IGNORED

Do grips really affect play?

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have read several places that new grips can drop your score by 3-4 strokes. Is this actually true or just a bunch of bull to make people want to regrip more often.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

i think just liek shaft stiffness, length, type of ball, you should be measured to get the right grip. but anything after that is probably just mental. i know when i get something new like new shoes or a new glove i feel a little more confident. i'd say you can lose 3-4 storkes over all if you find that pefect putter grip.

I have read several places that new grips can drop your score by 3-4 strokes. Is this actually true or just a bunch of bull to make people want to regrip more often.

I know that it helps. Don't know if it shaves 3 or 4 strokes though. I don't think that someone who shoots 80 will automatically shoot 76-77 by regripping. As someone who regrips once a year at least, I can feel a big difference with the new grips. However, if your grips are really old and slick it could contribute to a few more good shots in a round since the clubs won't be slipping or turning in your hand without realizing it. It only takes a small fraction of a slip to throw a shot offline.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I think that whole loose 3-4 strokes stuff is just a rough guess for potential improvement, or rather, from someone who probably thinks he would on average, mess up 3-4 shots per round due to slicker grips. It can be mental, the worn grips also don't provide as much confidence in consistent performance so little thoughts like that can change your swing. On a highly competitive level, yes it makes a difference, but to anyone just playing for fun, little things like that won't save your game. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it won't make you a better player and probably won't improve your game just like that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I tend to grip lightly on the club and occasionally when i hit one on the toe the club will turn in my hands. Could this partially be due to the older grips? My grips are 4 years old so i think the new look and feel will help me because it will be mental and i think they are the greatest thing ever.

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

I think it's similar to when you try a new club at the driving range. You're more concentrated because it feels different than the clubs you're used to hitting, and might hit it better than if you've had that club in your bag for a long time. Putting new grips on your clubs will no doubt prevent slipping and what not, but I think it also makes you feel like you're playing a new club which could have a psychological advantage.

In my Navy Hoofer:
Driver: Titleist 909D2 9.5* UST ProForce V2 X-stiff
3W: 904F 15* DG X100
Hybrid: X-Hybrid 3i Fujikura Banzai Stiff
Irons: MP-57 X200 3-PW

Wedges: Gauge Design Handmade 54* and 60*

Putter: SSB LKG Custom "Masters Edition"

Ball: Penta, Pro-v1x

Other: Pinseeker 1500 Tournament

I was under the impression that getting grips that fit your hand is what makes a difference. So the discussion isn't really about grippier grips but grips that fit your hand. My uncle was talking to me on Easter about how he went and got fit for new grips and it's had a big impact on his game. Obviously reducing slipping is another thing that improves when you replace grips subsequently but initially the big change is actually just fitting your clubs to you. That being said I don't have any personal experience with getting grips fitted.

Driver: 909D3 9.5*
Wood: 909F3 15*
Hybrid: a4 3-4H
Irons: MP-57 5-PW
Wedges: MP R 50.5 SM 54.12 MP R 58.10Putter: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Mid SlantCorrect me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key...

Absolutely. My pings were fitted with orange groups, and they are much more comfortable and easy to play. It feels right in my hands. Regular grips dont.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I tend to grip lightly on the club and occasionally when i hit one on the toe the club will turn in my hands. Could this partially be due to the older grips? My grips are 4 years old so i think the new look and feel will help me because it will be mental and i think they are the greatest thing ever.

4 years? yea i'd say it's time for some new grips. unless they are leather wraped which i doubt cause this isnt the 1970's. but 4 years is i'd say 3 1/2 years expired.

I agree with the previous posts....the first factor is the right size grip for you...I played standard for so long and then went to a larger grip....wow....much better release due to relaxed hands/wrists/forearms....just a more comfortable overall feel.

The 3-4 stroke improvement....maybe under really humid conditions and you are playing worn out grips and someone suddenly slips a proper fitting corded grip on all your clubs.....I think you'd see a serious improvement.

I never let my grips get too worn / slick so there isn't a huge difference when I change them.

I think the old standard of changing them once every year seems to be a fair interval for most of us.

Another factor is gaming the right glove, too. I can't stand the really thick gloves....just lose something with them. The Titleist cabretta leather gloves are sublime....I'll go for these every time!!!! Very thin leather that welds with the grip with very....very.....light hand pressure.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I would question 3-4 strokes saved, but they do make a difference on feel and confidence. I try to regrip my clubs at the beginning of every year. One of the little things that gets me excited about a new season of golf. I don't always regrip every club, for sure the driver and my gap wedge.

If you are still using the same grips from 4 years ago, you will be surprised at how the feel of the club will improve and hopefully your confidence.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I think they do I seem to get more feel out of the clubs when I have new grips on them as aposed to warn ones. I dont know if they will knock off a bunch of strokes off your score but they make a differance in the feel I think.

it really depends on how much you golf and what kind of grips you play. for instance, some grips, like tour velvets are incredibly durable...they don't lose their feel really easily. Winn grips on the other hand, while they feel great, don't hold up to moisture nearly as well (at least the older winn grips). if your grips are really out of shape, regripping will definitely save you stroke. Here are reasons why you should regrip:
1. If your grips are the wrong size, then it could make it difficult for you to get your hand in the right position at impact. I play midsize grips, which allow me to ease up the tension in my fingers and make it easier to get the club square at impact.
2. Your grips are old and beat up, small slips can cause bad shots which equal extra strokes. i always wipe my grips dry after a round or a session at the range.

i regrip every off season just to keep the condition of my grips consistent. if you start doing this, do it yourself...just need a few tools and supplies, some of which you may already have. its a relatively low cost thing you can do to keep your equipment performing well. 40 bucks a year is cheaper than a dozen balls in some cases and its my experience that good grips are better than expensive balls

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Maybe I should look into larger grips. I'd never really thought about it before. I'm a pretty big guy. My hand measures 8" from middle finger to wrist and a XL glove is almost too tight till I get a few weeks of use on it.
Golf Pride's site says a men's XL glove size should use roughly a midsize to jumbo grip. I didn't think my fingers wrapped around THAT far, but if I put a little pressure I can roll my fingernails all the way back into my palm.

Dang, another reason to go to the golf store, darn the luck

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I have yet to change my grips and its been a year since I started. The grips still feel fairly tacky even though I golf fairly often while its still warm out. How often do you guys play that you need to change every year?

« Keith »

i play 18 like 3 times a month, but try to be on the range at least 3 times a week...which is probably less than most of you. while it may not be completely necessary to change my grips once a year, i just feel like it is preventative maintenance to keep my equipment performing well for me year after year, and it comes at a fairly low cost and very little time (could probably do my whole bag in about a half hour). i don't wear gloves, so to me the feel of grips is very important and thats why i go through the trouble of regripping every year

in my bag:

Driver: '08 Cobra F Speed LD 10.5 w/UST Proforce V2 Tour Flight stiff

Fairway: Adams Speedline Fast10 3-wood w/Aldila Wasabi stiff
Hybrid: Nickent 3dx 3H
Irons: Nike CCI forged 4-pw Wedges: Nike Victory Red 52 56 60 Putter: Rife Mr. Beasley Balls: Bridgestone B330-RX Tees: epoch

Note: This thread is 5455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!