IGNORED

How many of you still carry a 3 iron?

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I play my Nike Pro Forged Combo set or my Titleist Tour Model Blades I carry the 3 iron-my Mizuno MX-200 4 iron is 23* (what a 3 iron used to be), so I usually just add a 5 wood or hybrid, though I've considered ordering the MX-200 3 iron individually.

they actually are made for the average golfer. tour pros use them because they need toi get the ball up in the air faster making them better for the average golfer because most golfers have problems getting their long irons to the optimal launch angle so the hybrids just fix that for them. atleast the hybrids we buy. you have to special order the tour issue ones if you can even get your hands on them

Sure, but most of us use different drivers and irons that are tuned for lower-ability players. That doesn't mean that drivers or irons are intended for hackers. The hybrid is a different club than the long iron and it suits a different purpose. I don't think you can categorically say that hybrids are better or worse than irons, they're simply different. If you need the shot that you can get from a 3I, then yes of course, the 3I is better for making that shot...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I still carry and use my 3i. I will use my 3i over my 3w or 5w cause it is straight and fairly long and far easier to control.

Hit the Big Dogg

In the bag
Burner TP Tour 9.5 Driver
3w-P Rac 56* Olivia PutterOne or ProV1 Ball

guess i'm one of few in this... but i recently put away my 3i. Not sure about you guys but my 3w and 5w go as straight as i need it to. I find myself mishitting a 3 iron more so than a 5wood or 3 wood. I recently put a 3 hybrid in to replace my 3 iron and am enjoying the benefits of it.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I just switched to a Driver, 2+ wood, 2 iron setup. I'm really digging it. I have the 2 wood to hit it long off the turf, and the 2 iron when I need accuracy. That 2 wood I have has a rock hard X shaft, it's like a telephone pole, and you can just go at it really hard. The 2 iron has a rifle 6.5, and it's a cavity back, so it's nice and easy to hit.

I just switched to a Driver, 2+ wood, 2 iron setup. I'm really digging it. I have the 2 wood to hit it long off the turf, and the 2 iron when I need accuracy. That 2 wood I have has a rock hard X shaft, it's like a telephone pole, and you can just go at it really hard. The 2 iron has a rifle 6.5, and it's a cavity back, so it's nice and easy to hit.

I'm getting DG X100s put into both my hybrids right now, they'll also be 1/2 inch shorter. I know I'll lose a tiny bit of distance-but if I can't count on them not to hook their way into the desert they're useless anyway.

I'm getting DG X100s put into both my hybrids right now, they'll also be 1/2 inch shorter. I know I'll lose a tiny bit of distance-but if I can't count on them not to hook their way into the desert they're useless anyway.

That's why I put X's in my own fairway woods. Sure, they feel like a rock, and I hit 'em low, but they are just-about-unhookable now and the ball keeps going directly at the pin.

That's why I put X's in my own fairway woods. Sure, they feel like a rock, and I hit 'em low, but they are just-about-unhookable now and the ball keeps going directly at the pin.

Good to hear, that's what I'm hoping for.

3 iron, yes. It's my 200 yard club, especially useful on long par 3s. Seems that I play a ton of course with par 3s right around 200 yds. 2 iron enters the bag on windy days - most frequently in the fall and when playing lynks courses - replacing the 7 wood.

Interestingly, I just saw last night that Tiger mentioned he has put the 2-iron back in his back to attack the lynks at St. Andrews.

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

or some of us actually do have a steep angle of attack making it easier to hit irons than it would for us to hit hybrids. also hybrids are genuinely not as good for shot making because they are made for the average hacker, not the single digit golfer who can handle a 3 iron. they are made for people with flat swings who need help getting the ball in that air. dont get me wrong, there great for the most people but what you call fooling themselves is actually just realization that people might not have the right swing for a hybrid. i have tried them and i just dont have the right swing so i stick with a 3 iron. im not fooling myself, i would just rather be able to take the swing iv knows since i started playing golf then change my swing for possibly 5 more yards.

that's an awfully pretentious and assuming comment. It's pretty asinine to say that hybrids are made for just hackers. Particularly when you consider that if you don't have the "right swing" to hit a hybrid the you may not have that good of a swing afterall.

that's an awfully pretentious and assuming comment. It's pretty asinine to say that hybrids are made for just hackers. Particularly when you consider that if you don't have the "right swing" to hit a hybrid the you may not have that good of a swing afterall.

He might be generalizing too much, but if his experience is anything like mine, it's can be a challenge to find a hybrid not set up for a player struggling with long irons. Many of the swing characteristics of a solid long iron player are not compatible with the average hybrid - IMHO.

There are plenty of players hybrids out there, but they probably won't be the ones featured in the weekly flyer.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The "average" hybrid for the regular golfer are for slow swingers
its ••••in hard to find a hybrid stock that doesnt have an insanely whippy shaft to get the ball in the air.
the ones that go on sale for really cheap fit this category

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Note: This thread is 5034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!