IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Started with around a 15 handicap and am currently a 12.7! Shot my personal best a 78 today and have had a lot of rounds in the mid 80's lately.

Been hiting between 6-12 greens and the last 2 days I hit 10 and 11 fairways so my driver has been there. Need to work on my long iron play, bunker shots, some more putting, and inside 100 yard wedge shots.

Hoping to be shooting under 80 almost every round by the end of the summer and hopefully be a single digit but need to keep practicing and playing!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use distance balls and they consistently go further.   The thing is, when I hit solid in field, I will hit 240.   But those solid shots are rare for my drives.   For shorter clubs, I do much better in terms of out hitting my range shots.    I think I don't let it loose my drives in fear of hitting them into OB areas.

In my opinion you're wayyy overestimating how much further your distance ball goes than range balls. If they aren't limited distance most range balls go just as far as your prov1 or damn close. I've been on a launch monitor and only about a 5 yard difference between shitty Nike range balls and my Prov1x with Driver. You're saying your distance ball is 20% further, just not possible unless they are limited distance.

Started with around a 15 handicap and am currently a 12.7! Shot my personal best a 78 today and have had a lot of rounds in the mid 80's lately.

Been hiting between 6-12 greens and the last 2 days I hit 10 and 11 fairways so my driver has been there. Need to work on my long iron play, bunker shots, some more putting, and inside 100 yard wedge shots.

Hoping to be shooting under 80 almost every round by the end of the summer and hopefully be a single digit but need to keep practicing and playing!

That's fantastic man, I'm chasing you as we both started as 15's. I'm at 14 but ready to make a move....!

Ok here is the latest swing. My 7 wood from dtl. I am certainly improving as far as not sucking the club so far inside but still have a big gap between my right elbow and my body at the top of the swing. Face is more square though and I'm encouraged by this that's for sure.

In my opinion you're wayyy overestimating how much further your distance ball goes than range balls. If they aren't limited distance most range balls go just as far as your prov1 or damn close. I've been on a launch monitor and only about a 5 yard difference between shitty Nike range balls and my Prov1x with Driver. You're saying your distance ball is 20% further, just not possible unless they are limited distance.

I disagree. I've hit plenty of range balls that were quite dead. A 20% distance reduction in beat up range balls is not unheard of. I hit balls on a FlightScope last week and I'm sure the range balls were not carrying like a real golf ball. I regularly carry my 6 iron 165 yards on the golf course (laser rangefinder measured) and my average on the FlightScope was around 148. Same results with my Driver, it was 20% shorter than on course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I use distance balls and they consistently go further.   The thing is, when I hit solid in field, I will hit 240.   But those solid shots are rare for my drives.   For shorter clubs, I do much better in terms of out hitting my range shots.    I think I don't let it loose my drives in fear of hitting them into OB areas.

Nope.  You misunderstood.   I routinely carry 200+ yards with range balls.    With roll out, they will go 220+ yards.   With balls I use (E6, NXT Tour), solid hits will carry 220 yards + 20 yard carry = 240 total, just 10% more.  Not 20%.   But I don't get that at my home course.  My home course has too many OB areas (not hazards) running along the fairways as the course is located inside vineyard.  And all vineyards are OBs.  I am pretty sure I am restricting my swing speed to guide my ball into fairways.   Wind is a factor, too.

And as @MyrtleBeachGolf stated above, some range balls go 20% shorter.   One of the ranges I used to go have very short range with fence bordering neighborhood houses.  Their range balls go short to prevent golfers from hitting them over the fence.   Another range has balls which float.  Yup, their range is over water and balls are collected from a boat.  Those floaters don't fly very much.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I disagree. I've hit plenty of range balls that were quite dead. A 20% distance reduction in beat up range balls is not unheard of. I hit balls on a FlightScope last week and I'm sure the range balls were not carrying like a real golf ball. I regularly carry my 6 iron 165 yards on the golf course (laser rangefinder measured) and my average on the FlightScope was around 148. Same results with my Driver, it was 20% shorter than on course.

I meant 10% or 20 yards with driver. As you can see from my example 17 yards shorter at 165 = 10% reduction. That was my bad. I didn't mean 20%.

[QUOTE name="layup" url="/t/82815/the-drive-for-5/126#post_1175861"]   [QUOTE name="rkim291968" url="/t/82815/the-drive-for-5/126#post_1175366"] I don't fully understand how to do this yet.  I am routinely hitting range balls about 200+ carry.  With real balls [/QUOTE] Range balls are not always shorter than real balls fyi. Are you sure they're limited distance? [/QUOTE] I use distance balls and they consistently go further.   The thing is, when I hit solid in field, I will hit 240.   But those solid shots are rare for my drives.   For shorter clubs, I do much better in terms of out hitting my range shots.    I think I don't let it loose my drives in fear of hitting them into OB areas.

Limited flight usually have it stamped on them and they feel lighter. Brand new standard range balls go slightly shorter, and older ones can go up to 10% shorter according to my recent tests which sort of confirmed the GD tests you posted some time ago. When you say hit 240 is that carry?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When you say hit 240 is that carry?

I wish.  It's with roll.   But I don't get much roll from my home course turf.  With aforementioned restriction of my swing, I barely average 220 yard on solid drives.   Once in a while, I will 230 - 240, even 275 wind aided.  But those shots are rare.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I wish.  It's with roll.

So, I noticed that range balls have less spin than a regular play ball. This might account for more distance? I found that balls like "Ultra" seem to have less spin as well. They feel slippery and have shallower dimples, if you try those it might give you the same distances as on the range. The only issue is less spin on the approaches and around the green. It really depends upon the greens, and if you "flop" more than bump and run. Bump and run should be fine, but if you depend upon a lot of spin maybe not? On approaches, if you tend to "layup" it should be fine as well.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/balls/recreational/ultra-500-distance-golf-balls/

I haven't bought any, but I find them on the course all the time and use them sometimes. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Quote:

I wish.  It's with roll.

So, I noticed that range balls have less spin than a regular play ball. This might account for more distance? I found that balls like "Ultra" seem to have less spin as well. They feel slippery and have shallower dimples, if you try those it might give you the same distances as on the range. The only issue is less spin on the approaches and around the green. It really depends upon the greens, and if you "flop" more than bump and run. Bump and run should be fine, but if you depend upon a lot of spin maybe not?

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/balls/recreational/ultra-500-distance-golf-balls/

I haven't bought any, but I find them on the course all the time and use them sometimes. . .

Hmm.  Range balls have less spin ... that may be one of the factors.  I still think my biggest issue is that I don't let loose my driver.   My shorter drives' distance is shorter that those of 3 wood.  And from tee box, it looks like a solid hit until I walk up to my ball.  It'd be stopped around 200 yards.

To experiment with my theory, a few times this year I went to my old home course with wide fairways and no OB areas.   I let loose my swing and I think my drive average was much better, closer to 230.  By swinging out of my shoes, I had a few slices.  Otherwise, my drive average would have been better.   It's those slices that makes me hesitant to hit with higher speed at my current course.  Those slices will likely be OBs.   I will see what I can do to overcome this.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wish.  It's with roll.

So, I noticed that range balls have less spin than a regular play ball. This might account for more distance? I found that balls like "Ultra" seem to have less spin as well. They feel slippery and have shallower dimples, if you try those it might give you the same distances as on the range. The only issue is less spin on the approaches and around the green. It really depends upon the greens, and if you "flop" more than bump and run. Bump and run should be fine, but if you depend upon a lot of spin maybe not?

Hmm.  Range balls have less spin ... that may be one of the factors.  I still think my biggest issue is that I don't let loose my driver.   My shorter drives' distance is shorter that those of 3 wood.  And from tee box, it looks like a solid hit until I walk up to my ball.  It'd be stopped around 200 yards.

To experiment with my theory, a few times this year I went to my old home course with wide fairways and no OB areas.   I let loose my swing and I think my drive average was much better, closer to 230.  By swinging out of my shoes, I had a few slices.  Otherwise, my drive average would have been better.   It's those slices that makes me hesitant to hit with higher speed at my current course.  Those slices will likely be OBs.   I will see what I can do to overcome this.

Once you get your "good swing", it shouldn't make that much difference anymore. So, get working on it! :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Once you get your "good swing", it shouldn't make that much difference anymore. So, get working on it!

Yes, sir.  Hopefully, before your visit up here.  If I can't "get" it until then, I will take you to my old home (muni) course :-D .

No issues in hitting irons to its distance.   E.g, a solid PW hit = 115+ yards.  2 x that = driver average for most golfer = 230+ yards. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Unless I get to golf more this week my new HI will be 18.6. This means I will have almost reached my goal of 18. Once I get there I'm not sure if I will set a new goal for this year or if I will set a goal to meet by the end of next year.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Quote:

Once you get your "good swing", it shouldn't make that much difference anymore. So, get working on it!

Yes, sir.  Hopefully, before your visit up here.  If I can't "get" it until then, I will take you to my old home (muni) course .

No issues in hitting irons to its distance.   E.g, a solid PW hit = 115+ yards.  2 x that = driver average for most golfer = 230+ yards.  <--- I just don't get that from my home course.

PW with 115 yards of carry approximately translates to about 230 carry with your driver.

Well you have another month, I am in Asia in late August. Hope to come out in September. I would prefer to play Coyote Hills, but would like to play your new home course?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Today, I've carded a 93 (72.3/119, 6772 yards) on a course I never played before.  The streak of beating my HI on 1st time course continues.  This streak continues to affirm that my home course plays a few strokes tougher than it should.

I am happy to report that I needed only 28 putts (Aimpoint, yeah!), and came back with vengeance after poor front 9 (52).  Back 9 was 41.  I struggled early b/c I didn't get to warm up - no range shots, no putting practice - coming straight from work for late afternoon round.  Even better than my putting was 3 wood.   B/c of the length of the course, I needed 3 wood a lot.  Most of them found target.  A few misses were close.   I give credit to the drills I am working on and flaring out my left foot during address.

Things starting to look better after a month of slump.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just signed up for 5 more lessons.   I lesson for 1 less stroke, 5 stroke improvement after the 5 lessons or by 12/31/15 whichever comes first.   1st lesson was spent on drives.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just signed up for 5 more lessons.   I lesson for 1 less stroke, 5 stroke improvement after the 5 lessons or by 12/31/15 whichever comes first.   1st lesson was spent on drives.

Nice. Taking them with a local pro?

Note: This thread is 3024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!