IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

Next time you are at the range. Aim normally at a target, then lay down an alignment stick and take aim. Standing over the ball does the new alignment look way left to you?

If so, then you might be aiming right.

I think that's what happened last year, I'm planning on hitting the range tonight. If all goes well or at least it seems like it's worthwhile, I'll be posting some updated videos tonight.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

@iacas I was just thinking about how I was pushing my shots a bit after working on my knee flex and stead head but I just remembered last year after the round at WW how you had me do this same thing and I thought I was pushing my shots then too. However when I mentioned it you said I wasn't pushing my shots but I was actually aiming to the right because my natural tendency before was a pull draw so I had formed the habit of aiming right to compensate for that. Is it possible that what I'm experiencing isn't a push but that I'm really hitting it straight on my target line for a change?

So… I feel like you answered that one yourself. :)

Yes, of course, that could be the case. Likely to be, even.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So… I feel like you answered that one yourself. :)

Yes, of course, that could be the case. Likely to be, even.

Ok, so I it seems that I am actually hitting a push more than having bad alignment after the round yesterday and having Matt check my alignment. I feel like I'm doing pretty well with the steady head/left knee bend now so I have to find out what my next drill needs to be. Hopefully I'll get a chance to record my swing pretty soon to put it up because I want to get at least down to a 15 or so this year. I mean it's just stupid for me to be able to hit 500+ par 5's with driver and mid irons but I can't break into the 80's. Several people on the forum really tend to discount the distances some of us hit because "if you can hit that far your handicap should be X"... I know that typically what they say is true but it just feels like they are right, my handicap really should be much lower with my length.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ok, with the driver I can't seem to stop myself anywhere close to parallel which seems to pull my left knee inwards and causes some head movement. I seem to be able to strike the ball well as long as I keep the thoughts straight left arm and inside to out swing. *sorry for the disappearing club, I think I went too slow on the youtube editor, used iphone to record and don't have software to edit it*

If the crazy club thing is too bad I'll try to find a software to re-edit the clips.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

First, Posture, get a little softer in the lower back. I would say stick your butt out a little less. A good drill would be stand about 4-5 inches from a wall, and then take your stance. Your back should not have a curve in it and your butt should just touch the wall. You should still be able to look down at the ball through the center of your eyes.

Second, your clubhead gets way too inside your hands when the club is parallel. This is something you might work on in the future. This is more key number 4 stuff.

Third, John Daly called, he wan'ts his swing back!!!  Seriously, a little shorter swing will help. Believe me, I personally KNOW it does!!!

Fourth, I might say your stance is a tad too wide. Some golfers like the stance to be outside their shoulders, but I find it very restrictive on trying to maintain a centered pivot. I would say take a good step in with your back foot. Keep your ball position the same, but also tee it up a bit higher and hit up on the ball. This is a small change that will help with your ball flight and launch conditions with your driver.

Honestly it isn't a bad swing. I think you just need to clean up some set up issues and SHORTEN THE SWING. It will probably clear up a lot of problems in your swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

First, Posture, get a little softer in the lower back. I would say stick your butt out a little less. A good drill would be stand about 4-5 inches from a wall, and then take your stance. Your back should not have a curve in it and your butt should just touch the wall. You should still be able to look down at the ball through the center of your eyes.

Second, your clubhead gets way too inside your hands when the club is parallel. This is something you might work on in the future. This is more key number 4 stuff.

Third, John Daly called, he wan'ts his swing back!!!  Seriously, a little shorter swing will help. Believe me, I personally KNOW it does!!!

Fourth, I might say your stance is a tad too wide. Some golfers like the stance to be outside their shoulders, but I find it very restrictive on trying to maintain a centered pivot. I would say take a good step in with your back foot. Keep your ball position the same, but also tee it up a bit higher and hit up on the ball. This is a small change that will help with your ball flight and launch conditions with your driver.

Honestly it isn't a bad swing. I think you just need to clean up some set up issues and SHORTEN THE SWING. It will probably clear up a lot of problems in your swing.

Ball is teed up high, that grass is just long :-p. Yeah, I don't know why I my backswing is so far passed parallel. One note though, my lower back is fused together so I have basically no ability to have it anything but how it is. I did notice my stance was a bit wide though so I'll work on remember to narrow it up a bit. As far as the clubhead in correlation to my hands are you meaning on the take-away? So I should be trying to point the clubhead straight back *towards the camera* from my hands?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ball is teed up high, that grass is just long :-p. Yeah, I don't know why I my backswing is so far passed parallel. One note though, my lower back is fused together so I have basically no ability to have it anything but how it is. I did notice my stance was a bit wide though so I'll work on remember to narrow it up a bit. As far as the clubhead in correlation to my hands are you meaning on the take-away? So I should be trying to point the clubhead straight back *towards the camera* from my hands?

You, the clubhead is inside the hands a good bit.

Adam Scott. His clubhead is more inline, maybe slightly outside his hands. The camera is not down his toe line, so it probably looks a tad bit in than it is.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

You, the clubhead is inside the hands a good bit.

Adam Scott. His clubhead is more inline, maybe slightly outside his hands. The camera is not down his toe line, so it probably looks a tad bit in than it is.

So what I'm seeing there is my right elbow is bending too soon bringing the club inside early. Is that a good assessment? Because the club face orientation looks pretty similar.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So what I'm seeing there is my right elbow is bending too soon bringing the club inside early. Is that a good assessment? Because the club face orientation looks pretty similar.

I would say its more you are breaking your right wrist down early.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You know this made me look up proper take away and it showed me the problem I think. I was not using the one piece takeaway. I just did a few takeaways focusing on turning my right shoulder back and I was exactly matching the picture you posted for club position.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So, after further review, I noticed that my shoulders are still closed also. This showed me that my backswing started all arms then went to torso turn. This is probably why I'm so far passed parallel. I'm going to try to get to the range again this week and focus on the one piece take away to see what the results are with the positions as well as where I stop at the top. I'm pretty excited that you helped me see this, it's something that I had worked on before but completely forgot about this year. I think it may be a big reason why I've been so inconsistent.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I may get my wish the way it feels right now, giving up distance for accuracy. I think that I was using a LOT of arms in my swing which gave me a high swing speed but very erratic results. Now that I'm focusing on turning my chest it feels like my swing speed is going down quite a bit. This may be a temporary loss or it may be the "feel isn't real" thing and I'm actually still swinging the same or pretty close to what it was. I assume that the proper swing should produce more swing speed and power more consistently than what I had been doing with my "armsy" swing? Any thoughts? I basically am trying to figure out if I'll need to relearn all my club distances.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I may get my wish the way it feels right now, giving up distance for accuracy. I think that I was using a LOT of arms in my swing which gave me a high swing speed but very erratic results. Now that I'm focusing on turning my chest it feels like my swing speed is going down quite a bit. This may be a temporary loss or it may be the "feel isn't real" thing and I'm actually still swinging the same or pretty close to what it was. I assume that the proper swing should produce more swing speed and power more consistently than what I had been doing with my "armsy" swing? Any thoughts? I basically am trying to figure out if I'll need to relearn all my club distances.

I would go to the range and start with slower half swings focusing on things working right and then start to make faster and faster swings until you find your threshold of speed vs. control.

- Shane

I would go to the range and start with slower half swings focusing on things working right and then start to make faster and faster swings until you find your threshold of speed vs. control.

That's the plan, I know I can't just jump right into full speed with a fairly major change like this. On a side note, I may actually be able to reliably hit partial swings now by getting away from swinging primarily with my arms. I should also be able to have better control of direction with my knockdown/punch shots. Or, I could be expecting too much from this.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

That's the plan, I know I can't just jump right into full speed with a fairly major change like this. On a side note, I may actually be able to reliably hit partial swings now by getting away from swinging primarily with my arms. I should also be able to have better control of direction with my knockdown/punch shots. Or, I could be expecting too much from this.

I know my son wants to completely swing with his arms. I'm thinking about putting a bungee cord or 2 around his arms and having him hit 100 balls. I like to think of keeping an angle locked (not rigidly mind you) between my left arm and upper torso in the backswing. It collapses just a bit at the top, but that seems to keep my left shoulder turning under my chin.

- Shane

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop

I know my son wants to completely swing with his arms. I'm thinking about putting a bungee cord or 2 around his arms and having him hit 100 balls. I like to think of keeping an angle locked (not rigidly mind you) between my left arm and upper torso in the backswing. It collapses just a bit at the top, but that seems to keep my left shoulder turning under my chin.

Instead of the bungee, how about something like this.

It locks the arms together somewhat and is adjustable.  I would really like to try one, just not in the budget right now.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Instead of the bungee, how about something like this.

It locks the arms together somewhat and is adjustable.  I would really like to try one, just not in the budget right now.

It could be that I enjoy bungee cording the boy. :-D

Added: That appears to be too rigid to me. The bungee cord has a little give to it.

- Shane

Just curious, how does that stop an arm swing? I'm not interested in buying any "training aides" though, just not sure how that would help. For me it's simple to not arm swing as long as I focus on turning my right shoulder back to start the backswing. I am not sure if I'll go to the range tonight or do the *executive* course near work when I leave. That would give me a better idea of where my distances are and it's usually so dead on that part of the course I could play multiple shots which could give me the same effect as going to the range and hitting balls.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: