IGNORED

What should I tip my caddie?

hjimzaf
Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On monday I'm playing a course that provides caddies for a $35 charge plus gratuities. How much should I tip. If it helps, this is the course.
http://www.chambersbaygolf.com

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

Wedges X-Tour 56* and 60*

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

All depends on how well they do? You don't tip a server very well if they don't give you good service do you?

How you like this weather we are having?

Good Luck you are going to need it.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

When in doubt, overtip. Be observant and tip what your playing partners do. But don't ask (that's cheesey).

Golf is about good karma. If you stiff 'em, the golf gods viewing that course will curse your score.

JK

Play well...enjoy your round.

i'm not too worried about the weather. it's supposed to be 60 and partly cloudy. I'm the only one in my foursome getting a caddie. the others are carrying their own bag. when i called the pro shop to reserve a caddie they said that the 35 dollars goes to the caddie. if he does a really good job do i give another 35, 40, 50?

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

i'm not too worried about the weather. it's supposed to be 60 and partly cloudy. I'm the only one in my foursome getting a caddie. the others are carrying their own bag. when i called the pro shop to reserve a caddie they said that the 35 dollars goes to the caddie. if he does a really good job do i give another 35, 40, 50?

I always use the 20% rule...more if they do a great job-

Not sure what the rules are with Caddy's, but most servers are on thier tips, as if they recieved 15%...whether they actually did or not...
In My Bag:
Driver-Burner 9.5- Stiff
3 Wood- Tour Edge Bazooka
Hybrids- 2,3,5 - Tour Edge Bazooka QL Ironwoods
Irons-Burner XD- 4-SW steel,stiffPutter-Odyssey Dual Force 2

$40 at the least.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

wow I use to caddy when I was 12/13 and got about 4dollars depending on how fast the round was. and my tips were like 50c to 1.00. I played the course all the time and knew all the good shots and greens too.. those were the best times ever. if I had to say I would probably go with the 20%tip. a kid a burger king get like 8.00hr and this guy just carried your bag for like 4hrs and gave course hints.. 7 bucks doesn't seem like that much. maybe a 10 spot would be a better starting point... good topic
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

i'd tip at least the base rate, more if they are really good, less if they aren't.

Also, i'd tip a bit less if they are carrying double.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

Tough to say. This article says 50% of the caddie fee.

http://golf.about.com/cs/beginnersgu...olftipping.htm

But with a caddy fee of only $35, even if they get out 3 times a day, at the very most, that's only $105 a day. Assuming a 5 day work week that's not a lot of money. I would imagine they rely heavily on tips. That doesn't mean you have to just throw money at them though. If they do a good job and are not annoying or anything, I'd give around $60-$70 total.

I do agree with the article though in one respect, it says that if you are playing somewhere that has caddies, you've already decided to spend some money that day. So don't short the caddie to save a buck or two.

I've never had a caddy, but...

$35 goes to the caddy for 4 hours of work, is less than $10 an hour. I would try to make it so he gets at least $15/hour, which would be another $25 to make it a total of $60 for 4 hours of work.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

Tough to say. This article says 50% of the caddie fee.

So much of this depends on the caddie. If all your caddy does is carrying the bag and clean clubs, then $8 an hour is probably a rather appropriate rate. If they do more than more $$ are obviously warranted. Over the past 5-7 years, I think the quality of caddies at resort courses has declined significantly (with Bandon Dunes and Erin Hills as exceptions).

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

im 16 and i caddy at a local country club.. our pay is all tips... minimum is around $50 but its common to get around $80 per bag ($160 altogether carrying two bags).. after looking through this threar i guess i am pretty fortunate for making over $45 an hour at my course considering rounds are in the low 3 hour range

DRIVER: R7 425 REAX STIFF
WOOD: R5 3 FW
IRONS: MP-60 4-PW
HYBRID: RESCUE MID 3 STEEL
WEDGES: MP R 52 & 58 CHROMEPUTTER: BLADEcoming soon: new woods and putter

I gave him $85 which was a $50 tip. He was awesome. He cleaned my clubs, my ball, raked my traps, read the greens, etc, etc. His yardage book was full of info and he always had yardage and had great tips on how to play each hole. He said he's played the course a bunch of times and also loops at bandon dunes. I also told him not to give any info to my playing partners because there was money on the line and if they didn't want to pay for a caddie then they shouldn't get info. Ha ha!

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

Nice. Did you win enough off of your buddies to offset the cost of the tip?

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I gave him $85 which was a $50 tip. He was awesome. He cleaned my clubs, my ball, raked my traps, read the greens, etc, etc. His yardage book was full of info and he always had yardage and had great tips on how to play each hole. He said he's played the course a bunch of times and also loops at bandon dunes. I also told him not to give any info to my playing partners because there was money on the line and if they didn't want to pay for a caddie then they shouldn't get info. Ha ha!

Since money was on the line, how did you turn out?

Also, what did you think of the new course?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I lost 5 bucks. I shot a 95 which I will gladly take from this course. I loved the course. Great layout, nice challenge. Definitely worth the money.

Diablo Octane
Big Bertha 2007 3W 

Razr X 3H, 4H
Razr X Irons 5-PW 

White Ice D.A.R.T Mallet 

Ball Tour i(s)

I didn't look at the course link but: if the course is private and you are a guest DO NOT let your host pull the "oh roger don't worry, I'll take care of the caddie" because he is cheap and will not give as much as you would. Don't let someone get screwed over after lugging double bags around for 4 1/2 hours. This happens because he is used to having some poor kid carry his bag, caddies are really a luxury (at least here they are) so you just have to remember that your caddie isn't out there because he just loves to carry bags, he needs to support him/herself.

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Note: This thread is 6042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!