IGNORED

My Swing (AbsoluteTruths)

AbsoluteTruths
Note: This thread is 1103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, wow.

Thanks but when I went out to play today my practice swing was like the one one the right.

My real swing was like the one on the left. Frustrating.

I think it is all in my head.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have not been playing well lately and my scores and handicap reflect that. My handicap moved from 27.6 to 28.0 and the 11 I shot on Friday will not help. I am working hard on SK#2 and keep telling myself that this is a major change in my swing and will take some time(maybe a lot) for me to ingrain this into my swing. I have over 10 years of not shifting my weight to overcome.

Is this true that this is a major change and should I not be striking the the ball well as this change is occurring?

Doug

I have not been playing well lately and my scores and handicap reflect that. My handicap moved from 27.6 to 28.0 and the 11 I shot on Friday will not help. I am working hard on SK#2 and keep telling myself that this is a major change in my swing and will take some time(maybe a lot) for me to ingrain this into my swing. I have over 10 years of not shifting my weight to overcome. Is this true that this is a major change and should I not be striking the the ball well as this change is occurring?

How are you calculating your handicap? I ask because an 11 shouldn't count past ESC towards it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

How are you calculating your handicap? I ask because an 11 shouldn't count past ESC towards it.

I am using GHIN. I meant to say I shot a 111. It was on a course I have never played before and shots that went too far off the fairway

were lost in thick brush. It was Mystic Dunes in Orlando.

Doug

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I am using GHIN. I meant to say I shot a 111. It was on a course I have never played before and shots that went too far off the fairway

were lost in thick brush. It was Mystic Dunes in Orlando.

Ah, the 111 makes sense.

So, one little tidbit of information I got from the clinic is that you don't necessarily hit your longest club, but you hit your longest safest club off the tee in a "difficult" situation. I tend to hit my hybrid off the tee a lot in these situations where I have a really tight shot. Sometimes an iron.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Did a lot of swings in the yard with the hips preset drill. Got some plastic golf balls and am hitting them with this drill. I think this is going to help a lot.

Doug

Yesterday for the first time I went out on the course to practice. I thought it would be relaxing and constructive. Boy was I wrong. I was all tense and in a hurry for several reasons I do not want to bore you with. I only hit a couple good shots in a hour and a half I was out there. Here is a video my wife took of me taking a practice and then a fat shot with a wedge. You can see the vast difference.

Doug

I started pushing everything to the right.  I noticed that with my hips moving forward my hands were also more forward. So the club face was coming through impact open. So I got into the impact position and then set the club square and the balls started straighter At least into the net.

Is this normal? 

Doug

It could be just an off day issue. I have this sometimes. I always focus on getting back to basics when things go bad. Take a few practice swing focusing on what your priority pieces are and things will get back to where you were.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Got a good analysis from my Evolvr coach. 

I was asking for more drills or a structured routine to get this SK #2. But he told me that was not what I needed. I know how to swing the club the correct way without a golf ball in front of me.

When I make a practice swing my only thought is swing correctly. When the ball is in front of me my thoughts shift to ball direction and pure contact and results and move the new swing thought to the back of my mind and my body just reverts to my old swing I have done a zillion times.

This is a quote from Brian that explains what I have to do better than I can: "You, like many people, know what you want to do, but probably aren't forcing yourself to make the move at all costs. Meaning, you don't care how it feels or what shots it produces, your only concern is forcing the picture to look different.

I just started hitting balls into a net in my yard this week. I think this will help a lot.

Doug

I watched my Evolvr analysis again today before going to play a practice 9. What I got out of it this time was that I need to play on the course or whenever a ball is in front of me with swing thoughts in my head. The opposite of the most common advice. But this is during my swing change to get SK #2.

I struck the ball great today. There were several things that could have caused this.

• I was calm
  • I pre-set at setup with a forward hip bump
  • I thought about mechanics during my swing
  • I closed my stance to help get from the inside
  • I have been hitting balls into my net in the back yard

Lots of very good ball contact.

Doug

• Administrator

I watched my Evolvr analysis again today before going to play a practice 9. What I got out of it this time was that I need to play on the course or whenever a ball is in front of me with swing thoughts in my head. The opposite of the most common advice. But this is during my swing change to get SK #2.

I don't remember the last time I played golf without a swing thought or a feeling (kind of the same in my mind… my swing thoughts are a feeling).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas I had a problem where I was taking a good practice swing with swing thoughts to shift my weight forward on the downswing. But when I addressed the ball those thoughts were pushed to the back of my mind and thoughts of where and how far the ball would go along with thoughts of hazards in view were forefront in my mind. So the bad no weight shift squatting swing that I have swung thousands of times would come out.

I do not think I have seen anywhere on this forum a mention to fill your mind with swing thoughts especially when making a major change like I am even out on the course. Make a swing where you are all in on the change and not care what the ball did. That is what help me today. Thanks to Evolvr Brian.

Doug

• Administrator

@iacas I had a problem where I was taking a good practice swing with swing thoughts to shift my weight forward on the downswing. But when I addressed the ball those thoughts were pushed to the back of my mind and thoughts of where and how far the ball would go along with thoughts of hazards in view were forefront in my mind. So the bad no weight shift squatting swing that I have swung thousands of times would come out.

I know. I've followed along. :-)

I do not think I have seen anywhere on this forum a mention to fill your mind with swing thoughts especially when making a major change like I am even out on the course. Make a swing where you are all in on the change and not care what the ball did. That is what help me today. Thanks to Evolvr Brian.

I'm not sure why that's a response to me.

You don't want to fill your mind with swing thoughts on the course. Not even at the range. Nobody I know or have taught would ever say that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do not think I have seen anywhere on this forum a mention to fill your mind with swing thoughts especially when making a major change like I am even out on the course. 

Well let's be clear, nobody is saying to fill your mind with swing thoughts but when you play you probably should have a swing thought or feel.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I know. I've followed along. :-)

I'm not sure why that's a response to me.

You don't want to fill your mind with swing thoughts on the course. Not even at the range. Nobody I know or have taught would ever say that.

Well let's be clear, nobody is saying to fill your mind with swing thoughts but when you play you probably should have a swing thought or feel.

@iacas and @mvmac Have you seen my analysis from Brian? I sounds like you are telling me I did not understand what he was telling me. It also sounds like you are telling me that I did not experience what I experienced during my practice round.

Maybe "fill my head" is the wrong phrase to use. But my problem as I stated above was not having swing thoughts when a ball was in front of me.

@iacas my response was directed to you because I am talking to you.

Doug

@iacas and @mvmac Have you seen my analysis from Brian? I sounds like you are telling me I did not understand what he was telling me. It also sounds like you are telling me that I did not experience what I experienced during my practice round.

Maybe "fill my head" is the wrong phrase to use. But my problem as I stated above was not having swing thoughts when a ball was in front of me.

No, I haven't seen any of Brian's analyses and I'm not questioning your experience. I was just backing up the thinking that golfers should have one swing thought/feel when they play and not "fill" their heads with swing thoughts. "Fill your head" to me means juggling 4 or 5 feels at once.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 1103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!