IGNORED

Irons too lofty?

Note: This thread is 5122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I feel like I'm hitting my irons too lofty. I'm getting a decent amount of distance out of them, I guess (7 iron's 145-150) but when i compare my trajectory with anyone else's, it looks like I'm hitting a wedge... and I mean even on up to my 3 iron. Got any tips?

yeah i have that problem too. are you picking the ball? or are you hitting down on the ball? (taking a divot after the ball)

BAG:Nike ExtremeSport 2
DRIVERTaylormade R11
WOODAdamsgolf Insight
IRONSMizuno MX-100's
WEDGEPing 60 & Mizuno MP R Series 56 PUTTERSeemore FGPLOWEST 9:36LOWEST18:74

yeah i have that problem too. are you picking the ball? or are you hitting down on the ball? (taking a divot after the ball)

Picking the ball? And I think my divots are more centered under the ball than in front...

Picking the ball? And I think my divots are more centered under the ball than in front...

I am the same exact way. Do you occasionally hit one thin or fat? I am usually not out on the toe or heel, but I think due to the way i strike the ball it causes some inconsistencies up and down on the club head.

I think the most issue here is not maintaining wrist angle through contact. IF you start holding onto the angle more, you might push or push slice a bit, but to counter than you need to just rotate through earlier with the upper body.

For me i like my golf ball to be like it is shot out of a cannon. Just goes in one straight angle up and out, then it just falls down on the target.Tat what it looks like from my point of view.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been hitting them fat today, but I think it's due to the steeper angle of attack on irons, and it causes me to bring my divot right under the ball. Even with the tee drill, I get the tee, but I still make a divot under the ball.

Try working on the flying wedge and stick a glove under your left armpit, which you keep there through the swing.

The flying wedge is the angle between your right arm and shaft, maintained by the right wrist. If you release the angle, flipping the club over, you add loft to the club.

Divot under the ball could mean you got the weight too far back at impact. But really, without a video it's hard to tell.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've been hitting them fat today, but I think it's due to the steeper angle of attack on irons, and it causes me to bring my divot right under the ball. Even with the tee drill, I get the tee, but I still make a divot under the ball.

What's the tee drill?

I am the same exact way. Do you occasionally hit one thin or fat? I am usually not out on the toe or heel, but I think due to the way i strike the ball it causes some inconsistencies up and down on the club head.

Oh yeah. I'm not super consistent with my ball striking.. I hit fat a lot more than thin though

The tee drill is a drill where you put a tee a few inches in front of your ball, and try to hit the ball and the tee. It really doesn't work for me, as it changes nothing, but it works for some.

I'd rather put a towel (one you don't mind potentially ruining) behind the ball a couple of inches. The idea is to avoid hitting the towel. If you can swing without hitting it, move it closer to the ball. It forces you to get the swing bottom more forward. Still, I'd rather work on better hip push and the flying wedge, or whatever the problem is. Using obstacles or items to hit/avoid can help, but it may not teach you anything. There is a reason for the bottom of the swing being too far back. Just using a tee or towel to prevent hitting may lead to many different ways of avoiding the item.

And ultimately, if you hit 10 balls well, how will you know what you did different, and how will you keep it consistent? Use a video camera to find the potential location of the problem and start fixing that, instead of using random drills and tips. If anything, look into the S&T; principles with the weight forward.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 5122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!