IGNORED

Consistency through 18 holes

JonDavis
Note:Β This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, but so far am enjoying it immensely.

This was something I included in my "golf goals 2012" post, and wanted to see if there was any wisdom to be had on the subject.

I've noticed a trend in my game is to perform respectably well on the front nine, and then suffer on the back nine. I am aware of my fatigue when I start to play the back, but I cannot figure out how to correct it. I have tried having healthy snacks and the like, but that hasn't helped. The average round of 18 I play takes me about 4.5-5 hours. This seems long, but its appropriate to my skill level. (and I never play single) Anyone have any hints, tips or tricks about carrying the energy into the back nine?

Energy takes a while to be usable by the body. Some tips:

- Eat an energy rich breakfast like porridge

- Take some type of energy-giving food with you on the course and eat it around hole 6 so that it starts working by the back nine.

- Instead of carrying, invest in a push cart.

- Don't carry unnecessary crap in your bag - Make the bag as light as possible.

- Try to put less effort into the swing and keep the ball straighter; it's much less tiring walking forward Β through the fairway than zig-zagging all over the course up and down hills, into and out of trees etc.

- Carry 1-2 water bottles with you and keep hydrated.

Also bear in mind that the more you play the more used to trekking around a golf course your body gets.

SWING DNA
Speed [77]Β TempoΒ [5]Β ToeDown [5]Β KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5Β° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305Β [:-P]

over-train.... this is a technique used by athletes in every sport. when you play, go by yourself and play 27 holes, doing this repeatedly will make 18 holes feel like nothing... i used to fatigue as well, but this past summer i would play up to 72 holes in a day (obviously using a cart) but i definitely walked 36 on multiple occasions. its like olympic runners that run the mile train by running hard for 1.25 miles so the mile feels easier. hope this helps!

Seriously. If you are getting fatigued on the second 9 and it is not a very hot day or a hilly course you are seriously unfit and need to get in shape.

You aren't trekking to the South Pole.

Drink water and eat a banana after 6 holes.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Shorty, the Β OP Β failed to mention that he is 77 years old so naturally some fatigue is to expected. Wait until you get that old and then tell us that you are swimming 2 miles a day and also get fatigued.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Shorty, the Β OP Β failed to mention that he is 77 years old so naturally some fatigue is to expected. Wait until you get that old and then tell us that you are swimming 2 miles a day and also get fatigued.

If that wasΒ the case, then he would know why he is getting fatigued.

You don't think that that may have been something that may have been mentioned?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by JonDavis

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, but so far am enjoying it immensely.

This was something I included in my "golf goals 2012" post, and wanted to see if there was any wisdom to be had on the subject.

I've noticed a trend in my game is to perform respectably well on the front nine, and then suffer on the back nine. I am aware of my fatigue when I start to play the back, but I cannot figure out how to correct it. I have tried having healthy snacks and the like, but that hasn't helped. The average round of 18 I play takes me about 4.5-5 hours. This seems long, but its appropriate to my skill level. (and I never play single) Anyone have any hints, tips or tricks about carrying the energy into the back nine?

A couple things that might help.....If you are taking more than one practice swing before you hit, eliminate all the other practice swings.Β  This will help you conserve more energy.Β  Also, as far as snacks on the course, something that has helped me quite a bit it to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, then cut it into four equal pieces.Β  I eat one after three holes, then one after six, one at the turn, and one after the 12th hole.Β  Many golfers don't snack until they start to feel hungry and this causes your energy to dip.Β  You need to eat throughout the round to help keep your energy up all the way.

One final trick, play 27 holes or 36 holes occasionally to help build up stamina.Β  If this isn't possible, then hit a small bucket after 18 holes to help you build up more endurance.Β  If you notice, the pros do this all the time.

Benjamin Ehinger

You probably could benefit from some basic conditioning. You might go to the gym, working on strength, flexibility and cardio. For cardio, you could try running, treadmill, swimming or bicycling. Out-of-condition legs can really hurt your golf rounds.

Flexibility will not only help your swing, but it will allow you to work longer without getting sore. ConsiderΒ  dynamic stretching (purposeful motion which slowly warms up the muscles) before you hitΒ pre-round practice shots. Also,Β try a few post-round stretches. Blog our fitness forum for details.

As others have said, make sure you're properly hydrated. Also, consider getting sports drinks into the mix on the back nine. If you're out doing exercises for more than two hours, replenishing electrolytes usually helps the final hours.

Another note one hydration: Alcohol and caffeine drinks (coffee, tea) act as diuretics, and draw water out of your system. Certain medications do this also. So, go light on these drinks the day before you play. And, drink some water the night before.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Assuming you're physically good to go than look at what you are eating on the course. Everyone gave good advice and I usually have a couple of KIND bars in my bag that I eat throughout my round. The only other thing I would recommend is to not over think as it will get to you mentally and a 5 hour is tough mentally.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9Β 

Originally Posted by joekelly

@joekelly Nice of you to assume the best, but I am rather young and rather out of shape, as shorty pointed out. I have been improving, but I do feel that a little exercise will help, in addition to some other things.

Originally Posted by behing19

A couple things that might help.....If you are taking more than one practice swing before you hit, eliminate all the other practice swings.Β  This will help you conserve more energy.Β  Also, as far as snacks on the course, something that has helped me quite a bit it to make a peanut butter and banana sandwich, then cut it into four equal pieces.Β  I eat one after three holes, then one after six, one at the turn, and one after the 12th hole.Β  Many golfers don't snack until they start to feel hungry and this causes your energy to dip.Β  You need to eat throughout the round to help keep your energy up all the way.

One final trick, play 27 holes or 36 holes occasionally to help build up stamina.Β  If this isn't possible, then hit a small bucket after 18 holes to help you build up more endurance.Β  If you notice, the pros do this all the time.

Benjamin Ehinger

@behing19 Great advice about the sandwich. That makes a lot of sense, and seems to be consistent with my issues and food intake- I am going to try to spread out the food through my round, so that I don't crash between the time I feel hungry and the time the food starts kicking in again. Excellent advice. I also appreciate the thoughts about building up some endurance.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Assuming you're physically good to go than look at what you are eating on the course. Everyone gave good advice and I usually have a couple of KIND bars in my bag that I eat throughout my round. The only other thing I would recommend is to not over think as it will get to you mentally and a 5 hour is tough mentally.

@clubchamp Excellent comment on mental endurance. I've done a lot of research on the mental aspect of golf, and its a well-known fact that a golfer can't be in deep analytical thought through an entire round of golf. It's just too much. I've been working on trying to focus my heavy thinking to immediately before and after a swing. And then in between holes or driving/walking to my ball, just enjoying the scenery and joking around with the group. Definitely something I wrestle with.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Seriously. If you are getting fatigued on the second 9 and it is not a very hot day or a hilly course you are seriously unfit and need to get in shape.

You aren't trekking to the South Pole.

Drink water and eat a banana after 6 holes.

This.

Originally Posted by JonDavis

@joekelly Nice of you to assume the best, but I am rather young and rather out of shape, as shorty pointed out. I have been improving, but I do feel that a little exercise will help, in addition to some other things.

Are you slim or are you heavy?Β  If you're slim, then you should focus on getting more cardio in a day.Β  Go for 30 minute walks daily during your lunch hour.Β  If you're heavy, then do the same but add in an additionalΒ weight loss component of reducing your daily caloric intake.

I did the above (cadio and reducing daily calories) in 2008 and lost 35 lbs.Β  I didn't have a trainer, didn't use a fancy gym and I didn't buyΒ some custom daily meal package.Β  In 2011, I had some medical problems and I gained back 25 lbs.Β  At the beginning of this year, when I got back to full strength--and getting pissed at my weight gain, I started the whole process again.Β  So far, I've lost 15 lbs.

:titleist:Β :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Shorty, and others: my comments about OP's age were in jest. Β There are many factors involved in fatigue and not only physical exertion. Newbies to any sport, or motor skill, are very inefficient. When i take a newbie swimming she may exhaust herself in 10 minutes due to fear, inefficient muscle use, mental activity, etc. Β Same in golf. Β For me, as i have practiced more and played more these last 10 months i have improved my golf stamina, certainly by using less mental BS before each shot. Β I like to draw the analogy of learning a language. Β If learned early in life by age 18 no one thinks how to make a sound; it's automatic. If you are age 50 when taking up a new language then much of your initial activity is brain work, fear of failure, Β and using which muscles to make the strange new sound. Β It does irk me when Β those Β who learned golf as a youth don't seem to realize that beginners who are older just don't have the same knowledge and confidence set as the 'old-timer'.

Alright fellas,

I'm happy to report that this morning I walked 18 on an executive "pitch and putt" course, and for the first time in a long time, I didn't feel like I was getting fatigued near the end. In fact, I improved greatly on the back nine, and finished with back-to-back pars on 17 & 18. Further- my overall best score at that course improved by ten strokes. So I'm very pleased.

Thanks all for your excellent advice. I needed to get some fresh perspective on an old problem.

Note:Β This thread is 4430 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!