

1 - Remove the old grip. If I want to keep it or reuse it I'll use mineral spirits and the grip removal tool, otherwise a hook blade in a Stanley Knife works well, but you don't get to keep the grip.

2 - I always remove all the old tape. Since I regrip so often it's easy to just peel it off. Otherwise, if it's old you may need to scrap it off with a straight blade in your Stanley Knife. 

3 - Put on the new tape. I buy my tape in rolls as it's way more economical, but you can buy it in pre-cut packs if you want. I like to put 2 layers of tape where my right hand will be and then put 1 more layer of tape over the whole grip area. When finished that gives me 3 layers under my right hand and 1 layer under my left. (That method counters some of the taper that a grip normally has.) 

4 - I don't bother putting the club in a vise anymore. But if you are a beginner, a vise makes it easier. Be sure to get a club holding rubber pad thingie, it will keep you from damaging the shaft. I literally just set the club on the workbench with grip end hanging over the edge, directly over a garbage can. 

5 - Take new grip in hand, put index finger over the little hole and squirt mineral spirits into the big hole. 

6 - Cover both holes and shake the grip, coating the inside of the grip with mineral spirits. 

7 - Holding the grip with the big hole up and keeping an index finger over the little hole I squirt mineral spirits over the length of the tape that's on the shat as it is hanging over the garbage can. The mineral spirits that run off or drip or whatever fall into the garbage can. 

8 - Then I pour out the mineral spirits that was inside the grip by letting it run out the little hole, but I pour that all over the tape on the shaft as well. (Sometimes you will see little bits of rubber tumble out the little hole as well. Don't let that bother you.) 

9 - When just a bit of mineral spirits are still left in the grip I feed the tip of the shaft into the grip and then pick up the club with one hand and slide the grip on quickly with the other, keeping the whole deal over the garbage can. (Again, this is way easier for beginners if the shaft of the club is locked in a vise. Then you just quickly push the grip on.) Speed is your friend.

10 - I take about 10 - 30 seconds to make sure the grip is straight. I should move really easily for about a minute. Don't goof around too much with it. Just get it lined up. (If you are one of those golfers who has to have an alignment guide on their grip. Mark the shaft of each club with a sharpie where the alignment guide is on the old grip before you cut it off. It makes it way easier to align the new grip later.)

11 - Then I let my club with the new grip lean against the wall or bench or what ever, grip end down, for a while. (10 to 30 minutes). 

12 - Then I stick the club back in my bag and I always wait 24 hours before playing with it again. But my guess is you could probably play with it in about an hour. I like to wait a day to be safe. 

That's the way I've done it for years. I like to regrip my own clubs. One reason is that I like new grips so I regrip a lot. But it also keeps me from having to explain my 3 layers of tape under my right hand, 1 layer of tape under my left hand thing. 

I hope it helps.
Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

35 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Here's my technique maybe it will help you. 

A very through description.
I'll add using a plastic bottle (old ketchup style with squirt nozzle) for applying solvent into grip end.
And, I prefer to place a paint roller can under the grip when pouring solvent from grip over the tape to catch the excess.
Then, I'll reuse the solvent when needed.

Also, the OP topic is concerning problems installing the grip.
Can you offer any suggestions to his concerns?

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Also, the OP topic is concerning problems installing the grip.

Can you offer any suggestions to his concerns?

My suggestions to help are:
1 - Use mineral spirits, works great, dirt cheap.

2 - Put the mineral spirits in a squirt bottle (forgot to mention that above.)

3 - Don't be stingy with the mineral spirits, apply it liberally. 

4 - Coat BOTH the tape AND the inside of the grip. It will slide on easier.  

5 - If you are still having trouble, be sure to put the non-grip end of the club in a vise. It will give you an "extra hand" and remember the more you do the easier it gets. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 1/16/2019 at 7:45 PM, Mr Mac said:

Hi,

The 2 most important things are use plenty of solvent AND once you get the grip started pull it off and slide it on again. This gets its started and smooths out the tape. I have an analogy for you but I don't think most of these guys would understand

Edited by Aaron from Baltimore

Note: This thread is 1922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!