IGNORED

Good irons for weekend golfer

Note: This thread is 4112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That looks like it'd be a good pick up for $350...

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Let me know what happens. I may place a bid myself. ;-):-D

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Well, here's a median "PGA Tour Trade In Value Guide" value for the clubs that you listed:

Ping G10 Driver - $40.00
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 SuperFast Fairway Wood - $45.00

Ping G10 Iron Set - $160.00

Assuming the used golf bag is around $50.00 at the high end and the "Odyssey Putter" is a guess, probably also $50.00 at the high end...

Your "estimated" total is $345.00.

I would not pay $500.00 for the used set that you referenced, but $350.00 to avoid the hassle of putting together your own set and dealing with a store would be worth it if that is something you wanted to do. $400 would the the most that he should be asking for, and $350.00 would be very fair if he is willing to do a friend/family discount.

$500.00 would just be an attempt at recovering some of the initial cost that they spent if they bought the clubs new themselves. The same logic applies to somebody privately selling a vehicle for much, much more than the Kelly Blue Book value.

Again, the estimated value can sway nearly $40.00 each way depending on the condition of the club ($40.00 more if they're practically mint - $40.00 less if they're "seasoned" and show signs of wear, dings, need re-gripped, etc.).

Originally Posted by Spyder

Well, here's a median "PGA Tour Trade In Value Guide" value for the clubs that you listed:

Ping G10 Driver - $40.00

TaylorMade Burner 2.0 SuperFast Fairway Wood - $45.00

Ping G10 Iron Set - $160.00

Assuming the used golf bag is around $50.00 at the high end and the "Odyssey Putter" is a guess, probably also $50.00 at the high end...

Your "estimated" total is $345.00.

I would not pay $500.00 for the used set that you referenced, but $350.00 to avoid the hassle of putting together your own set and dealing with a store would be worth it if that is something you wanted to do. $400 would the the most that he should be asking for, and $350.00 would be very fair if he is willing to do a friend/family discount.

$500.00 would just be an attempt at recovering some of the initial cost that they spent if they bought the clubs new themselves. The same logic applies to somebody privately selling a vehicle for much, much more than the Kelly Blue Book value.

Again, the estimated value can sway nearly $40.00 each way depending on the condition of the club ($40.00 more if they're practically mint - $40.00 less if they're "seasoned" and show signs of wear, dings, need re-gripped, etc.).

But the guy is not "trading" them in. He's selling them. Whats the sell value? This ain't pawnstars lol.

The putter in that set is as good as any putter you can buy at any price.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by GatorCallaway

But the guy is not "trading" them in. He's selling them. Whats the sell value? This ain't pawnstars lol.

lol I understand that. I'm just trying to help the guy out a little. In most industries, the "trade-in" value is obviously lower than what you could actually "sell" them for, or their real value. A retailer would get away with the $500.00 tag if they went to sell the set, however a private seller @ $500.00 is a little overboard in my own opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't go over the $400.00 mark that I set earlier - but that's just me. Not to plug anyone but you can pick up a great set of irons for $300.00 if you do your research, and use the extra $100-150 to pick up a very nice driver (See Class: Cobra S3, TM Burner Superfast 2.0).You'd only need a putter and a fairway wood to compare sets then, but you can pick up older model Odyssey putters for $30-50 new also (if you're going for an Odyssey - I referenced it because it's in the set in this topic).

I picked up my Odyssey Crimson 660 from MC Sports on sale for $49.99 and couldn't pass it up (even though I think it was mis-labeled at the time) and it's honestly better for me than the Anser that I used to use.

I wasn't swaying the OP either way though - just giving my opinion and a helping hand.

you can pick up older model Odyssey putters for $30-50 new also (if you're going for an Odyssey - I referenced it because it's in the set in this topic).

I picked up my Odyssey Crimson 660 from MC Sports on sale for $49.99 and couldn't pass it up (even though I think it was mis-labeled at the time) and it's honestly better for me than the Anser that I used to use.

I know you aren't focusing on the putter, but the Odyssey in that set is an Odyssey Black non insert milled putter. They retailed for over $300 when they came out.

Absolutely awesome feel.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

lol I understand that. I'm just trying to help the guy out a little. In most industries, the "trade-in" value is obviously lower than what you could actually "sell" them for, or their real value. A retailer would get away with the $500.00 tag if they went to sell the set, however a private seller @ $500.00 is a little overboard in my own opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't go over the $400.00 mark that I set earlier - but that's just me. Not to plug anyone but you can pick up a great set of irons for $300.00 if you do your research, and use the extra $100-150 to pick up a very nice driver (See Class: Cobra S3, TM Burner Superfast 2.0).You'd only need a putter and a fairway wood to compare sets then, but you can pick up older model Odyssey putters for $30-50 new also (if you're going for an Odyssey - I referenced it because it's in the set in this topic).

I wasn't swaying the OP either way though - just giving my opinion and a helping hand.

Agreed. Apparently the seller is awfully proud of his clubs.

Originally Posted by Shorty

I know you aren't focusing on the putter, but the Odyssey in that set is an Odyssey Black non insert milled putter. They retailed for over $300 when they came out.

Absolutely awesome feel.

Thanks, Shorty.

I was curious what model that was - resolution on the monitor that I am on right now is not that great. Unless of course he listed it and I overlooked it.

Unless I am doing something wrong, your math is going to be right around 500 dollars (300 irons 100 driver, 30 putter leaving 70 for fairway wood, bag and maybe wedges). Personally if I liked the clubs the deal is good enough that I wouldn't feel like I am getting ripped off.   Even I overpaid by 50 bucks or so, it would be worth it to avoid the potential ebay/craigslist sketchy seller. YMMV.

I am a little surprised that the Adams A-series hasn't been mentioned.  I'm not necessarily a beginner, but as someone who struggles breaking 100, I've been scouring iron sets after getting the Callaway Diablo driver (very well priced on callawaygolfpreowned.com).  I recently hit the Adams A7OS irons and I struggled MIS-hitting the 6 iron.  Golf Digest has them both listed as Gold on the hotlist and you can find them on ebay for $200 or less for the A3OS...

Unless I am doing something wrong, your math is going to be right around 500 dollars (300 irons 100 driver, 30 putter leaving 70 for fairway wood, bag and maybe wedges). Personally if I liked the clubs the deal is good enough that I wouldn't feel like I am getting ripped off.   Even I overpaid by 50 bucks or so, it would be worth it to avoid the potential ebay/craigslist sketchy seller. YMMV.

My math was at, or near, $500 for new clubs though - not used. That's all I was saying.

Went to Golfsmith. Couldn't believe all the new technology. They had me try various irons (personally liked the Ping G15, Taylormade Rocketballz) and drivers in front of a launch monitor. With a 6 iron, I was consistently averaging a swing speed of 85 mph at 185 yards. The irons felt great. Very forgiving. I also tried a few 460cc drivers. Because I can't produce a "repeatable swing" I was unable to see a difference in drivers; however, the assistant working with me did say that I have a fast swing speed of 100-105 mph. Also, I tried using 10.5 degree loft drivers and the trajectory was way too high....this may have been due to having it teed up too much. He had me try a 9 degree loft driver and it was much better. Furthermore, he felt that I would do better with a stiff shaft. My ball speed only averaged 135 mph. He said it should be slightly faster than that which sacrificed distance. Overall, I was very impressed with the irons, Taylormade R11 and Ping G15 driver.

Because the set for sale is 3 hrs from me, my grandfather will be taking a look at them tomorrow. He offered to purchase and hold them for me if I wish.

Thanks for all the great feedback.

Note: This thread is 4112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!