IGNORED

Hitting off heel of driver

tmf9
Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im having a problem hitting off the heel of my driver. Im hitting everything else solid pretty much but It seems I always hit it off the heel even when I draw the ball. It really has be puzzled does anyone know what I might be doing?

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

You might be standing too far from the ball and instinctively moving towards the ball to compensate on the downswing.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I tee up the ball with my driver, I don't line up center square with the driver head. Instead, I line up the ball at the heel of the driver because when I hit the ball that's how I make contact center of the club.

Watch Vijay driver set up and he doesn't set up ball and driver club face on center but the end result is center solid contact.

You can try to fix your swing to cure the problem but in the meantime try aligning the ball at the toe of the driver at set up and you will hit the driver on center.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Check your setup, you may be standing too close the ball?

This is my guess. If it isn't this then you might be standing too far away and your mind is compensating for the distance but to be honest that is rarely the case.

2004 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion
2005 Northern Iowa Player Of The Year
2006 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion
2007 Iowa Co-Ed Golf State Champion
2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

You might be standing too far from the ball and instinctively moving towards the ball to compensate on the downswing.

I think that might be it. My Uncle has said sometimes it looks like im standing to far away from the ball with my driver.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

Let's get techy! Where is the ball in relation to your feet?

2007 State Drive, Chip and Putt Champion2008 Iowa Girl's Golf 2A Individual State Champion2009 College Division Iowa Junior Tour...

Let's get techy! Where is the ball in relation to your feet?

You should always have the ball lined up with the heel of your left foot so that you are able to properly turn behind it on the downswing. By doing this correctly (and standing at a proper distance from the ball) you should hit sweet spot everytime.

For me, I don't know if anyone else does this, my pro told me to put my driver club face up to the ball so that the ball is towards the top middle of the face.

You should always have the ball lined up with the heel of your left foot so that you are able to properly turn behind it on the downswing. By doing this correctly (and standing at a proper distance from the ball) you should hit sweet spot everytime.

I totally agree with that. Setting up with the ball towards the heel or toe of the club can subconsicously make you "move" to get to the ball.

Thanks for these replies because my friend has this same problem so I will direct him here

What's In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11s 9* w/ Fujikura Motore F1
3 Wood: TaylorMade R11s w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki 
Irons: Taylormade R11
Wedges: Titleist SM4 Vokey 52.08, 56.11, 60.04 
Putter: Odyssey Metal-X #9
Ball: Taylormade Penta TP5

Thanks for all the help guys, I was playing 9 holes today and by the end of hole number 5 I figured out I was straighting out my right arm causing me to hit it off the heel. The last 3 holes I finished birdie, bogey, birdie, and I only bogeyed the hole because I nailed my pitching wedge and hit it over the green.

What's in my bag?

When I have this problem it tends to be a weight distribution issue. I kind of lunge at the ball and move closer to the ball in the middle of my swing. This will cause you to hit off the heel.

Pay attention to where your weight is in the swing also. Just a thought.

Hitting the heel of the driver is most likely as someone said, an over the top issue, as the left arm folds too soon before impact the body comes forward to catch the ball at least on the heel. Really work on flattening the swing by making practice swings 6 inches above the ball. Take the club back, then over and down to the ball in slow motion keeping the left arm extended all the way up and down until past impact. Club cannot get outside if you maintain the left arm extension through impact and note you make center contact. The lost of balance forward follows the OTT move. Setting up with the upper body tilted back from the target so the weight is on the rear foot at setup helps flatten the swing and minimze the OTT move.

One further note, a violent right shoulder move outwards, ie., OTT, will in and of itself cause the body to move forward so as to catch the ball on the heel, no matter how far or close you are to the ball. Good players drop the right shoulder down in the downswing, not out, so they rarely fall forward or lose their balance.

I have the same problem. Seems no matter where I place the club head in relation to the ball (at the toe, just outside of the toe), I seem to hit it on the heel.

Based on the posts, I need to keep my left arm extended and my right elbow in, good weight distribution (60% right leg, 40% left leg), and nice smooth swing. Did I miss anything else I need to concentrate on?

Be aware of your balance and any body movement during the swing, you don't want your weight shifting on your toes or heels or your upper body swaying towards or away from your target.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3364 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!