• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

Much is written on how to tee up for a driver - what about 3W?

9 posts in this topic

We know for a driver, high and forward generally encourages a positive angle of attack to maximize distance. What about a 3W?

I generally put the ball a little more forward of where I have it for a 3 iron. Height, I tee it up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

What is the optimal Aoa for a 15 degree 3W?

Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

This is a good question!  I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say, but for me I'm thinking about 1/4 inch of the ground or somewhere around there!

Awards and Achievements

We know for a driver, high and forward generally encourages a positive angle of attack to maximize distance. What about a 3W?

I generally put the ball a little more forward of where I have it for a 3 iron. Height, I tee it up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

What is the optimal Aoa for a 15 degree 3W?

I usually tee it up just like how I tee it up for an iron which is just barely above the turf.

The tour average AoA is -3 degrees or so for a 3 wood. I'm not sure if it's effective to get a positive AoA for a 3 wood just like a driver, but since I do practice hitting 3 wood off the deck at the range, I just try to keep the conditions relatively the same and tee it up just barely clearing the grass.

With my Titliest 910F 15* 3W I tee the ball about 1/4 inch off the ground (due to the shallow depth of the face) with the ball positioned just left of center (right hand swing).

I thought we want a sweeping motion, so AoA of almost 0/- degrees? and tee up at a cleat level of 1/4"?

Awards and Achievements

Add me to the 1/4" crew. I put the ball position maybe a 1/2 ball back from my driver stance. If I put it any higher than that, I pop it up. I usually hit my 3 wood around 200- 210 yards depending on rollout.

Awards and Achievements

I like the old advice that a low teed ball encourages a fade and a higher teed ball a draw. Most of the time, I'm trying to hit a gentle fade off the tee - so tee it pretty low, though still higher than I would for an iron. No idea how that measures up in terms of mm. If I feel a straight or draw flight is absolutely necessary, then I think a 3 wood is more reliable than a driver and I tee it a little higher.

I usually tee it up just like how I tee it up for an iron which is just barely above the turf.

The tour average AoA is -3 degrees or so for a 3 wood. I'm not sure if it's effective to get a positive AoA for a 3 wood just like a driver, but since I do practice hitting 3 wood off the deck at the range, I just try to keep the conditions relatively the same and tee it up just barely clearing the grass.

Tour players are also swinging a lot faster than most golfers, so they can "get away" with hitting down 3*.  I would recommend a pretty level strike for a fairway wood.  You can still have a pretty shallow AoA with a fairway wood off the deck, some of the best fairway woods players brush the grass just before the ball.  Shallow is good for fairway woods, gets the ball up in the air without the ball ballooning.

Awards and Achievements

Very recent 3-wood owner/user here.  I started out with it teed just above the grass from a pretty tightly mowed tee boxes.  Too low.  Went up to about 1/4" and was hitting line drives.  Finally ended up about 1/2" lower than my driver with the ball just slightly less forward than my driver and definitely swinging up and through the ball.  Great ball flight now - high and straight.  Rolls out to about 200 on a good swing.

I bought the 3-wood last year because my home course has a par-3 that plays due west and usually into the wind.  It plays anywhere from 188 to about 215 if tees are back. Prior to the getting the 3-wood, the longest club in my bag was a 3-hybrid that would go 170-180 with my best swing on a calm day on the long par-3 into the wind.

Once the tee was back making the hole play about 210 into a 30mph wind.  Hit driver and didn't even make the front of the green!  Nasty, nasty NASTY par-3 hole sometimes!

dave