IGNORED

What do you hate most about Scrambles?

Spyder
Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you hate most about Scrambles/Outings?

• Being paired with strangers
    • Knowing there are probably cheaters in other groups
    • Finding out your "A" Player is a "B" player at best
    • Group members who don't stop talking and offering advice
    • Group members who are not playing as a team
    • Closest to the Pin
    • Longest Drive
    • Skin Payout/Setup/Hole Selection
    • Disorganized Scramble (improper tee-offs, slow play, payouts)
    • Excessive drinking
    • Terrible food
    • Cost to enter
    • Randomly selected teams

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Not sure I'm following, since that post was yours and it's the one you and I both quoted, but I've heard the players in the top few groups trash talking about winning in pretty much every scramble I've ever been in in the past 25 years. Maybe the "winner" doesn't win more prizes and they certainly don't turn into a better person for having won, but they still won, and in their little world that means something. If there's something in your posts in this thread that makes that thread mean something different than the way I interpreted it, I aplogize. For the record, one of my first posts on this forum was condemning scrambles due to rampant cheating and I received a boatload of negative rep points that that comment. I've come to accept them for what they are.

Ehh, not to worry. I think your use of the words "Sour Grapes" probably put me off..... hehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Funny....   all these replies and no one has fessed up to being on a team of cheaters. I was and it was brutal. I was the A player, but guys in the other cart were keeping the score.

Knew exactly how we were doing at every moment, but after the scores are turned in, our team mysteriously ends up 3 shots better than we actually shot.

Hmmmm. What's a guy to do - call out your guys publicly as liars and cheaters?? They were all strangers and I just kept my mouth shut. Luckily, a couple of groups of "better" cheaters came in with miracle scores.

Since the charity wasn't losing anything, I rationalized it was just thieves stealing from other thieves. Whatever. Mostly avoid the format now.

Also - if you do well and finish in the top 3 or better, the guy on your team that did absolutely nothing is the one bouncing around afterward acting like he carried the whole team on his back.....

I can't imagine taking a scramble so seriously that I'd brag or cheat... I tend to be the one apologizing for all of my bad shots.... hehehehe

Driver: :adams: Speedline F11 9.5* loft 3 Wood: :adams: Speedline F12 15* Hybrid: :adams: Idea Super Hybrid 17* - Used in place of my 5 wood Hybrid: :adams: Idea A1 i-wood 21* Irons: :adams: Idea A1 5-PW Wedges: :adams: Watson 52*, 56*, 60* Wedges Putter: :tmade: Rossa Lambeau, Black

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I agree. Nothing takes the fun out of a scramble more than landing a group where someone approaches it like they're playing in the US Open.

Exactly. I love playing scrambles because they're just a fun way to hang with my buddies and not worry about my score. I have however played in some for business and had the misfortune of being paired with players who took the whole thing waaaaayyyyy to seriously. No fun at all.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I'm curious.  How does one take a scramble too seriously?

don't you know..you're supposed to guzzle beer and hit crappy shots and do silly things while you're out there..otherwise you are too serious!

I don't care what I'm playing for or anything else...I will still try to do as best as I possibly can.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Some of the guys I've been stuck playing with acted as if they had $10,000 riding on it. Guys who would cuss & swear if they hit a bad shot, or who would mutter all day about one of their own players if they weren't playing very well.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Cheaters.  When I lived in Wisconsin I used to play in my company's annual golf outing and it used to drive me crazy when you would see the same old people, who you KNOW play golf only once a year winning all these hole prizes for closest to the pin, longest putt, longest drive, etc when you saw with your own eyes them hacking it around the course.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by jetsknicks1

Some of the guys I've been stuck playing with acted as if they had $10,000 riding on it. Guys who would cuss & swear if they hit a bad shot, or who would mutter all day about one of their own players if they weren't playing very well.

But I'm sure they're such nice people............... right? hehehe......

I honestly enjoy playing in scrambles because it gives me an opportunity to try shots I wouldn't normally try. For example, if someone has a good chip on, I may try a flop or we have a safe approach to a green, I may try to shape a shot and be far more aggressive than I normally am. Also, I play in several for work each year and they are free

• Administrator

Perhaps "by playing in them"? :)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by 9424tm

I honestly enjoy playing in scrambles because it gives me an opportunity to try shots I wouldn't normally try. For example, if someone has a good chip on, I may try a flop or we have a safe approach to a green, I may try to shape a shot and be far more aggressive than I normally am. Also, I play in several for work each year and they are free

My problem is, scrambles can sometimes mess up my swing. I'm not a long hitter, but often I'm the 'A' player, usually hitting last. I find myself trying to put a little extra into my drives & I lose my timing. I've often had to go to the range after the round to get my timing back. Many times I'll hit second or third off the tee if we got a long but erratic player on the team - I'll get us on the short stuff 240 out, then let someone else have a rip at it.

As far as the taking it seriously part goes ........

Entry fees for some of these things are $125-$250 a player, generally played somewhere really nice and for a big time charity like autism or breast cancer.  So a lot of guys aren't out there for just the grins and giggles. You could play Sawgrass and get a dozen Pro Vs for that.....  maybe a twilight 9 at Pebble.

As far as the taking it seriously part goes ........ Entry fees for some of these things are $125-$250 a player, generally played somewhere really nice and for a big time charity like autism or breast cancer.  So a lot of guys aren't out there for just the grins and giggles. You could play Sawgrass and get a dozen Pro Vs for that.....  maybe a twilight 9 at Pebble.

You haven't played Sawgrass for a looooong time!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Played in a scramble one time to benefit a bar.  They put all the scores up on a board, and had the usual 54, 55, 56's.  Bar owner said "F" that and just drew 3 names out of a hat.  I play in about two a year and enjoy them.

Biggest complant is the heat.  South AL gets hot from 8am to 1pm.

Note: This thread is 4250 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!