IGNORED

Been to Club Fitting and Need Advice

DSCuk
Note: This thread is 1897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I have been playing for 15 years but never that often and hadn’t hit a club for 3 years until a week ago ( we had a kid!) I am getting membership for the first time this year so went for a club fitting as my irons are nearly 15 years old, they are Titleist 690cb.

Anyway I am now looking to buy Mizuno JPX919 with the modus3 x stiff shaft, once I have got over the price tag, but the guy in the shop laughed at my driver shaft, I have a Callaway fusion with the stiff recoil shaft in it... I hit a copra f9 with the Hzrdus x stiff shaft but that just didn’t feel right, maybe cos I’m so used to a stiff shaft but was wondering if anybody could recommend a softer feeling x stiff shaftor firmer stiff?

i am starting to realise just how important the shafts are and wish I had tried a fitting years ago!

thanks in advance and apologies for being a bit long winded 

darren

Hello and welcome to TST! I’m a bit confused as to your fitting. Did you not try different shafts and find what you liked? Nobody is going to be able to tell you what shaft is ‘softer’ really. I mean numbers sure..but golf is a game of feel and nobody can really know what feels good to you. There are a ton of options out there for shafts. Keep in mind shaft flex varies from brand to brand. What’s stiff in one brand may be regular in another. That being said congrats on the JPX 919...is that the forged or the Hot Metal? Cheers!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hi Vinsk, 

I went in for new irons and spent over an hour trying various shafts and heads, it came down to a choice between Titleist ap3 with a project x shaft (atm?) or the JPX919 tour and forged combo with the modus3 shaft, he then wanted to fit my driver but I was done by this point, hit only a few with the cobra but had to go.

i just wanted a driver that doesnt feel too stiff, my swing speed with the 7 iron was about 88 and ball speed about 127, driver was club speed of 125 and ball speed I think was about 150 but can’t be sure because I’d had enough by then

He did actually say hasn’t to worried about the speeds but more so about the launch angle and spin rates

Go back and get another fitting with your driver. 125 club head speed and 150 ball speed makes zero sense.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• iacas changed the title to Been to Club Fitting and Need Advice
1 hour ago, DSCuk said:

He did actually say hasn’t to worried about the speeds

Well being that that's Dustin Johnson's speed I should say not.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 2/8/2019 at 4:16 PM, DSCuk said:

Hi all,

I have been playing for 15 years but never that often and hadn’t hit a club for 3 years until a week ago ( we had a kid!) I am getting membership for the first time this year so went for a club fitting as my irons are nearly 15 years old, they are Titleist 690cb.

Anyway I am now looking to buy Mizuno JPX919 with the modus3 x stiff shaft, once I have got over the price tag, but the guy in the shop laughed at my driver shaft, I have a Callaway fusion with the stiff recoil shaft in it... I hit a copra f9 with the Hzrdus x stiff shaft but that just didn’t feel right, maybe cos I’m so used to a stiff shaft but was wondering if anybody could recommend a softer feeling x stiff shaftor firmer stiff?

i am starting to realise just how important the shafts are and wish I had tried a fitting years ago!

thanks in advance and apologies for being a bit long winded 

darren

Hey Darren! Definitely go get fitted by a club fitter! When I was looking to buy a driver a few years back I messed around at a big box store and got some general stats and advice for a driver I was already looking at (Callaway GBB Epic) but it was too general. I've been going to Cool Clubs since my local fitter fit me in with an emergency fitting before a tournament. They can either sell you a complete custom shaft or tell you what to look for when buying custom from the manufacturer's website. Most importantly, while they will give you options and ask what you like (style, what feels good, etc), they'll make good recs on what stiffness, weight, torque, etc you need in a shaft.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!