IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tigers the best "golfer", but Jack will be the greatest until Tiger is 40 years old, acting his age, with 3 kids and 23 Majors. Then I'll maybe say Tiger is/was the greatest.

Tiger is the face of golf. Truly revolutionary. However, Jack still has more championships. Tiger will beat him, but Jack also has more 2nd place finishes as well. So, I think although Tiger is the better athlete, Jack is the better golfer until Tiger brings him down.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never really got to see Jack play, but there is no doubting that Tiger is an athlete to the fullest. I guess I would have to say Tiger.

In my Latitude V2 bag.

R9 Driver
R9 Fairway Woods
TA7 Irons CG14 Black Pearl Wedges VP509 Putter ONE Tour golf balls

Tiger. I just cannot imagine anyone that is week after week better than him. He can go out there any week and be the hands-down favorite.

R7 460 TP 8.5* Driver
Burner TP 3 wood
r7 Steel 5 wood
rac TP MB with FCM 6.0 shafts #4-PW
rac Fe2O3 52* 8*bounce Spin Milled 56.14* and 60.04* wedges Rossa Corzina putter ProV1x

I agree except for the first point.

A long time ago, when this thread and I were both still young, I said maybe Tiger by a hair. But today John Feinstein had this interesting stat:

One thing is now clear in assessing Woods's career: Those who say Jack Nicklaus faced higher-quality competition in his peak years are right. There just isn't an Arnold Palmer, a Gary Player, a Lee Trevino or a Tom Watson in this group. Just check the numbers on those four: 30 majors among them and several down-to-the-wire battles with Nicklaus that Nicklaus lost. That's one reason Nicklaus finished second in majors 19 times. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081701195.html I think he has a point.

A long time ago, when this thread and I were both still young, I said maybe Tiger by a hair. But today John Feinstein had this interesting stat:

I agree entirely - although there will be those who will tell you that Tiger is so dominant because...he is so dominant, which is a bit circular, imho. He needs the great opposition, the Players, Watsons, Trevinos and Palmers of OUR days, to define his era. The entire article is worth a read, not just that extract. thanks for bringing it to our attention.

tiger is better

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

no? no we can't

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

no? no we can't

Exactly, check out the Age poll, 85 percent of the members in this forum are under the age of 40. Those members did not see Jack play, those of us that grew up with him being as dominate in his day as Tiger is today, just don't see as much alure with Tiger.

My Dad say's Ben Hogan was the greatest, never been a better ball striker in the history of the game, if he would of had the greens to putt on that Jack and Tiger have he would have won 100 tournaments and the car wreck cost him 5 majors, it's has a lot to do with your generation. We are not as willing to give up the past, just like you won't be willing to in the next 15 to 20 years, when the next phenom comes along and is about to break all of Tiger's records and is only 28 years old......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?