• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blitz28179

Anybody here have problems with the takeaway?

10 posts in this topic

Ive had 2 playing partners say I dont have a proper takeaway.One said I take the club back too far to the inside and the other said I break my right wrist too soon.So today I hit the golf course with just a practice session on working on a proper takaway.Have some questions for someone thats battled takaway problems

1.I noticed today when I get around 1/2 - 3/4's in the backswing I really start getting that uncomfortable feeling.Is this common?

2.I did really good with my irons working on this takaway as far as ball striking goes but with my driver I had a bad slice.Why can I hit good shots with my irons but slice it 70 yards right with my driver?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Check this out, just filmed it a few days ago, hope it helps

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

I'm still trying to get comfortable with the takeaway - I like Mike's video.

I like to feel as if the lead arm rides up my chest as the wrist cocks UP.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

If it is new to you it should not feel comfortable

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Ive had 2 playing partners say I dont have a proper takeaway.One said I take the club back too far to the inside and the other said I break my right wrist too soon.So today I hit the golf course with just a practice session on working on a proper takaway.Have some questions for someone thats battled takaway problems

1.I noticed today when I get around 1/2 - 3/4's in the backswing I really start getting that uncomfortable feeling.Is this common?

2.I did really good with my irons working on this takaway as far as ball striking goes but with my driver I had a bad slice.Why can I hit good shots with my irons but slice it 70 yards right with my driver?


I had the same problem, hands move away from the body, club goes too far inside.  Started working on taking the club straight back and it completely wrecked my swing; went from hitting a few balls fat to shanking a dozen in a row.  The whole thing felt super uncomfortable until it was pointed out to me that my hands were too far from my body at address.  Once I let them hang straight  down (no more than 4-5" from the thighs with mid-short irons), the takeaway felt completely natural and almost effortlessly stays on plane on the way back.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is getting the club behind me, i am such a classic case of rolling wrist over in the backswing. So i really have to get almost like i am hinging early to get more of an up and down motion, instead of a rotation motion, but i like the video.

Question on the video, do you like to see the clubface angle pointing down the swing path line, the pro has his a bit more open at that point, but its not skyward, just combining two feels, i think they are related in a proper takeaway, because alot of players either try way to hard not to rotate the forearms, or rotate them to much (my problem)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Thanks for the feedback.

Watching the final round of the PGA tour I noticed brian gay ,the one who won this past weekend has hardly no wrist cock.I think thats why I have a tendancy to start the club inside with my old takeaway, because I wanted that wrist cock feeling..Doing this new takeaway I feel I have no wrist cock like with my old takeaway.I managed to get a video of his slow mo swing.Notice he only goes to 3/4's at the top, also take note of his wrist cock.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

I had the same problem, hands move away from the body, club goes too far inside.  Started working on taking the club straight back and it completely wrecked my swing; went from hitting a few balls fat to shanking a dozen in a row.  The whole thing felt super uncomfortable until it was pointed out to me that my hands were too far from my body at address.  Once I let them hang straight  down (no more than 4-5" from the thighs with mid-short irons), the takeaway felt completely natural and almost effortlessly stays on plane on the way back.

I hit some of the most beautiful shots yesterday with my irons..With my driver I was way off.I made good contact and they started out straight but quickly turned into a banana and made a quick right turn LOL..I will try this with the driver next time I hit the course.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Thanks for the feedback.

Watching the final round of the PGA tour I noticed brian gay ,the one who won this past weekend has hardly no wrist cock.I think thats why I have a tendancy to start the club inside with my old takeaway, because I wanted that wrist cock feeling..Doing this new takeaway I feel I have no wrist cock like with my old takeaway.I managed to get a video of his slow mo swing.Notice he only goes to 3/4's at the top, also take note of his wrist cock.

Look at his instructor, Grant Waite. He looks 3/4 with irons and more full with driver (more turn).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • Finding Value in The Used Club Market
      I'm liking this:   That makes a lot of sense.  Local Retailers may be getting some of the last years models dumped on them when the new clubs start cycling through.  I was thinking about doing the demo days thing to get a taste of what is out there.  The R7 limited and R11 Taylormade Drivers were good to me.  I think a X2 hot/Big Bertha/etc/ect would probably be more forgiving.  Still, I look at the clubs of old... the Cleveland Launcher Comp / Callaway Hawkeye and think: "If I can buy that club for $20... and I can buy newer (used) for $50-$100... hmmm.  Spinning the wheels.  Thanks for the advice though I really appreciate it. If anyone has a Driver / had a Driver they loved from (2009-2014) let me know about it!  What did you like/didn't like?
    • My ex-home courses closing, changing - proofs that golf is in decline
      I just found out that my ex-home course, Sunol Valley Golf course, went out of business last month.  I played 2 - 3 times a week for 2 years not too long ago.  The course was done in by shrinking golfers, and 500% increase in water cost in the last 4 years of CA drought.  They could not make money.   Another ex-home course is now doing business as a golf and foot golf (soccer golf) course.  Golfing customers were not enough. Another course nearby (Santa Clara Tennis and Golf Club) is going to turn into a parking lot for a recently built football stadium. It is sad that despite improved economy in Bay Area, CA, golf business is in decline.  They have been in decline since 1990s but most of the courses around here survived 2008-9 recession.  The current drought and the resulting water cost going through the roof appears to be the final nail in the coffin for the weaker courses.   Sad.
    • Injury Question
      I didn't play golf for about 11 weeks due to it being difficult to play with work after day light savings time fell back.  Now, from the sounds of it, I played through the majority of the repair time as I walked 9 holes 4-5 times a week with 1 day of walking 18 for 7-9 weeks after the injury....I know, I'm an idiot. As it stands now I don't really notice it 90% of the time, its just something that pops up on a swing every now and then.  From the sounds of your healing time, I may have caused it to heal improperly leaving me with a hitch....  If I really just need to not do anything and it'll heal over time then I'd gladly do it, kicking and screaming the entire way as I already had a plan in place to push my handicap into the single digits by years end. I don't like the sound of having something happen as "I get older," I'm only 26 damn it .
    • Injury Question
      I had this injury last spring/summer. You have pulled your intercostal muscles in your ribs. It is a nasty injury which requires a lot of downtime (4-6 weeks minimum more like 8 weeks) to let them repair. It happens as we get older. You need to research ways to heal and take time off from doing those motions such as winding up and releasing. It took 4 months to completely heal and that included lots of ibuprofen as an anti inflammatory and stretching. Take the time off to stop the inflamation or it won't go away and could take longer to heal. It is a difficult process that takes time and when you first feel like you are okay you are more than likely to re injure and make it as bad or worse. You just have to take your medicine or that painful stitch won't go away.  
    • My Swing (WUTiger)
      Couple good videos/drills for you to check out @WUTiger.  
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. onthehunt526
      onthehunt526
      (29 years old)
  • Blog Entries