IGNORED

New to Golf

Keith412
Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

27 years oldf from Massachusetts, decided to take up golfing the middle of July (was given a set as a wedding present). I played a few nine hole courses before i decided lessons were the way to go. I have had four lessons now and i feel i have definately benefited from them. On the same course i have played five times now, shot a 117, 109, 107, 101 and 99.

Signed up for more lessons now too, can't wait to continue playing. Only regret is i waited this long to start

Rapture Driver (12 degrees)
Rapture V2 4 Wood (17.5 degrees)
Rapture Hybrid (21 Degrees)
X-24 Hot Irons (4 through PW)
CG15 Wedges, 48, 52 and 58 degrees Method Putter #1 HX Hot Plus Golf Balls

Welcome to this great game Keith. I've been playing over 20 years and even now every round holds a surprise, good or bad!!
Be prepared to

a) see less of the wife
b) spend mucho money
c) have your heart broken with alarming regularity
d) feel highs that you never thought you'd experience

In the bag......
Driver: Ping G10 10.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
3 wood: Ping G10 15.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
5 wood: Ping G10 18.5 Prolaunch Red regular.
Hybrids: Ping i15 20 degree AWT regular (on order!)4-PW: Ping i15 AWT regularGap Wedge: Ping Tour-W 50/12 AWT regular (on order!)Sand Wedge:...

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome to this great game Keith. I've been playing over 20 years and even now every round holds a surprise, good or bad!!

said it best. however he forgot to add

e) golf clubs will be all over the house f) golf channel on all the time g) golf shop employees know you by first name! have fuN!

Driver Tour Burner 10.5 NV stiff shaft
r7 limited 9.5 ozik shaft
3 wood 906f4 proforce v2 stiff
2hybrid Rescue Tour Launch
3hybrid Dual HybridIrons 4-pw CCI forged S300Sand 56* CG14 WedgeLob Vokey 260.06Putter VP1 putterBall: HX Tour/used pro V1

said it best. however he forgot to add

h) golf tees in the washing machine i) score cards all over the house j) the itch to play the next day welcome!

Whats in the Four 5?

Burner 10.5 Stiff
Burner 3W
CPR 22/26 HybridsG5 5-PW Black Dot +2 Vokey Sm OilCanSV Tour 60* Black FinishBarbadosPro-V1 recycled

Welcome to the forum! Some advice I wish I was given years ago... Spend most of your practice time from green to tee. As in, spend more time on putting and shots from 100 yds in.

Welcome to the forum! Some advice I wish I was given years ago... Spend most of your practice time from green to tee. As in, spend more time on putting and shots from 100 yds in.

Agreed. Putting and the game within 100 yds of the green is where you will take the most strokes off your score.

Congrats on the wedding BTW - Golf Clubs are a great wedding gifT!

looks like you got a pretty nice beginners set, I started out with walmart clubs so you shouldnt have to upgrade for a long time, can spend more money on range time and being out on the course. I like golf because its the one sport you can play by yourself as I play a lot alone. If ive got a spare couple hours, I can go play 9 holes. Lately Ive been working a lot of overtime but I work in the evening and can find time to play at least a couple times a week during the afternoon before work, weather permitting, i.e. not raining like recently.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

Agreed. Putting and the game within 100 yds of the green is where you will take the most strokes off your score.

i disagree i would practice full swings first i mean does it really matter if you make that 5 footer for double bogey?? id rather be on in two with a chance a birdie

I know how you feel about starting earlier. First picked up the game in my mid 30's...let it go for more than a decade and a half and just picked it up again. Just take it slow and enjoy the game for what it is. Sometimes you have to keep your ego in the bag and play the more appropriate shot.

Eclipse Stand Bag
Big Bertha 2007 460 11°
Big Bertha 2007 3w 16°
Big Bertha 2007 7w 22°
C9 475 2h 18° Insight XTD 5i-SW White Hot XG #7--------------------------------http://www.linkedin.com/in/normh3

Welcome to the greatest game.

Amen to to A - J listed earlier. However, your not truly a golfer until your wife threatens to leave you if you go play that morning, rather than going to your brother in laws church BS get-together thing that she should have the soul excuse you from in the first place!!!........and you go anyway. She doesnt understand!!! Thats when you realize that women, friends, jobs, gods, years...all come and go, but golf will always be there waiting for you. Amen

-Beane

i disagree i would practice full swings first i mean does it really matter if you make that 5 footer for double bogey?? id rather be on in two with a chance a birdie

Any coordinated athlete can make contact with the golf ball. Getting on in 2 or getting on in three isn't a big difference. If you can't put the ball out being 3-4 feet away you could pick-up 3-4 extra strokes rather than 1 or two getting to the green.

richieb

Any coordinated athlete can make contact with the golf ball. Getting on in 2 or getting on in three isn't a big difference. If you can't put the ball out being 3-4 feet away you could pick-up 3-4 extra strokes rather than 1 or two getting to the green.

thats how i learned from the tee to the green.ive seen many a players beginning that have decent short game/putting but can hit the ball only 50 yds at a time.i vote for full swing 3/4 of the time and short game 1/4 of the time.

Hi all,

Welcome to the rest of your life. A life full of frustration, agonies, enduring friendships, amazing memories and humility. You'll never be alone as even in the furthest flung corners of the globe, somebody, somewhere will be playing the great game.

Now in my 64th year of playing the game. Yes, it's been frustrating at times, agonizing at others. On the whole though my life has been enriched through my experiences on the course. My outlook on life has improved and I've been fortunate to make some true and lasting friendships. Welcome and may all your balls be long and the rough just out of range.

Welcome, Keith. New here myself.

Honestly, someone fresh to the game has to work on EVERYTHING, and coming in from 500 yards with a group behind you is very intimidating in the beginning if you don't know how to make full swings properly and get the ball moving towards the hole rather than topping/hitting fat and sending the ball down 40 yards at a time into hazards and tall grass littered with leaves that look like golf balls.

I've seen some people hit full swings mostly fine in the beginning, but can't putt or chip for the life of them. And then players like myself where it was the other way around, I couldn't get my 5 iron up in the air/going straight if I was paid $100 to do it, but I could get the ball in the hole with 2 putts or less most of the time. And forget about hitting a wood! Now I am at the point where it is the 100 yards and in shots where most of my 21 extra strokes comes from, and a couple from long approach misses. So that is what I work on now. Different strokes for different folks, pun intended. Nah, I think an absolute beginner needs to first learn the basic fundamentals of a full swing with short irons, then pick up wedges/putters/woods/drivers/long irons one step at a time and get comfortable in the tee box with your group as well as the 4some waiting behind you watching you try to find a fairway. As a high handicapper myself, I am pretty familiar with the pressures of the game on us not so great players, and in that situation it is a RELIEF when you finally get your ball comfortably on the green.
Welcome to the rest of your life. A life full of frustration, agonies, enduring friendships, amazing memories and humility. You'll never be alone as even in the furthest flung corners of the globe, somebody, somewhere will be playing the great game.

That was beautiful. I hope to make a speech like this someday myself, and tell all the kids about the steel shaft technology of our time, tungsten weighted club heads, 2 piece balls, and most importantly, SHARP grooves! haha

Grom stand bag
SQ 5900 - 9.5*
Burner 15* and 18*
MT 20* Hybrid
CG Gold 4-PW CG14 52.10 SM 56.14 IC 20-10a 34" Putter SDF balls (was on sale)

Note: This thread is 5316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!