klineka

London Area Golf Courses

8 posts / 3654 viewsLast Reply

So my wife and I are planning a trip to London, Rome, and Naples in September and I think I want to try to get a round in when we are in London. 

Any recommendations for golf around London?

I'd prefer something a little more links style if possible but open to pretty much anything, and I don't mind paying a decent amount if it's a good quality course too.

Edited by klineka
Title Clarity

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

There are countless great courses in the London area.  The place I would recommend is Sunningdale. It is two courses Old and New...both rated in top 50 in the world. They are very accepting to visiting play....250 for a round 350 for two...I would try to play both as they are near equals in quality.  If that's not helpful....I'd say go to google maps. Put in your place...then golf courses near by. Many of the best Swiney Forest, Walton Heath are quite private and not receptive mostly. 

I played Royal St George’s which is about 1.5 hour train outside London. Awesome time. Get a caddy. 

Sunningdale and The Wisley are also supposed to be great  

It's a bit outside of London, but Woburn is a fantastic place and worth a visit if you can. The Grove is also a decent place to play some golf. Neither are links style though.

If you want links within reach of London it has to be Kent. Royal St Georges, Royal Cinque (pronounced sink) Ports, Princes. I'd say Cinque Ports was the most appealing. Royal St Georges is one of the two or three top rated courses in England, but it's an absolute beast.

If you don't want to pay 100's of pounds there are some decent courses in and around South London /Croydon where you can test your game . A lot of the big money courses for me are so to keep the riff raff out rather than them being great courses . Snobbery comes to mind and the difference you will pay will not reflect some great leap in quality .

Addington Palace  , Croham Hurst  and Mitcham  are all very well kept courses with differing challenges that wont break the bank .