IGNORED

In need of new Irons!

Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Howdy all.

I am in DIRE need of new Irons. I've been playing the same set of Wilson Staff blades since 1985 and have decided it's time to upgrade. OK, it's past time, but the problem is I can't seem to find anything I remotely like. My current GHIN is 11.2, so I don't think I need "super game improvement clubs" but want something a little more forgiving than my 20 year old blades. I just got back from Cobra demo days and nothing I hit there felt good. I also hit some Titlist while there and the 755's felt better. I've hit Callaway and Ping, and nothing feels right. Should I be looking at Mizuno or Nike?

HELP!

What is out on the market that will feel and perform like Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades?
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I like forged:

Callaway XForged Blades
Hogan Apex Plus

I like cast:

Ping S58 or S59

If I weren't on staff with Callaway, I'd give serious consideration to playing the Pings. They are a GREAT set of clubs. Forged blade look and feel.

I don't know what the fluid blades feel like, but if they're from '85, and Wilson Staff, I can't imagine they are terribly easy to hit. If that's the feel you are looking for, try Hogan Apex

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

The Callaway X Tour irons are so sweet...I hit them at Demo Day, they are tough to hit for my handicap but they have a great feel.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

cleveland cg2s. there was a deal at rckbottomgolf, but its gone now. i like the r7s too.
What's In My Custom Bagboy Fleicshmans Bag:
Driver: Hibore with Aldila NV 65
Irons: CG2 Irons 3-PW
Wedges: 56 degree Reg.588 Tour Action Chrome Finish, 60 degree Vokey Design, vokey design 52*
Putter: milled series #3Hybrid: Rescue Mid 25 degree3 Wood: War HawkGolf Balls: Serious Play ...

CG031,
Intersting that you say that about your handicap. I bought the X 20 tours after a demo day and can pound them. The X tours were a bit harder to hit although I still hit them well (in simulator), but I was scared to purchase them... I guess I was afraid that I would not be able to control them over the long haul. What fantastic clubs they both are, and I am a high handicaper. I see the 'cap heading on down this season. It feels awesome.

Just yesterday I tested some R7's and some Callaways.

From what I found, the R7's are much harder to hit if you have a slower swing speed. They do have a nice feel to them and look and perform like blades.

I tried the X20's as well. These clubs are very nice and have a great feel.

I ended up getting the Big Bertha 06's. Really smooth feel with me gaining 15-20 w/ each iron. But it's all on personal feel.

Callaway's are definately clubs to look at. Just try them again with different specs shaft wise. You'll find something you like.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

The r7 TP irons are pretty much the best irons i have ever hit

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Thanks for all the replys guys. I guess I really need to get out of the po-dunk town and hit a city where I can be fitted and hit diffrent brands and styles.

In my bag todayâ¦.

The r7 TP irons are pretty much the best irons i have ever hit

+1

Driver: Dual Point 9*
Woods: Dual Point 3-wood, T-40 5-wood
Irons: r7 TP's
Wedges: RAC TP Black 52/56/60
Putter: White Steel

I don't even know how old my irons are but I still love them. They were my grandfathers who past away close to 15 years now. I actually broke the shaft on my 3 iron a few weeks ago and went to have it replaced. They guy at the golf shop looked at me funny and said "you do know that this new shaft will cost more than the whole set is worth right". The new shaft installed costed $30. I thought it was kinda funny. They don't look to old and they still feel just as nice as anything new I have tried. My current set of irons is RAM Tom Watson Pro Custom.

Anyway back to the point my father finally decided to get rid of his irons. He was playing Hogan Apex Tour Blades that he got about 30 years ago. He moved to Mizuno MP-60's. He loves the feel and says they are more forgiving that the old blades. They also look great when addressing the ball.

I have also tried them and love them too. I will be buying new irons in a few years and I would put these on the top of my list

Driver : SQ Sumo 5000 9.5˚ VS 65 proto
3 Wood : V steel
Irons : MP-32 3-PW
Wedges : R-series 56˚ & 60˚
Putter : Tri-Force 2Ball : Pro V1x

I have a set of Srixon I-403 AD's for sale. If interested Let me know.

LB

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

If you are looking for different irons I would pony up for the new ones. Remember this little riddle before buying clubs "Try before you Buy"

if you really want eye2's http://www.globalgolf.com/product/go...ye-2.aspx?gd=3

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

Howdy all.

I have never heard of Wilson's Fluid Feel blades. But if it's feel you're looking for then try Mizunos (MP-32, 60, or 67). Feels like butter when you strike the ball right. Probably because they look like butter knife at address. Ha!

Other forged irons worth demoing are Titleist 695CB and 695MB. Cast irons but also good; r7 TP, X-20 Tour.
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

When hitting at a demo day what does everybody think is the best club to hit if your time is limited? 5i? 8i?

Thoughts?

In my bag todayâ¦.

When hitting at a demo day what does everybody think is the best club to hit if your time is limited? 5i? 8i?

I think it's best to use whatever iron you're comfortable with. For me it's 7-iron, but here where I live at they usually only provide 6-iron sometimes 5-iron. I wonder why the mid-long irons?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Well they had the same Cobra Demo day at the public club yesterday so I went back because they had Titleist irons and hit quite a few of them. I REALLY like the 735 and the 755 was good for me too. I think the club has a demo set of 735's so I might try them for 9 this weekend.

In my bag todayâ¦.

I've also heard really good things about the R7 TPs. I have the regular R7s and I like them just fine. A lot of irons are going to feel very forgiving compared to the ones you have now, so I'd try as many as you can! I also really like the look of the Nike CCIs. We have a demo set at the course where I work and I play around with them ever so often in the pro shop.

Good luck,
Ryan
ogio.gif Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gif Launcher DST 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gif Rescue Dual 19*  taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gif 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gif Callie  bridgestone.gif B330

Well got to play the 3rd nine with the 735's and now I'm looking for the best deal. I'm kinda leery of eBay, anybody have thoughts on the best on-line prices?

In my bag todayâ¦.

Note: This thread is 6128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!