IGNORED

Struggling with your putts? 2 tips that will improve your putting instantly.

Note: This thread is 4335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There are 2 big things that people struggle with the most that i've seen, not getting solid contact on their putts and decelerating into their putts, especially short ones. If you watch pro players, the one thing you notice is that their putts almost always come clean off the putter so here's 2 tips to help you improve your putting and improve your scores.

Tip 1. Count to 5 before looking up after you strike the ball, you'd be amazed and how much people look up and change the path + level of their putter head. Sounds stupid doesn't it? Give it a try and let me know how ti works.

Tip 2. Spend some time on the putting green with this great tip that improved my putting OVER NIGHT. Go to the putting green and place 5 balls about every 3-6 inches from each other depending on the length of the putt and practice making each putt without hitting the ball behind the one your hitting. Setup like HOLE ()  ()  ()   ()  (). Not only will this tip help you accelerate through each put instead of decelerating, it will also greatly improve your short putting. I shot a 75 today with 9 1 putts today. Great putting will save you strokes when your not hitting it well off the tee as I was today.

I putt alright.  Matter of fact I have very few 3 putt's during my rounds of 9 holes.  I'll give the 5 second thing a try though.  I concentrate on not looking up through the follow through, but once the ball is off the putter face it's going to do what it is going to do and looking or not looking will have no effect on path.  I think the follow through is the most important at least it is for me.  thanks for the tips

Once I pick my line, determine my swing length, and set up, I focus strictly on the ball and keep my eyes on the spot of contact for a few seconds after contact.  The hole isn't going anywhere.  From there, I focus on gradual acceleration through the ball, and striking the ball at its equator.

I visualize the ball going into the hole and try to "feel" the distance the ball will travel and how much work it will be for the ball to get there, is it uphill? more work, is it down hill? less work. Once I can see the ball dropping and feel the amount energy used to get it there, I hold that image and make my stroke ensuring that I can see the after-image of the ball after it's gone. This last bit accomplishes the same thing as the 5 second count but it feels more "artistic" to me and putting is an art.

Great read on this kind of thing - Fred Shoemaker's "Extraordinary Putting"

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What's helped me is something that I picked up from Phil Mickelson's short game DVD.

Basically the follow through is 3 times as long as the back swing. (unless my maths isn't great - Phil says 25% back, 75% through)

It forces you to accelerate through the ball and has been working well for me since I implemented it.

Note: This thread is 4335 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!