IGNORED

Trying to shallow out my angle of attack

Note: This thread is 4189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Does anyone have any tips or drills for shallowing out the AOA? I'm a very tall player with an upright swing. I have a tendency to take very deep divots. I generally make good contact, but about once every two or three rounds, and almost always with a wedge, I'll hit a shot just ridiculously fat and advance the ball about 20 yards. I know that shallow divots are the key to a consistent wedge game, and I'd also like to stop that bad miss and stop tearing up the course through the bag. I'm sure my fairway wood/hybrid consistency would improve as well.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Few things

- Flare the right foot out, clockwise, about 20 degrees.  Get the hips to turn more, knees to change flex.  Give the back swing a chance to be less upright.

- Feel the left arm swing more across your chest on the backswing rather than"up" the chest.  http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

- Feel the handle of the club raising at and past impact.  If the handle stays low, that's when aoa can get too steep.  Steve Stricker is a great example of taking very shallow divots but launching the ball in the air.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the tips! I'll work them in on the range tomorrow. Will flaring the right foot out cost me power though?

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

Thanks for the tips! I'll work them in on the range tomorrow. Will flaring the right foot out cost me power though?

no, if anything it will help.  it helps your hips to move which allows you to make a less restricted shoulder turn.  the hips can turn about 45 degrees and the shoulders another 45, theres 90 degrees right there.  plenty of turn for power.

also, "tucking the butt" helps to shallow out your AoA.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4189 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!