IGNORED

Course management - How would you react?

cbe_golfer
Note: This thread is 6034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How would you react?.

• Low draw with a three wood/hybid into the green.
    • Draw layup in front of the creek with an iron.
    • Pitch it straight 100 yards and hit another iron into green.
    • Other..please describe.

This is a crude sketch of what I had in mind.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

I'd layup to about 110, my preferred wedge distance.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

this is a par 5 from the way you set it up it seems.
I would play a 7/6 iron to the front of the creek and hit a wedge to the pin real close and one putt for a birdie.. and if the one putt didn't work, then I got par and go on to the next hole to do it again..
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

Not enough information. How tall are the trees? If I can get over the trees with it, I probably hit about a 7 or 8 iron short of the water, then pitch to the green from there. Sounds like anything else is just asking to hit the drink.

The 9th hole on my home course has a similar problem, although on a shorter shot. If you hit your tee shot too far left and short of the the dogleg, you can be left with a 180 yard shot requiring a 40 - 50 yard hook. No water in front, but your aim point is the middle of pond to the right of the fairway... fail to hook (or just don't hook it enough) and you are guaranteed wet. When I'm faced with that, it's an automatic pitchout, often with a lower lofted club to advance it as far as possible and still keep it under the tree limbs.

Anyway, I hit whatever club I can to advance the ball as far as possible without risking dumping it in the water. I don't try anything as dangerous as a a hard hook around the dogleg from that close. For me, that would be counterproductive.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

not enough info here. Specifically, where is the pin and what is the best angle to attack. How much green do you have to work with?

The tougher the pin position, the more likely I am to layup. My real question is where is the easiest place to get up and down from. Depending on this, I could see myself hitting a draw to lay-up just short of the creek, hitting a draw to layup just over the creek or going for the green.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Definitely two shots to the green for me.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Well if I could hit my three wood that far I would def go for it but I cant, so I would just lay up just short of the green

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

Oh most definitely two shots. A nice 125-yard shot in would be perfect.

Even needing a birdie (assuming it's a par-5), it'd be the right decision for me. The odds are greater that I can birdie it like than, they they are of me hitting a 240-yard draw over a creek. :(

This is a crude sketch of what I had in mind.

Based on this, I don't even think a low draw is necessary. Although I'd like to know where the pin is and the elevation before I'd make a final decision, as is, I would still draw it around the corner and go for the green. (I prefer to cut the corner but if they are impossibly high I'll go for the draw).

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I was in this situation this weekend except there was no creek and instead of trees, it was the side of a mountain about 120 meters high. I drew it around the mountain to about 100 yards out, missed the green on my approach, was on in 4 and two putted for bogey.
In my bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad
Woods: RPM LP 3W & 5W
Irons: MX-25 4-SWPutter: Detour

If I'm 240 yards out and you let me tee it up and hit driver, there's a very good chance that even a straight shot would leave me short. So unless I read this description wrong, I'm going to lay up to about 95 yards and hit a pitching wedge into the green. And if I'm long or short on my "to-lay-up" shot, then I hit a GW or 9I, both of which I'm fine with.

Exactly my approach, except I hit my PW 135 so I'd need to hit my 54* (95-105 yards) to get the right distance for my PW, which I am most comfortable hitting at a full swing.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a situation. You are in the short grass perfect lie. You have 240 to the center of the green..very big landing area..no disasters around the green. There is a creek 60 yards from the front of the green. Your shot is a dog leg left turning at about 50 yards..tall clump of trees. You cant go over the trees and make it to the green. What would you play?

Hmmm...Let me get this straight (making some assumptions based on your description)...

If I'm 240 to center and the creek is 60 yards in front of the green then I'm guessing a shot of about 170 is required to clear the creek (240 minus ~10 yards to get front of green distance minus 60 yards to creek). I have a dogleg at about 50 yards (assuming you are saying the dogleg is 50 yards in front of the green not 50 yards in front of where my ball is which is totally different). Anyway, that puts the dogleg right around the distance of the creek so any layup should be in front of the creek not beyond since there wouldn't be much room to land it there unless you are going for the green with a draw (assuming you are right handed). Personally, (depending on the width of the creek) I would hit my 130 club to the right side of the dogleg leaving me a wedge into the green for my third shot. The risks of hitting a 240 yard draw and putting it on the green when you are dealing with a dogleg and cluster of trees that could knock the ball down into the nearby creek if you cut the corner too much aren't worth it. If you pull off the shot but miss the green you are still looking at chipping/pitching on in 3. After my layup, I should be on in 3 as well with an easy gap wedge.
In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

This would be a 7 or 8 iron lay up for me, leaving some type of wedge. I would decide based on the club I think I would give me a flat to slightly uphil lie. I would rather be 110 with a flat lie then 85 with a downhill lie.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

You say it's a perfect lie and the is no trouble and a big landing area around the green. Therefore, it sounds like unless I pull hook one into the clump of trees, its a green light all day long. Worst case I'll have a little chip or pitch. And I would prefer to call it a high draw with my 3 wood.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 6034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!