IGNORED

SOFT TIP SHAFT REQUIRED (I THINK)

Note:Β This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and thought I'd see if anyone could offer any advice on the following........

I hit a low ball and have a swing speed of just shy of 100 mph. With this in mind I'm after any recommendations for a suitable stiff shaft. I recently bought the R11S with the standard Phenom shaft but much prefer the soft tip shaft in my old R5, so much so that I've now gone back to the R5 (better feel, accuracy and same distance). Before giving up on the R11S completely I'd like to try out different shafts but don't know what to go for. Β Fujikura Motore F1 55 sounds as if it might suit but I've returned to the game after a fifteen year absence and, honestly, don't really know what I'm talking about. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks.

Your question is why golf shops have launch monitors. Figure out what driver loft you need, and then try out different shafts with it.

Also: If the R5 works, why not keep it? At 8 HDCP, is the driver what's holding back your game?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oban Revenge

I've heard good reviews on the 65g. I'd say Revenge 05 but spin ... don't know.

http://www.obanshafts.com/new_revenge.html

or you might try the

Fujikura Blur Red 05

(a new shaft for higher launch than the standard Blur Blue)

The Motore you mentioned may be a low launcher according to the Fuji website

Personally, if you're swinging 100 and you hit a low ball, it sounds like a swing issue unless the loft is too low. I'd try to resolve any swing issue first.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Thanks guys.

I'll explain a little more.......

The market here in the UK is still largely based around smaller providers that don't have the same availability in stock as bigger companies. This is great for getting a local, amiable service but not good for playing around with shafts. Trying every possible shaft before buying just isn't an option because the stock isn't so readily available. This means doing your research before forking out the money is essential if you don't want to end up with the wrong shaft.

Low ball flight isn't a problem as I play a lot of links golf (and grew up doing so) but my 9.5 degree R5 flies at the same height as the 10.5 degree R11S at the moment. So, the issue really is just to get a softer tipped shaft (again, I think) which, hopefully, will mean greater accuracy and some added distance on the R11S (I'm more than happy to play around with the club settings as, believe me, there isn't a set up I haven't tried!). The R5 and the R11S are currently the same length but the R5 is straighter, hence me currently sticking with the R5. I reckon however that with the right shaft I could add 10 - 15 yards to the R11S.

And finally, before you guys think I'm better than I actually am, because of different handicap systems a handicap of 8 over here is approximately 10 or 11 over there.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

What shaft is in the R5?

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Originally Posted by BIGGAYFADE

It's the standard shaft which came with it. M.A.S2 Β 5-55 Mid torque, soft tip, stiff. Not too much help I know.

I'm more inclined to go Fuji Blur Red - similar characteristics. But I haven't played the shaft. It's new and more reasonably priced in the US. Β The Fuji Blur Blue is more of a mid kick with a stable tip.

Β 

Mr Desmond, you are a star.

By chance I've managed to pick up a second hand R5 very cheaply (Β£20 or about $30). I've got friends in the pro shop at a little local course and am therefore going to get them to remove the head and have the shaft fitted with the R11S adaptor (they can at least get the adaptor). If that doesn't work they can sell on the club/shaft/head/whatever and I'll probably go down the Fujikura Blur Red route.

Once again, thanks for your help.

If you ever need advice regarding a golf trip over here I'd be more than happy to repay the favour (or, as I believe you spell it, favor)!

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_AS0003 Check out this shaft.Β  Holpefully Maltby will ship overseas.Β  I have the five shaft and love it, but I think the 6 would be better with your swing speed.

Here is link to website-- http://arthursports.com/product.php

WishonΒ  715 CLC-AXE5Β A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4Β wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid AΒ shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT ReleaseΒ  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star GripsΒ  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff ZipΒ Golf. or C-25

I would get a low torque tip stiff shaft in all the clubs not just the driver. If you can load it at 3/4 swing you are good to go. Its a game of opposites. hit down to go up and so forth. well when it comes to those game improvement offerings like low kick.....not so much improvement i think.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Originally Posted by trickyputt

I would get a low torque tip stiff shaft in all the clubs not just the driver. If you can load it at 3/4 swing you are good to go. Its a game of opposites. hit down to go up and so forth. well when it comes to those game improvement offerings like low kick.....not so much improvement i think.

That's a terrible generality ... and false.

Only follow this advice is you want to eff up your swing.

:-)

Low torque, tip stiff?

Maybe for a small percentage of the golfing population.

UST did studies that show even for high speed golfers, a low torque shaft can cause big issues for their swing - for some, this low torque causes them to lack feel, and the golfer thinks they're not swinging hard enough to get the elusive "feel." So they start swinging out of their shoes or make adjustments to get more out of the swing or the shaft ... and this causes problems with ball flight, scores, and swing.

What UST found is that a higher torque can actually provide more accuracy and less spin, and more distance when torque is matched to the swing - and that's why they offer 3 levels of torque in one series of their shafts. Some golfers get more "feel" from higher torque and thus swing in a more relaxed manner that is attune to their swing - and get better results.

I've found it similar as I've lost a few mph during a swing change, injury, or other issues. In fairways, a higher torque, liteweight, low kick shaft does wonders for my game from the ground - more accuracy, more ideal flight, and confidence in the club.

So throw the wive's tales out the window....

Β 

"Low torque, tip stiff?

Maybe for a small percentage of the golfing population."

Facepalm

True temper shafts are THE most popular and have that exact description. Somebody change a formula as we go up to driver?

I was thinking about the UST but not just any one.

Is it lost that the shafts that UST are really famous for are low torque around 3 or less degrees with high bend? Those shafts are the only ones they sell that I like so far- all the newer ones seem the same old thing.

Is UST just saying that people hit clubs that are too stiff for them? Feels like it.

The more flexible UST graphite shafts are lighter and have higher torque/twist than the heavier versions of the same UST shaft.

If they invent a super light metal shaft, you will see the industry go right to it. But I still want less tip flex for a more predictible head path and increased head speed for myself.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

"Low torque, tip stiff?

Maybe for a small percentage of the golfing population."

Facepalm

True temper shafts are THE most popular and have that exact description. Somebody change a formula as we go up to driver?

I was thinking about the UST but not just any one.

Is it lost that the shafts that UST are really famous for are low torque around 3 or less degrees with high bend? Those shafts are the only ones they sell that I like so far- all the newer ones seem the same old thing.

Is UST just saying that people hit clubs that are too stiff for them? Feels like it.

The more flexible UST graphite shafts are lighter and have higher torque/twist than the heavier versions of the same UST shaft.

If they invent a super light metal shaft, you will see the industry go right to it. But I still want less tip flex for a more predictible head path and increased head speed for myself.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see I'm talking wood shafts, not irons.

And in irons, much of the general population would be better off with more of a mid-kick iron shaft similar to a Nippon 950, 1050, etc. Of course, not the beasts here that can drive the ball 300 yards and hit a 7i over 170 yards. But I'm talking general population. Of course, True Temper also has those shafts for irons.

Β 

i think i have been trolled.

Tom R.

i think i have been trolled.

With 6 posts, you'll be looking in the mirror.

Β 

• 1 year later...
I just ordered a ust v2 7070s and plan to install it in a cally tip for my RFE. The Razor Fit Extreme setup I have is using the Trinity with 4.3 or 4.4 degrees of torque. My miss of late is left and although 2.2 torque is like another dimension those ust shafts are so buttery smooth in bending I hope it isnt as problematic as you describe.

Tom R.

I have a Callaway Raxr Fit 9.5 driver with a Aldila RIP'D NV 60 stiff shaft. I have no idea what my swing speed is, but I'm pretty sure it's not much over 100. This shaft has a soft tip, when I hit it pure my ball goes pretty straight, or I get a slight draw. Ball flight is mid-high. With a stiff shaft that has a mid kick stiffer tip, my ball flight is low and I do lose some distance. Also I have no idea how far I hit my driver due to my eye sight, I can't see where my ball lands in relation to the yardage markers at the range, I do know it's still fairly high when it crosses the 185 yd. marker.

Not sure if this helps or not. I know most people don't care for the Aldila shafts, I didn't either until I hit many shots with it.

I had an aldila rip 60 in my old 910. it was a high bend shaft. I did not hit it as high as I like to hit driver now. I dont want driver lower than about twice the height of the trees or I lose distance rolling along the ground. I will say that the dispersion from that shaft is still a goal for me.

Tom R.

Note:Β This thread is 3739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!