IGNORED

Does it really matter what type of ball a slow swing speed high handicapper hits?

tlstarkk
Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't tell much difference other than at the real extremes (like the no name balls Grandma buys for my kids). I'm a 20 capper (although on the way down!) and I buy balls purely based on what is on sale within the price range that works for me ($20-$24/case).  Mostly it's Callaway Hex Diablo but I've also played TaylorMade Urethane RBZs, and just bought a few cases of Bridgestone e6 because they were on sale for $19.    I won't spend the money on the Pro v-1's because I still lose a decent number of balls and I also just don't experience that big a difference.

I've never liked playing with found balls (no special reason; just love the ritual of a fresh sleeve at the start of a round).  Anyway, a short while back I ran out of balls and had to use a ball I had found OB.  It was a Top Flight I think with an accounting firm logo on it and the guy's name in messy Sharpie ("Rich").  The kind of balls I generally hate (I must be OCD).  In any case, I birdied the next hole and proceeded to play lights out with it for the rest of the round.  I played "Rich" for about 20 holes after that (a record for me), and was genuinely sad when he took a plunge into a water hazard.  RIP Rich.

In any case, the point is that I can't tell the difference.  I also can't tell the difference between a audiophile level stereo and a regular old loudspeaker and I like a cold Bud as much as any artisan micro brew.  So I guess I should count myself lucky to avoid desiring certain expensive things.  Unfortunately I can very much tell the difference between a nice bottle of wine and $2 Chuck from Trader Joe's so I got screwed on that one.

I would love to get to the point where my game was good enough to tell the difference in the ball.

my sentiments exactly.   I've had my share of Rich balls too - something about them.  RIP Rich ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

I am a retired teaching pro. The balls made today no matter what the MFG. claims they will do doesn't make a lot of difference off the tee as far as distance is concerned. If you are looking for 10 extra yards then maybe. If you are looking for 40 to 50 extra yards, probably not. The new balls are made for a higher lauch angle than the old balata balls. 20 years ago, most hitters would hit 8,9 or even 10 degree loft drivers because they wanted the ball to bouce and roll. Now they have to lauch it higher for more carry.They really don't make a ball that according to USGA rules that will give a lot of distance if say your swing speed is less than 85mph.

I have always been an advocate for equipment to make the game more fun for every player to include eqipment that don't meet the USGA rules. I have played golf for 40 years and have seen myself go from a 0 handicap to a 15 due to age and my swing speed from over 100 down to a 78. My average off the tee is about 200 yards. My next longest would be my 3 wood at about175 so I work hard on my short game now LOL. For that reason, I use the Pro V's and B330's for the control around the greens.

A recommended ball for a slow swing speed is the Bridgestone e6.. but how much of a difference would playing a lets say pro v have on a score.  Do these anti slice or low compression balls really make a difference?  I feel better when playing a name brand ball rather than a top flite or pinnace, so it seems i would be doing better hitting a ball i like.  (btw i dont go out and buy brand new expensive golf balls, i find them or buy used ones)

I was and still am a big fan of the e6. I think it might be easier to hit a wilson duo or 50 elite cause they compress very easily and the callaway supersoft is the same. wilson 50 elite you can pick up 2 dozen for $24 and they come in white yellow and orange. All claim to be better for slower swing speeds (or at least easier to compress). I found, and I'm not very good at golf, that hitting the e6 was easier then a pro v1 or pro v1x. A sliced ball o.b will always add an extra stroke. that being said you can still slice an e6 (I speak from experience). If you loose strokes due to a slice or hook or just can't get distance then pro v's are not for you. If strokes are lost due to keeping the ball on the green with approach shots and the short game then a higher spin ball might help. I hear the project a spins very well and it is a medium compression ball.

in my :tmade: 25th anniversary r7 bag,

Driver: :tmade: r7 superquad,

Fairway metal: :tmade: rbz stage 2 15*,

Hybrid: :tmade: rbz 3 hybrid,

Irons: 3-pw :tmade: tour preferred,

Wedges: :tmade: atv 54* 58*,

Putter: :odyssey: white ice #9 custom painted

Balls: :tmade: rocketballz urethane

Note: This thread is 3535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!