IGNORED

When did you start Golf?

Steven McFarlane
Note: This thread is 4919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When Did you Start

• Kid 0-12
    • Teenager 13-16
    • Young Adult- 17-19
    • Adult 20+

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in my early twenties. I played alot for about a year, and then about 4 years went by where I only played about twice a year (kids, office job, no money, etc.). I've gotten serious about my game in the last 6 months, and I'm shooting in the low 90s now. I'm hoping to get a score in the 80s before the year is out.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I started playing when I was 16 years old and I've been to the heights and down to the lows over the years. In my twenties I played par and on rare occassions under par. Quit for 10 years to coach little league baseball with my two sons. Took it back up around 40 and never regained the feel I once had. Got down to around a 7 handicap and now I'm struggling to stay under 85 all the time.

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

• Administrator

I went to a summer camp with my cousin the summer before my freshman year. We hit balls off tees and putted. That was all it took to get me hooked. I bought a 7-iron for $20 (probably a ripoff!) and swung it all winter. That Christmas, I used my Christmas and Birthday money to buy my first set of clubs - Nicklaus/MacGregor VIPs with persimmon woods, 3-PW and 1/3/5 iron with a Bullseye-type putter.

I made the golf team my first year playing, averaging about 95. The next two years I averaged 85 and 75, respectively, winning the Junior EDGA (Erie District Golf Assoc.) stroke play tournament the summer before my senior year. At districts that year, I shot 89 (yeah!) 72 to finish as first alternate to go to states. My team won our ECL (Erie County League) championship the three years I played and two years in a row after I left.

I picked up the game pretty quickly. Now I wish my average was 75, despite being a better all-around player. I didn't hit it far enough back then to get into as much trouble as I do now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started golfing about 2 years ago. I was varsity 5th spot in my first tournament (last year). I didn't do too well, but you can understand why. It was actually the second 18 hole round I had ever played. Since then I've dropped my handicap about 20 points.

Driver: HiBore 9.5°, UST ProForce V2 67g
Woods: Launcher Steel 15°
Hybrid: Halo 2i 19°, 3i 22°
Irons: CG4 4-PW
Wedges: CG10 52°, 56° Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 Balls: NXT Tour, Pro V1, Nike One, Callaway HX

I started golfing after my old sports, baseball and basketball, track were to frustrating to continue after my closed head injury, (think stroke). Plus went from being a natural lefty to right handed. I was 27. Three years after I was injured.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I didn't start until about 10 years ago -- and I'm 56 now. I was motivated by office politics. Everybody played and there were several "team building" events around golf outings at the company where I used to work. Got hooked on the few times I inexplicably hit decent shots.

Which was particularly interesting since, growing up, I thought golf was about the dumbest thing one could do. Walking around all day in ugly clothes in insufferable summer heat. What was fun about that?

Now I know. It just took me a lifetime to find out.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Well, I started playing when I was 13, made a hole-in-one at 14, played every day that summer and made my varsity high-school team by the end of my freshman year. Wish improvement came that quick these days! Oh, wait, that work thing gets in the way...
In the bag:
Driver: 8.5 deg Titleist 905S w/ Fujikura Pro 95 S-flex
3-wood: 14.5 deg Titleist 975F w/ DG X-100
Hybrid: 19 deg Cleveland Halo w/ DG X-100
Irons (4-PW): Taylor Made X-300 FCI Prototype w/ Rifle Flighted 6.5Wedges: 52.08, 56.14, 60.04 deg Titleist Vokey Black Nickel FinishPutter: Yes!...

Started to play at 52 - been at it for 6 years.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I started golf around the around or 11-12, played high school golf, than got a baseball scholarship, done playing ball now getting serious about golf again at the age of 22.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I can remember my grandpa, a single-digit before his stroke, playing golf. He took me out for a round when I was around twelve but it was impossible for me to put any effort into it as I lived in Alaska. I was into music, fishing, killing deer and bear, and flying in float planes during my teen years.

I took up the game in earnest almost two and a half years ago, past my thirtieth birthday. So I'm a little behind the curve but am enjoying the challenge.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A friend of mine took me to a driving range a couple of times. I didn't even have my own clubs since I couldn't afford it. I was 26.

Now, I put together a set and start playing every week.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

My buddy dragged me out to the range two years ago at the tender age of 29. All it took was that one time to get hooked. I don't play as often as I like but I go the range every week and have a 27 handicap.

In my bag:

TaylorMade R7 Superquad - 11.5 deg - Diamana Whiteboard 63-S
Tour Edge Exotics - CB2 16 deg - Diamana Redboard 73-S
Taylormade V-Steel 24 deg - Diamana Redboard 83-STaylorMade R7 XD - 5i-AW Project X 6.552 deg Miura Forged Raw56 deg Fourteen MT-28/56V3 60 deg - Fourteen MT-28/60V2 P...

Note: This thread is 4919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!