IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Still having trouble shortening the swing. Making to much of a turn and getting way to much width with the hands. Also trying to gain proper shoulder tilt, I'm loosing my steady head. This has caused a bad case of the chunks. The endless perfection of golf continues.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the range today. Speeding up the arms descending in the downswing before everything rotates is working out pretty good as a way for me to come from the inside better.

Erik, still can't hook the ball ;), but at least i am getting them to push now. I just have a hard time getting my hands to go right, and not want to cave in left. I think my mind is saying, HOOK LEFT, so my hands are like, WERE GOING LEFT. Which causes this nice heavy hit on the ground and a low pull cut.

Still got to beware of my ball position, when it creeps to far back, it makes it every hard to not flip at the ball. I started to move it more forward, this brought my hands more forward, and it helped me shallow out the swing. You'd be surprised how alignment can naturally fix a few things ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• Administrator

Keep working at it. A little of the "revving" may get the pushes to draw back, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"Rewing"???

Are you talking about the reverse motorcycle drill, getting that lead hand to turn down a bit more?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

"Rewing"???

It doesn't say that. It says revving. r-e-v-v-i-n-g. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, my internet browser has the v's so close together they look like a w

Maybe its time to switch the text format ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 1 month later...

@mvmac

In the wrist hinge video, w h ere you show Matt Kuchar. I have issues with trying to get more hinge in my swing earlier. It causes me to get very steep in the downswing. When I do this, I hinge then I just bash the clubhead down and thump the ground very hard. Just curious if the re is a another way to get the clubhead outside the hands?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

@mvmac

In the wrist hinge video, where you show Matt Kuchar. I have issues with trying to get more hinge in my swing earlier. It causes me to get very steep in the downswing. When I do this, I hinge then I just bash the clubhead down and thump the ground very hard. Just curious if there is a another way to get the clubhead outside the hands?

Are you seeing your swings on video?  You may just need to do it more or it could be another piece, tough to say for sure.  Just post or send me a swing and I'll let you know what I think.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

In the wrist hinge video, where you show Matt Kuchar. I have issues with trying to get more hinge in my swing earlier. It causes me to get very steep in the downswing. When I do this, I hinge then I just bash the clubhead down and thump the ground very hard. Just curious if there is a another way to get the clubhead outside the hands?

At the end of the day, sometimes you just make yourself do it.

When I do the hinge, I am moving just my hands, and not rotating my hips. My concentration is so much on my hands, that I am keeping way too much flex in my back knee for to long. This is causing a giant turn, and a lot of head movement. Of course this is a drill, so I might not be thinking that anything good can come from a full swing yet.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

When I do the hinge, I am moving just my hands, and not rotating my hips. My concentration is so much on my hands, that I am keeping way too much flex in my back knee for to long. This is causing a giant turn, and a lot of head movement. Of course this is a drill, so I might not be thinking that anything good can come from a full swing yet.

Hands in, clubhead out.

The only way to take the hands in is to let the hip get out of the way a bit.

When you rehearse the drill, add a little hip turn, like Erik said, hands in club head out, hip turn allows for the "in". Make two practice waggles, little hip turn, hands in, clubhead out and then hit it.

Mike McLoughlin

I figured out what I was doing wrong. It goes back to the lesson I had with Erik on fixing how deep my right elbow gets in the golf swing, to the point were it gets stuck behind my back. (right shoulder blade getting squeezed towards the spin). I was getting stuck there with the drill. So I went back to the basics and worked on keeping that right elbow away from my body more. That really help shorten the swing and keep me stable. From there I could do those drills a lot more success.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
Good to hear. It often happens that going back to a prior lesson will solve a "current" problem.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since posting here. Weather has not been kind this winter. Hoping to get to the heated range once or twice this week to get a video update.

Been practicing in the apartment, got the mirror up and doing some slow work.

So things I am solid with now.

Steady head, really getting this down. Really tied to my back swing.

Weight forward is solid, again tied to my back swing as well.

Flat left wrist is coming along nicely, having more efficiency with keys 1 and 2 helps.

So as for the back swing. Really been working on slow motion work to get the club more vertical and the clubhead outside the hands. The problem arises when I pull my hands to far behind me with out proper hip turn. This will create false hand depth and pull me lateral, cause the forearms to rotate, and when in a full swing cause a steep angle of attack. Really hard to keep it shallow out of that position. Also really working on getting my left elbow from getting behind me. Working on the diagonal swing path. I will do a lot of slow swings in the mirror, check the position and modify if I need to. I found that for me, having years of a long swing that I need to really feel like the hands just rise up. The rotation will be there. I'll get the shoulders near 90, and the hips near 45. I just need to raise the hands up and keep the left elbow from crashing behind me. From there it is very very very easy to drop the club more inside, and get the hands to do what I want. Really it's just trusting that the hands will have depth do to the correct shoulder turn and hip turn. Tough to do when I spent 15 years pulling my hands back and in to start the back swing.

So keeping the backswing shorter in length, trusting the hips to get the depth i need for the hands, and getting the club on plane really shores up the steady head and weight forward because I am not forcing my weigh to my right foot.

Update on the driver. I was watching a Mark Crossfield video on youtube. He was trying to get this guy to swing up on the driver. I really like the feel he said, that you almost want to cast the club. From the top of the swing for me its drop the arms fast to get the club more inside, and almost feel like i am painting the ground with a brush with my right hand. I want a wide sweeping arch with that right hand. Kinda a casting feeling. Really it is just a feel. When I did that at the golf simulator I found that I maintained the V in my arms longer in the finish, and I hit up much more, and got the path a bit more right. Really striping a push draw. Maybe not a feel for some people. As a person who has a ton of lag, use to hitting down on the driver with a steep angle of attack, this total opposite feel really helps to swing up. If I don't then I might drop my head back to try to lift the club path, this causes a nasty back arch and a nasty flip at the ball.

Looking forward to SPRING!!!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I am finding that holding at pressure point on the right arm is really working out for me. Getting my right arm less stuck behind me, and I don't get to long in the swing because I will loose pressure if I do. Just overall feeling of the swing practicing feels good. By good I mean doesn't feel like my old swing habits. Hopefully to get some video up in the next few weeks once I get a day above freezing. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yeah that's a great video Erik and Dave did. Here's one I did to really exaggerate the feel.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Think I got the backswing figured out. Really working on with with a propped up mirror.

The downswing I really am starting to feel the whole "Rev" the wrist thing. Right now I got to feel a pause at the top of the swing to start that feeling, just sets the club. It's getting more and more comfortable. What the pause does it freezes my hips so I don't spin out and get a reverse weight shift.

I have an issue with getting very very fast with the hips. I think this is common with people who get stuck with the club behind them, when they create depth with their hands only. They have to reroute, but I think better players tend to speed up the hips more to minimize the over the top move. My swings are a lot more stable when I get a solid backswing turn, then fire through with the arms.

So I pause the hips and drop the arms with that "Rev" the wrist move to get the club inside. When I do take a swing indoors it is about 50-60%, and I can notice how the carpet changes direction when I brush it. when I nail that move the carpet is very much inside to out.

This is pretty tough for me be because the "rev" move is a left side feel. A good indicator for me is that my right arm gets very very extended, almost dragged into the finish. I think this is because when i get the "Rev" motion it forces the path to the right so it can't go left. When it can't go left the whole swing gets extended more in the finish, more width. I think if you look at Zach Johnson and how he holds that V into the finish. He has tremendous extension. You see a problem with many people who slice the ball, they "Chicken wing" the left arm, and the club gets close to the body in the finish. Also the outside to in path causes the hands to dive inward quicker, so the swing feels like hands are way too close to the body.

I find it better not only to just try to feel the move, but to feel the change elsewhere in the swing as well.

Can't wait till next weekend, 50 degree weather and I'll get some video.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag