IGNORED

Anybody here have problems with the takeaway?

Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive had 2 playing partners say I dont have a proper takeaway.One said I take the club back too far to the inside and the other said I break my right wrist too soon.So today I hit the golf course with just a practice session on working on a proper takaway.Have some questions for someone thats battled takaway problems

1.I noticed today when I get around 1/2 - 3/4's in the backswing I really start getting that uncomfortable feeling.Is this common?

2.I did really good with my irons working on this takaway as far as ball striking goes but with my driver I had a bad slice.Why can I hit good shots with my irons but slice it 70 yards right with my driver?

Check this out, just filmed it a few days ago, hope it helps

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm still trying to get comfortable with the takeaway - I like Mike's video.

I like to feel as if the lead arm rides up my chest as the wrist cocks UP.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Ive had 2 playing partners say I dont have a proper takeaway.One said I take the club back too far to the inside and the other said I break my right wrist too soon.So today I hit the golf course with just a practice session on working on a proper takaway.Have some questions for someone thats battled takaway problems

1.I noticed today when I get around 1/2 - 3/4's in the backswing I really start getting that uncomfortable feeling.Is this common?

2.I did really good with my irons working on this takaway as far as ball striking goes but with my driver I had a bad slice.Why can I hit good shots with my irons but slice it 70 yards right with my driver?

I had the same problem, hands move away from the body, club goes too far inside.  Started working on taking the club straight back and it completely wrecked my swing; went from hitting a few balls fat to shanking a dozen in a row.  The whole thing felt super uncomfortable until it was pointed out to me that my hands were too far from my body at address.  Once I let them hang straight  down (no more than 4-5" from the thighs with mid-short irons), the takeaway felt completely natural and almost effortlessly stays on plane on the way back.

My problem is getting the club behind me, i am such a classic case of rolling wrist over in the backswing. So i really have to get almost like i am hinging early to get more of an up and down motion, instead of a rotation motion, but i like the video.

Question on the video, do you like to see the clubface angle pointing down the swing path line, the pro has his a bit more open at that point, but its not skyward, just combining two feels, i think they are related in a proper takeaway, because alot of players either try way to hard not to rotate the forearms, or rotate them to much (my problem)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Thanks for the feedback.

Watching the final round of the PGA tour I noticed brian gay ,the one who won this past weekend has hardly no wrist cock.I think thats why I have a tendancy to start the club inside with my old takeaway, because I wanted that wrist cock feeling..Doing this new takeaway I feel I have no wrist cock like with my old takeaway.I managed to get a video of his slow mo swing.Notice he only goes to 3/4's at the top, also take note of his wrist cock.

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

I had the same problem, hands move away from the body, club goes too far inside.  Started working on taking the club straight back and it completely wrecked my swing; went from hitting a few balls fat to shanking a dozen in a row.  The whole thing felt super uncomfortable until it was pointed out to me that my hands were too far from my body at address.  Once I let them hang straight  down (no more than 4-5" from the thighs with mid-short irons), the takeaway felt completely natural and almost effortlessly stays on plane on the way back.

I hit some of the most beautiful shots yesterday with my irons..With my driver I was way off.I made good contact and they started out straight but quickly turned into a banana and made a quick right turn LOL..I will try this with the driver next time I hit the course.

Originally Posted by Blitz28179

Thanks for the feedback.

Watching the final round of the PGA tour I noticed brian gay ,the one who won this past weekend has hardly no wrist cock.I think thats why I have a tendancy to start the club inside with my old takeaway, because I wanted that wrist cock feeling..Doing this new takeaway I feel I have no wrist cock like with my old takeaway.I managed to get a video of his slow mo swing.Notice he only goes to 3/4's at the top, also take note of his wrist cock.

Look at his instructor, Grant Waite. He looks 3/4 with irons and more full with driver (more turn).

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 1 month later...
Note: This thread is 4064 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!