IGNORED

What Ball is your favourite?

Note: This thread is 6052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Greatings all,

As I have said earlier I am back into golf after about 15 years in the dark and boy have things changed. Previously I used a titleist balata (sp.) ball for maximum spin and control. Now it seems balls give you control and maximum distance. Yee ha!

I was wondering what balls people are using out there? I am using a Taylor Made Speed and I am unsure about the feeling this ball gives me both off the tee and around the greens.

What do you, the wealth of all wisdom suggest?

BigDog (Jase)

You may drive for show and putt for dough, but gee it feels good to rip the ball long!

"He has put some hurt on that ball Jack!"

Driver: R7 (BIGDOG)
3 wood: Ovation Tight Lies 630 VCG-RB
Hybrid: Staff 21 degreeIrons: 690 CB forged (4-PW)Wedges: 54 degreePutter: Guerin Rife Two Bar MalletBall: Bridgestone tour 330Home Course: http://gailesgolf.com.au

My personal favorite is the Pinnacle Gold Long Drive, but since I'm a cheap bastard who never buys balls, I almost never get my hands on these. (I usually hit shag balls, or those I found in the deep rough, or range balls). A close second is pretty much any other Pinnacle, as long as it isn't too old. That's followed by Callaways (any Callaway, but I like the HX Tour a lot), and a Pro V1, if I can get my hands on them.

And, I subscribe to the "grip it and rip it" strategy. I end up searching for wild tee shots all the time--perhaps it's good I'm not hitting five dollar Pro V1's.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Hey lamebums,

Grip it and rip it! I like your style. I leave that for the range, helps to rid the body of the frustrations of the day! I am finding that if I let the club do the work it will go a lot strighter and almost as far. But it is fun to get then right out there.

BigDog

"He has put some hurt on that ball Jack!"

Driver: R7 (BIGDOG)
3 wood: Ovation Tight Lies 630 VCG-RB
Hybrid: Staff 21 degreeIrons: 690 CB forged (4-PW)Wedges: 54 degreePutter: Guerin Rife Two Bar MalletBall: Bridgestone tour 330Home Course: http://gailesgolf.com.au

I off and on between the B300 and HX56.Got both on good deals so I stocked up before new models came out.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Welcome Big Dog, I use Callaway HX Hot, great for distance and I like their feel around the greens.

driver:G2 graphite reg flex
FW:HiBore 3w, G2 7w
Irons:: x20, 4-pw steel shaft uniflex
wedges: SW and GW, steel reg
Putter: G5 Craz-eBalls:Callaway HX Hot

Hard to beat the Pro V1

But if you can't spend $45 on a dozen (not many of us can) I like Titleist NXT Tour or Srixon Soft Feel (at least I think that's the name... they make some nice middle of the road balls).

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I am with Gunmetal - I love the Pro V1 but since money factors in, I also play the Titleist NXT Tour. Not a big fan of the Callaways.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Money no object - ProV1x (the new ball is more scuff resilient)

Money an issue - Bridgestone E6 or Practice/Blemish ProV1x's

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I play Callawy HX hot, Nike power soft, or occasionally Strata. The Callaway is better around the green, The Nike is the longest, The Strata is in the middle.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

ProV1 this year
I also play Nike Platnum
Last year I played the Maxfli Black Max.
In the bag.....
Burner Superfast
G10 3wd UST V2
hybrid
MP-32 CG10/11 52*,56*,58*,60* wedges Squareback Pro V1Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker T.E. laser range finderBushnell Neo GPS

Good thread and welcome Big Dog.

I'm with everyone else, money being besides the point I like the Pro V1x, but if I'm paying full price I like the HX Hot and the NXT Tour, both are fairly comparable to each other I think.

Its a good idea to look for sales on last year's model when the latest and greatest hit the shelves, good chance to save some dough on great golf balls. Also I found a guy on thesandtrap in the Market Place thread that sold me 42 used Pro V1's for 50 bucks. They were great too, very very few logos and none with damage.

Ebay is also an option, often times you still have to pay quite a bit though.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

Money no object - ProV1x (the new ball is more scuff resilient)

Hey AMG - How does that Bridgestone ball play? Soft, hard, middle... comparable to what? I haven't played it but want to try it. I tried a Srixon Soft Feel the other day and it was pretty good. Of course I do have a couple dozen Pro V1's but don't want to use them in these awful conditions we're having

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I liked them...they felt a little harder off the putter and not as long or soft as the ProV1's. They do seem to come off my clubs (lower irons) at a lot lower trajectory. For a 3 piece ball and at that price, you don't give up too much. It is what it is...a good mid priced 3 piece performance ball.

Da Bag:

TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I play with the HX Tour and HX Tour 56. I like the HX Tour better though.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

Not many fans of the Nike Ones hugh?? I like the Nike One Black for the windy Montana conditions. They stay lower. And the Platinums on calm days. Also, Ebay is a great place to pick up balls cheaper. You have to buy them in bulk but it pays over the long haul. I just bought a mix of 10 dozen new Nike One Blacks and Platinums for $320. Seems expensive until you break it down to $32 a dozen compared to $54 at my course.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I have played the Nike Plats for almost 3 years now. I have tried all the other multi-layer balls and I just like the fell of the Plats around and on the greens.

I will give you the same advice I gave to my friends about what ball to use. It doesn't matter what ball you use as long as it the same all the time. I don't care if it's the low compression cheapos or the expensive multi-layer balls. You can't have consistency if you don't consistently use the same equipment and the ball is part of your equipment. I never play with balls I find, even if they are Nike Plats. The Nikes I will use for hitting into the net in my basement and the other balls I just give them to my firends who hardly ever golf so they never have to buy balls.

Yes we are not pros but a ball the acts predictably will do wonders for your swing confidence.

Noodle's long and soft
Nike Mojo
Nike Juice
Nike One's

Those are my 4 balls of choice. I just sort of switch I'll buy a dozen of one then switch. And when I'm feeling like rewarding myself is when I spend the extra jack on the Nike One's.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

I was playing a twilight 9 holer the other day with a Japanese gentlemen that met on the course and he was playing a Precept ball #33 that seem to be "see through" or somewhat translucent. First time I've seen it and Hoki (or that is what I thought he said) spoke no english for me to ask him.

Anybody seen a ball like this? It looked interesting and he seemed to hit it pretty long.

Da Bag:

TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)

Note: This thread is 6052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!