IGNORED

Getting Stuck on the Backswing

Note: This thread is 1924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am getting stuck on the backswing. I can swing less than (3 o'clock) with no restrictions, then I have to lift and sway to complete the backswing. I used to think this was a physical issue. But, now I am thinking I haven't ruled out something technical like fanning the club open in the backswing or something else. Are there any typical explanations for a limited/restricted backswing? Thx SG

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

16 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

I have to lift and sway to complete the backswing.

Have you become habitual of restricting body rotation?
Lifting arms and swaying is generally when the rotation stops and arm motion lifts the club upward.
Swaying occurs when hip rotation stops and arms lift upward.

Do you have spine/back soreness? 
What about weight transfer? Are you allowing the right foot roll out?
Improper stance and posture could also lead to your situation.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Getting Stuck on the Backswing
  • Administrator

Man, I want to and have tried to help you, but you keep waiting a few months, and then posting another topic about your self diagnosed issues, when I just keep going back to this:

Update your Member Swing topic. Let's see what you're actually doing right now. Because I would bet that you're doing about the same thing(s) you've always done. Not turning. A little sway. Bending the arms more than needed to compensate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Have you become habitual of restricting body rotation?
Lifting arms and swaying is generally when the rotation stops and arm motion lifts the club upward.
Swaying occurs when hip rotation stops and arms lift upward.

Do you have spine/back soreness? 
What about weight transfer? Are you allowing the right foot roll out?
Improper stance and posture could also lead to your situation.

Thanks, Club Rat, Lift and swaying is an issue. I do have spine/back soreness for 35 years. Yes, with my weight transfer, the weight rolls past my right foot. If I try to restrict it, I have knee pain. 

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Man, I want to and have tried to help you, but you keep waiting a few months, and then posting another topic about your self diagnosed issues, when I just keep going back to this:

Update your Member Swing topic. Let's see what you're actually doing right now. Because I would bet that you're doing about the same thing(s) you've always done. Not turning. A little sway. Bending the arms more than needed to compensate.

Agreed, I can take a new video. But, you are right, "I am not turning. A little sway. Bending the arms more than needed to compensate" I have tried to turn with no sway, extend the arms and the result doesn't change.

I viewed your swing thread and I agree with the comments Erik has advised.
Until you change the habitual situation with your swing you will struggle.
Also as Scott mentioned, flare the right foot will support your knee flex.

Maybe try wearing a supportive knee brace (light support with side strips)

I'm an old guy too and have played years with aches and pains in my back and knees.
I don't consider a shortened back swing a bad thing at my age.
I simply load my right side less than my younger years and fire through.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

I viewed your swing thread and I agree with the comments Erik has advised.
Until you change the habitual situation with your swing you will struggle.
Also as Scott mentioned, flare the right foot will support your knee flex.

Maybe try wearing a supportive knee brace (light support with side strips)

I'm an old guy too and have played years with aches and pains in my back and knees.
I don't consider a shortened back swing a bad thing at my age.
I simply load my right side less than my younger years and fire through.

thanks

(edited)
13 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Thanks, Club Rat, Lift and swaying is an issue. I do have spine/back soreness for 35 years. Yes, with my weight transfer, the weight rolls past my right foot. If I try to restrict it, I have knee pain. 

Agreed, I can take a new video. But, you are right, "I am not turning. A little sway. Bending the arms more than needed to compensate" I have tried to turn with no sway, extend the arms and the result doesn't change.

ok, let's assume (not a stretch) that I am not turning and swaying with arm bend. What do I do? Go back to turning both shoulders and arms to make a turn? I've tried the wall drill, lead shoulder down with trail leg extension. It's great without a club. With a club, I can't get the hang of it. From there, is it a hip bump on the downswing?

Thanks, SG

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

22 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

ok, let's assume (not a stretch) that I am not turning and swaying with arm bend. What do I do? Go back to turning both shoulders and arms to make a turn? I've tried the wall drill, lead shoulder down with trail leg extension. It's great without a club. With a club, I can't get the hang of it. From there, is it a hip bump on the downswing?

Thanks, SG

Do you have a mirror? I know it gets a bit exasperating going back and fourth with a camera. Doing your swing with a mirror allows you to see your position and then repeat it, hold it and help ingrain what the feel is for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

22 hours ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Thanks, SG

I takes time to make changes like this. You need to work not only only the shoulder turn with the club, but also your general flexibility and core strength. Yoga type stretching can help, but there are other simple exercise you can do as a warm up to help.  I do them in front of a mirror at the gym to also verify I have a centered turn. I do this one below every time I pick up a club. And be patient. Changes can take weeks to happen. Stick with it, it will change.

From this thread, 

4. One exercise for more flexibility and core strength.

This one move is not going to give you the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger but it will help in developing flexibility and core strength.

Get in your address position (with the proper posture that you’ve been practicing), hold your 5 iron at either end and lay it behind your neck, across your shoulders. From there, turn into your backswing, while keeping proper posture with a consistent spine angle, and hold the position at the top of your backswing. You should feel your core muscles being engaged at this point.

While you’re in this position, take note of the angle the shaft is in across your shoulders. When you make your downswing, make sure to emulate this same angle when you are at the point of impact. Your hands on either end of the shaft should be in the exact opposite positions that they were when you were at the top of your backswing.

Complete your swing to a balanced follow-through. Do this for 15 minutes a day and you’ll find you’ll have a little more core strength at the beginning of the season and a lot more flexibility.

After I do this, then use a club and check out my shoulder turn in the mirror. It really, really helps.

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Do you have a mirror? I know it gets a bit exasperating going back and fourth with a camera. Doing your swing with a mirror allows you to see your position and then repeat it, hold it and help ingrain what the feel is for you. 

Mirrors are terrific tools.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 1/18/2019 at 7:30 AM, Sandhills Golfe said:

It's great without a club. With a club, I can't get the hang of it. From there, is it a hip bump on the downswing?

Freddy Couples states when asked about his golf swing, "try to keep it simple, take the club back and fire through"
I feel the same way as I simply get to a set point/trigger point (balanced and a position which allows me maximum control while swinging the club)

A good drill would be controlled practice swings on varied slopes (uphill and down hill stance)
You should feel different balance points, weighting, posture, arm swings and finishing posture.
Feel for solid/balancing postures and then use the drill on level terrain.
Have a friend take a few snapshots or use short videos to review later.

Look for positions which do not cause stress on your knee, and compare to your swing thread for different looks.

The downslope drill should enable you to feel and see the difference compared to your level stance posture.

Presently your set point creates stress on your knee which doesn't allow a fluid/unhindered swing.
The body is compensating to avoid further injury most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1924 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!