IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

The competition is squarely on Jack's side... Tiger doesn't have arnie and the gang breathing down his neck.

What's In My Bag?
Driver : Diablo
3wood : Diablo
Hybrid : 3DX RC Ironwood #3 20*
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

i nvr saw jack but tiger good but he annoying

In my Intech bag i have driver-XPC 10.5 offset, lynx predator 460 woods-XPC hybrids- XPC irons- TourII- very old idk what brand Wedge-vokey 48*putter- dual force 990

XPC custom made by my grandad before passing away

The competition is squarely on Jack's side... Tiger doesn't have arnie and the gang breathing down his neck.

WHAT?

i guess phil, sergio, vijay, ernie, and retief are just amateurs.

Yeah, Tiger has no competition

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

Jack Nicklaus was the greatest golfer of the time with persimmon woods, one-piece balls and less than stellar course maintenance ....

Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer of this era with 460cc drivers, 2 and 3 piece balls, better technology and flawless course maintenance ...

Bobby Jones was the greatest golfer in the time of ....

You get my point ... comparing Jack to Tiger in differenet eras, different tech, different conditions is apples and oranges ....
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

i guess phil, sergio, vijay, ernie, and retief are just amateurs.

compared to Arnie, Gary player ... etc etc etc. the list goes on, yes they are amateurs. I'd rather take on lefty or sergio the choke artist any day then arnie or the black knight ...

you can't be serious

What's In My Bag?
Irons : j36 cb's Putter : Tour Platinum 7081Ball : TP Black LDPHome Course :Lonnie Poole Golf Course at NC State University 74.7/134Eagle Ridge Golf Club 73.0/131

compared to Arnie, Gary player ... etc etc etc. the list goes on, yes they are amateurs. I'd rather take on lefty or sergio the choke artist any day then arnie or the black knight ...

id rather take player,palmer than mickelson,garcia

wow ...

Sergio + Lefty 3 majors (phil 3 Garcia 0) ......

rofl Arnie and Gary -ALONE- have 16 majors ( Player 9 Palmer 7)

not to mention the bevey of other GREAT golfers of that time.

What's In My Bag?

• Administrator
Sergio + Lefty 3 majors (phil 3 Garcia 0) ......

Three problems with this kind of argument.

1) Tiger wins majors at a faster rate than Jack Nicklaus did, which will obviously eliminate some of the majors for the "second tier" of top pros. 2) Palmer won the vast majority of his majors before Jack Nicklaus really came onto the scene in 1962. He only won one major after 1962, and that was in 1964. 3) Field depth is much greater these days. So those guys are taking majors away from that "second tier" as well. I've argued those points a few times already in this thread, so I'm not going to re-hash them all over again except to point them out and list them as I've done here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

while i agree .. i still feel the second teir in jacks era was much more impressive than the second teir now ... by leaps and bounds, but it is definitely a valid point that teir 3-20 now is MUCH better than their counterparts 30-50 years ago.

What's In My Bag?

When asked at his US Open press conf. Tiger said Jack was the greatest (because he has 18 majors). I'm sure in 2 or 3 or 4 years Tiger will eclipse Jack's major record and then the argument should be settled (and I believe that Jack will graciously say that Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time.)

they are of different times so it is a bit difficult to compare, but at this point in time i am going with jack. i am sure that in time i will have to change my mind.

I think Tiger will certainly catch and surpass Jack in less time.

Odyssey white Hot 2 ball cut down to 29"

Cobra ZL 9.5 driver
Adams Speedline 3W 13*
TourEdge Bazooka 20* hybrid
Powerbilt forged combo 3-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 56 wedges

Tiger is still playing... We can't really decide until he is done

In my bag:

Driver: Hypersonic t7 460cc w/ UST Comp Series 65
3 Wood: r7 Draw
3 Hybrid: Idea Pro4H-SW: Tight LiesGW: Tom WatsonLW: Bazooka JMaxPutter: Black Velvet 110 Gun MetalBall: e6+My Course:Roland Barkau Memorial Golf Course