• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nevets88

McIlroy A7-A8 dtl - is this excessive face rotation or just right?

11 posts in this topic

It's a long iron draw, looks just about right to me, not excessive. Wondering what others think. Hit the green in two with this, so can't argue with the result.

Awards and Achievements

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Awards and Achievements

Yes - gonna have to reread that post.

Awards and Achievements

@iacas I thought toe up at A8 was closed to the arc and not optimal?

Awards and Achievements

@iacas I thought toe up at A8 was closed to the arc and not optimal?

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."

Awards and Achievements

We see all sorts of rates of rotation from PGA Tour players. It is closed to the arc, but throwing the club tends to do that, so you're more likely to see toe up at 8 than "angled hinging."

I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"

Awards and Achievements

I understand throwing the club, but what is "angled hinging?"

Sorry, TGM terms.

Toe up at A6 is "open to the plane" but you see it in 99% of PGA Tour pros. It's fine. The act of throwing also tends to produce a rolling or closing face (above and beyond what would normally be required to "keep the clubface square to the plane").

Awards and Achievements

@iacas - not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

Awards and Achievements

@iacas- not sure what throwing is. It sounds like a less controlled let go(ing) of the arms and hands after A7. Is throwing a good or bad thing? Or just a thing?

It's just this, again:

Awards and Achievements

It's just this, again:

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

Awards and Achievements

When I first read this, I didn't "get" it as much as I do now, as I better understand TGM terminology and understand the geometry of the swing better. Makes me wonder - do you need to "understand", have an implicit feel for the motions and how they tie together before you can really get the most out of the above thread?

I don't know if Phil Mickelson could tell you the first thing about TGM, so… I want to say "no" to that. :-)

Players instinctively "throw" the clubhead at the ball. So long as it's not "thrown" before impact, they can be quite good.

Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
    • 2016 TST Initiative: Forward Tees Tournament
      In Lowest Score Wins, we recommend that golfers play from the forward tees in order to experience "breaking 80" for the first time, or shooting 65, or having more birdie putts than they've ever had, or whatever. This year, in 2016, we're taking it one step farther: we're encouraging everyone here to work with the head pro at your home course (or, if you play multiple courses, the head pro at each of them!) and to set up a serious "Forward Tees Tournament." A Forward Tees Tournament (FTT) will be: FUN! Enlightening Unique Challenging I'll give anyone who creates and/or participates in a FTT this year the special achievement/award seen to the left. Anyone with this award will be entered to win a TST prize to be determined at the end of the year (and I'll do my best to make it a fairly good prize, but that shouldn't be the main reason why anyone should do this). You can play: With or without handicaps. With or without brackets/divisions/flights. Stroke play or match play. 18, 27, 36, 54+ holes. One day, two days, three days. Etc. I think golfers will love playing in this type of tournament. I think it will challenge them to think about how they play and score. I think it will result in faster play, more fun, more birdies, more chances to hit 7-iron into par fives and feel like a Tour player for once, and… lower scores (or higher scores for the dumb players!). So there you have it. What can you do from here? Pledge here in this thread to talk to your head pro. Recruit your buddies and local golfers to play in your event. Work with your head pro to make the event a success. Play in the event! Post here after your tournament has been played to claim your super-exclusive award/achievement! I'm in. I'll be doing this, hopefully at multiple courses this year. Are you?
    • Posting old scores
      I haven't had an official handicap for about 15 years because in the past several I've only been able to play 6-8 times per year. This year I joined a club so that I could play in tournaments and since I need five scores to get a handicap, I entered some scores in GHIN from my last few rounds in 2015 (since I play so rarely, I can remember them). When I was doing this, I forgot to change the date when posting a score from August so it defaulted to today and is now my most recent reported score. GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Another thing is sometimes to 'give up' on par. For example, as a bogey golfer, if I hit a bad tee shot and end up say 220yds from the hold on a par 4 rather than the usual 130yds, play the hole as if bogey is the new par. You've made the hole more difficult for yourself and rather than trying to hit the green with a 3 wood (a green designed to be hit with a mid/short iron), take 2 shots to get on the green and 2 shots to get down. 1 220yd par 4 is an easy hole (could even make birdie (which becomes par and a great save) whereas a 220 yd par 3, not off the tee, is asking for trouble. Not always the best way to play golf (read Lowest Score Wins) but the best way to avoid blowing up.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Find it yourself please. I don't think that would provide much insight. Courses, technology… all very different. Too many differences. People who qualify for the Opens rarely actually compete for them. The winners and top finishers almost always come from those who qualify automatically. I'm not. Very few foreign golfers played on the PGA Tour in the 60s. It's been steadily growing - and travel has made it easier, too - through to now. And even now we're starting to see Asian golfers really take over. The only Asian golfer many could name who competed against Nicklaus was Isao Aoki. Maybe Jumbo Ozaki. I'm just talking about the number of golfers. There are a ton more now. I don't care. I realize perhaps your condition forces you to take everything literally, but I wasn't being literal here. The PGA Tour takes the best 150 players or so out of X. As X grows, the amount of separation between those top 150 players narrows. We're in a very narrow phase right now. When Jack was playing, the gap was significantly wider. No. Tiger was quite a bit more dominant and "above" even MORE highly competitive fields. Both halves of that are true: Tiger won by larger margins and against stronger fields. I agree. And I've said similar things. No…? You don't say? (On page 273 of a thread doing just that…)? You seem to be the only person who regards WGCs as weaker fields that offer a "competitive break." It says a lot about how others should consider your opinions on strength of field. You're assuming or haven't read many of my posts in this thread, because I've said several times that I'd put it within a few points of 50/50. Maybe 55/45. Hardly what I'd call "strong." Of course we're both "estimating." Tiger's record, IMO, against significantly stiffer competition, puts him ahead. Not by a lot. Not really. If only 30 players had a realistic chance to win a tournament, adding players beyond that 30th player does little to affect the strength of the field. The WGCs could add 200 club professionals that would never win and… the strength of field would remain exactly the same. Where have I said this? Because even if I did, it doesn't support whatever you're trying to force it into supporting here. The odds of a club pro beating anyone on the PGA Tour these days are slim to none. They were slightly more likely back when fewer "A" players played the PGA Tour… like in the 60s and 70s. A "C" player's game almost never varies enough - not for four days - to beat even 10 or 15 "A" players. Here's an opinion, but one I could probably back up if I cared enough to take the time (I do not): a modern WGC has a stronger field than many (perhaps all) of the majors Nicklaus won. I've said this before, and will say it again here: In Jack's day, there were maybe 10-15 "A" players, 25 "B" players, and the rest were "C" players. Today there are 100+ A players and the rest B players. I'm also going to request, mostly because of the number of times I've had to repeat myself in this thread, that you not quote or respond to me, @natureboy, in this thread. I'm not keen on repeating myself about something that, ultimately, I don't care that much about. It is what it is, their records are what they are, and they could only beat the guys they played against.
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Never try to hit through trees, always just get back to the fairway.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries