IGNORED

Group Play Handicaps From Different Tees

Tcoleman42
Note: This thread is 1875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe @Rulesman can help.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rule 9-3.c in the USGA Handicap Manual covers this.  The most important excerpt:

(i) Different Tees: Men vs. Men; Women vs. Women; Women vs. Men 
Different tees usually have different ratings. Since a USGA Course Rating reflects the probable scores of a scratch golfer, the higher-rated course is more difficult, and the player playing from the set of tees with the higher USGA Course Rating receives additional stroke(s) equal to the difference between each USGA Course Rating, with the resulting figure rounded off to the nearest whole number (.5 or more is rounded upward). (See Decision 3-5/1.) 

But in summary, you're doing it right as regards the Blue and White tee players, but the Red tee player should be adjusted downward in the same manner.  If there is no slope or CR for the Red tees for men, you can estimate them based on the difference in yardage from the closest tees rated for men, with the Table in 5-2.g

Handicap strokes should be allocated based on the Handicap Rating for the tees each player is using.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, DaveP043 said:

Rule 9-3.c in the USGA Handicap Manual covers this.  The most important excerpt:

But in summary, you're doing it right as regards the Blue and White tee players, but the Red tee player should be adjusted downward in the same manner.  If there is no slope or CR for the Red tees for men, you can estimate them based on the difference in yardage from the closest tees rated for men, with the Table in 5-2.g

Handicap strokes should be allocated based on the Handicap Rating for the tees each player is using.

More details can be found in Section 3-5 of the USGA Handicap Manual as well.

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14373

With many club memberships down, more and more clubs are finding it necessary to have to hold competition among players playing from different tees and the adjustment is a new experience to many. Experience at my club has been that many of the guys on the front tees aren't happy. If you find that you have a similar problem, you can contact me and I can share our experience.   

49 minutes ago, HonestyPolicy said:

More details can be found in Section 3-5 of the USGA Handicap Manual as well.

http://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14373

With many club memberships down, more and more clubs are finding it necessary to have to hold competition among players playing from different tees and the adjustment is a new experience to many. Experience at my club has been that many of the guys on the front tees aren't happy. If you find that you have a similar problem, you can contact me and I can share our experience.   

I don't understand the issue.  My Men's Club has been using multiple tees since it's inception in 1972.  A few years back they expanded from 3 tees to 4, so now every tournament uses at least 2 sets of tees, and some (like the Club Championship) put the 1st flight back on the Black tees, 2nd and 3rd flights on the Blue tee, and 4th and 5th on the Whites.  Occasionally the 6th flight will even play the forward tees. 

I guess I can understand the difficulty when players in the same flight are playing different tees.  Our competitions are flighted, usually from 15 to 20 in each flight, and in each flight, all players play the same tee.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, Fourputt said:

I don't understand the issue.  My Men's Club has been using multiple tees since it's inception in 1972.  A few years back they expanded from 3 tees to 4, so now every tournament uses at least 2 sets of tees, and some (like the Club Championship) put the 1st flight back on the Black tees, 2nd and 3rd flights on the Blue tee, and 4th and 5th on the Whites.  Occasionally the 6th flight will even play the forward tees. 

I guess I can understand the difficulty when players in the same flight are playing different tees.  Our competitions are flighted, usually from 15 to 20 in each flight, and in each flight, all players play the same tee.

Yes, it is the difficulty when players play in the same flight from different tees in a handicapped competition that we're talking about. I specifically am not referring to any difficulty in administering the necessary adjustments, the methods and procedures can be clearly found in the handicap manual in the sections that have been noted in previous posts. I am referring to what I've found to be the lack of acceptance that some players who typically play from the forward tees seem to have when the proscribed adjustments for playing in competition from different tees is called for.

Because of the reduction of the size of our club in recent years we have found ourselves struggling to even get 16 players to sign up for a men's match play event. The committee feels it to not be practical to have a tournament unless they get 16 players or more, so in our case all players play in one flight. The option of moving the players who prefer to play the forward tees back tends to cause them to cancel, as does the option of moving the players who play from further back up to the forward tees. 

In short I only mentioned this so that the OP, if he is interested, can gain some insight in how the forward player he describes might react when the adjustment is made and in so doing be prepared for it. Currently in the OP post it seems the forward tee player is getting away with some advantage over the others, but hey, he may be totally cool with the adjustment and there might not be a problem.

Over time as more and more players move to the forward tees, which is what I am seeing in my club, one ends up having to be prepared to admin the adjustment, but again, only for players playing against each other in a competition from different tees.

Edited by HonestyPolicy
Grammar

• iacas changed the title to Group Play Handicaps From Different Tees
Note: This thread is 1875 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!