IGNORED

The Drive for 5...

Faksakes
Note: This thread is 3023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

.. strokes off our handicaps !

Thought I'd make a thread and see if anyone is interested in joining me in a quest to take 5 strokes off our handicaps. I know I'm a newb here so if there is no interest from anyone else I'll probably just keep this to track my progress (regression hah) so no worries.

Thread rules:

1.State your Handicap/index and your goal.

I thought 5 strokes was reasonable and yet a real challenge as well for most of us. If you want to set a different goal by all means please join us. I know for those low single digits taking 5 strokes off isn't exactly easy so whatever makes sense for you guys.

2. Update your progress and tough slugging in the thread. Swing vids, pics and horror stories of how you shanked one into the hot cart girl are all welcome and encouraged.

That's it but some other interesting tidbits you may want to add are:

- Are you taking lessons, if not how are you going about improving?

- How much do you practice/play and what is your strategy to improve?

- Post any swing tips that may be working for you and might benefit the rest of us.

- Post your past few rounds so we can see where you're at, your strengths and weakness' etc. etc.

- Anything else you want to add!

Hopefully there is some interest as I think it could be a good learning experience and some fun as well...

I'll bite, sounds cool even though we have quite a few "breaking 80" type threads already. Current AHI:12.5 goal to be able to drop 5 strokes someday, even though it sounds impossible. . . My swing thread contains all the rest. I hit about 240-360 ball a day, do mirror work whenever possible and report only the first one in the 5 minute practice thread. My current problem is OTT and casting. Managed to get a much stronger swing despite not fixing the thing I started to fix. . .:doh:
  • Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok so:

My current index is 15.8 based off of 11 rounds so far this year. Last year I only played twice so I needed to re-establish my index.

My last three rounds have been 86, 107 and 99. I only have two rounds in the 80's so far. I've been taking online lessons with Dan Caraher (iteach) and have had three so far. There are some huge changes needed so the progress is slow and I'll be honest I haven't been to the range as much as I should have.

My swings:

This is before my first lesson with Dan. He noted the huge hip slide toward target and how far I was taking the club inside. He gave me some drills to work on those two issues:

This is after working on those things and I sent Dan this for my second lesson:

Some improvement and Dan got me to work on my posture and straightening my arms more before impact (drills etc).

Below is a vid I took for my third lesson. (Flip flops as I was just done a round and had already changed haha)

I have DTL vids as well but don't want to clog up my post too much. After sending this one is Dan has me working on getting more bend in my right wrist at the top and he also noted that my club face was way open at address and it was causing some issues in my back swing as well as causing me to hit thin weak shots. I was at the range working on it tonight and feel i'm making some good progress finally. It's often frustrating working on swing changes but I think it's all going to be worth it.

Oh an aside, I have been as low as a 9hc for about a week three years ago. That year I played to an 11 most of the time so I'm looking to get back there and even better and compete in some tournaments this summer.

cheers, thanks for reading

James

I'll bite, sounds cool even though we have quite a few "breaking 80" type threads already.

Current AHI:12.5 goal to be able to drop 5 strokes someday, even though it sounds impossible. . .

My swing thread contains all the rest. I hit about 240-360 ball a day, do mirror work whenever possible and report only the first one in the 5 minute practice thread.

My current problem is OTT and casting. Managed to get a much stronger swing despite not fixing the thing I started to fix. . .

Thanks for joining Lihu, I wasn't aware of those thread so apologies if this one is overkill. That's a lot of balls to hit every day, inspiring stuff. Good luck on the quest!

• Administrator

As an interested (though unable to participate) party, something like "25%" would be a more reasonable goal, because for a 5 handicap to shave 5 strokes… it's not quite the same as a 25 shaving 5 strokes, if you know what I mean.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As an interested (though unable to participate) party, something like "25%" would be a more reasonable goal, because for a 5 handicap to shave 5 strokes… it's not quite the same as a 25 shaving 5 strokes, if you know what I mean.

Yes I agree with the sentiment and noted that in the Op actually, the 5 is just a starting point. People can set whatever goal they'd like. If you're a 3 index shaving 1 or 2 strokes would be immensely challenging.

Been there and done that this year (23 in Feb ---> 17 now) - see http://thesandtrap.com/t/78501/diary-of-a-bogey-golfer-with-his-1st-custom-fit-clubs.   Shaving another 5 strokes or 25% from 17 HI is going to be impossible anytime soon given that I digested all the low hanging fruits to improve: fitted clubs, golf specific workout, lessons, working on weaknesses, etc..   But I will bite, too.   My new goal is reducing 5 strokes to 12 HI by end of this year or next or the year after that or ....

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Been there and done that this year (23 in Feb ---> 17 now) - see http://thesandtrap.com/t/78501/diary-of-a-bogey-golfer-with-his-1st-custom-fit-clubs.   Shaving another 5 strokes or 25% from 17 HI is going to be impossible anytime soon given that I digested all the low hanging fruits to improve: fitted clubs, golf specific workout, lessons, working on weaknesses, etc..   But I will bite, too.   My new goal is reducing 5 strokes to 12 HI by end of this year or next or the year after that or ....

That was a really nice improvement.

However, IIRC you also went from a 12 to a 22 in a few months too, but I also remember the struggle you had getting back down.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm in for 25%.  That would bring me down to a 12, which is where I feel is a realistic HC to maintain given my current work/life/golf balance I'm under.

I'm currently taking Evolvr lessons with a complete focus on the driver.  When I look at my last 10 rounds, off the tee costs me the most strokes per round.

My putting performance is 1.89 per hole, so that is solid enough for now.

The second area that costs me strokes is 50 - 75 yard pitch shots, hopefully the new Ben Hogan wedges I just got will solve that issue. :whistle:

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

However, IIRC you also went from a 12 to a 22 in a few months too, but I also remember the struggle you had getting back down.

I had one month of having 12 HI, and it took 1.5 years to go to 23 HI after that.  Before 12 HI, I was a bogey golfer, playing to 16 - 18 HI range, mostly from easy to score courses.   It has been like Bilbo's "there and back again" experience.   Next 5 points down is the real challenge, an uncharted territory.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'm in for 25%.  That would bring me down to a 12, which is where I feel is a realistic HC to maintain given my current work/life/golf balance I'm under.

I'm currently taking Evolvr lessons with a complete focus on the driver.  When I look at my last 10 rounds, off the tee costs me the most strokes per round.

My putting performance is 1.89 per hole, so that is solid enough for now.

The second area that costs me strokes is 50 - 75 yard pitch shots, hopefully the new Ben Hogan wedges I just got will solve that issue.

You have the swing do do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I had one month of having 12 HI, and it took 1.5 years to go to 23 HI after that.  Before 12 HI, I was a bogey golfer, playing to 16 - 18 HI range, mostly from easy to score courses.   It has been like Bilbo's "there and back again" experience.   Next 5 points down is the real challenge, uncharted territory.

Yeah, I kind of feel like that with my OTT swing. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Here's what I am working on.

• I have been practicing knowdown shots to combat windy condition at my home course.   I must stay, it is more accurate directionally than my full swing.   Distance control is a bit harder.  Sometimes the ball rolls quite a bit, at other times, it's one hop and a stop.    I need to use the shot carefully.  A few shot has gone past green to no men's land.
  • Fine tuning 50 - 80 pitching, trying to get it within 10 feet of pin.
  • Re-focusing on bunker shots.  Neglected it to improve on other aspects of golf and it regressed.
  • Keeping my left wrist flat - another regression after this year's swing change.  Keeping my right elbow close to my body on down swing.   Doing anti-flip drills.
  • Making sure to pray to golf god before each round.   Sacrificing young animal to golf god before each tournament.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I'll join in. Currently 22.5 and holding. I would like to get down to 18 aka bogey golf. Currently working on keeping my right elbow from getting behind me. Main form of work on this is holding a ball between my arms while swinging the club. It has also had a dual benefit of reducing my casting/flipping problem as well. I am focused on this to the exclusion of all else until it becomes a natural part of my swing. Should be receiving my first custom fit irons ever this week, and although I know equipment doesn't necessarily make you play better I'm hoping the added confidence helps a bit.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'm at 28.6 right now. Already shaved a stroke off since the beginning of this season. I haven't been able to consistently play but have been managing 1-2 range sessions a week and been working on suggestions from my MySwing thread. Main keys have been shortening my back swing and keeping my weight forward.

My rounds since last month have been:

49 (9 holes) This includes an 8 on a Par 3 hole (thanks a lot Lob Wedge!)

52 (9 holes)

My trends:

OTT: Started off keeping driver int he bag and hitting 3W but after a few rounds I've gradually put driver back in the bag and am hitting it with very little dispersion 220-240 almost every time. I'm feeling VERY good about this since the tee box was my nemesis last summer. VERY few OOB so far (fingers crossed)

hybrids/irons from fairway: Already hitting more GIR than I'm used to. Advice on my swing thread has been the main reason for this. THanks Guys.

Short Game: Putting has been very good and I rarely practice it. Chipping and Pitching used to be a strength of mine but I have been having more mishits than normal this season. I'm still experimenting with decision making in regards to what kind of shots to hit and which wedges to hit. I feel like it's almost better to have an OK system and stick to it then to flip flop around. Here's the roles each of my wedges play currently:

PW: Full shots from 100-110 and lower running chips, especially from fairway.

GW: Anything from 50-90 yds. This wedge came with my TopFlite set. It doesn't have the feel of my cleveland wedges but I have WAY less mis hits.

SW: All pitches 50 and in and shorter chips from the rough

LW: To get out of bunkers and to get over bunkers/trees. I've had some great rounds when this club was on, but I'm inconsistent with it and it also has caused some NIGHTMARE holes. I'll continue to work on it at the range but take the safer shot if it presents itself.

I've put most of my range time into the short game and have been seeing progress. Hopefully I can take it to the course. Am playing 9 after work tomorrow and then hope to start getting 2 18 holes rounds in a week during the summer. I personally made a goal of getting below 25 this summer but I'll go the extra mile and push for a 23.6. Let's do it!

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Really interesting reading what you guys are working on. For myself I've only been logging1 range session a week and surprise surprise my progress is slow. I do work on swings at home though as well. Last night at the range I felt I had a breakthrough and the ideas in my lessons came together and made sense. I have been a club shorter all year than normal and last night I was really hitting some great shots. Smooth 7 iron rolling out to 190 a few times! More importantly was the accuracy, I was dead online. Someone here mentioned ernie els using the same effort in his driver swing as his pw and thathelped a bunch. Going out for 18 totonight and hopefully I can take it to the course. James

SW: All pitches 50 and in and shorter chips from the rough

LW: To get out of bunkers and to get over bunkers/trees. I've had some great rounds when this club was on, but I'm inconsistent with it and it also has caused some NIGHTMARE holes.

Hi, PJCdued.   SW typically has more bounce to hit it out of sand easier.   Using LW, depending on your LW's bounce & course sand condition, may not be the best choice.

In jest with a hint of seriousness, if you have 28 HI, you can immediately shave 1 point off of you HI by taking LW out of your bag.  You can add it later when you get better with golf.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Hi, PJCdued.   SW typically has more bounce to hit it out of sand easier.   Using LW, depending on your LW's bounce & course sand condition, may not be the best choice.   In jest with a hint of seriousness, if you have 28 HI, you can immediately shave 1 point off of you HI by taking LW out of your bag.  You can add it later when you get better with golf.

I hear ya but both of them have 8 degrees of bounce. I used to have a SW with 12 and skulled the crap out of it since I have a pretty shallow swing. The LW is only 58 degrees so it's not too crazy high lofted. I agree that I shouldn't pull it unless nessecary but I hit it way better out of sand than I do my 54

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

In jest with a hint of seriousness, if you have 28 HI, you can immediately shave 1 point off of you HI by taking LW out of your bag.  You can add it later when you get better with golf.

I know you said in jest... but, I consider my LW to be the best club in my bag when I consider strokes saved and I use it more than any club other than my putter (I miss a lot of greens but you knew that by looking at my HI).

My SW, it's too hard for me to control the distance in the 20 to 50 yard range.  Those distances put me somewhere less that what feels like a 1/4 swing to me.  The LW gives me much more consistent distance control in that range.

50 to 80 yards, those are the distances where I feel I have better control with my SW.

Note: This thread is 3023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!