IGNORED

Lead tape on putter

Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you want the swingweight to be?

Adding length increased the swingweight, adding 1/2" adds about 3 swingweight points.

So to reduce the swingweight, p lace the lead tape into the shaft at the grip end or add lead tape just below the grip. How much tape depends on what swingweight you want the putter to be. 1 swingweight point is 2 grams, so that's 4 1/2" of standard tape.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcnation View Post

its a putter and the guy that extended it said it would take weight away from the head and put more weight in the grip.  Seems counter intuitive to add more weight to grip now.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/information-swingweight-golf-clubs-2500.html

Quote:

Club Length Adjustments

Golfers can adjust the swingweight of their golf club by changing the length of the club. Adjusting the length of a golf club affects the weight relationship of the club head end and grip end of the golf club. By increasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be increased by three swingweight points (increase from D2 to D5, for example). Conversely, by decreasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be decreased by three swingweight points.

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcnation View Post

its a putter and the guy that extended it said it would take weight away from the head and put more weight in the grip.  Seems counter intuitive to add more weight to grip now.

http://golftips.golfsmith.com/information-swingweight-golf-clubs-2500.html

Quote:

Club Length Adjustments

Golfers can adjust the swingweight of their golf club by changing the length of the club. Adjusting the length of a golf club affects the weight relationship of the club head end and grip end of the golf club. By increasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be increased by three swingweight points (increase from D2 to D5, for example). Conversely, by decreasing the length of the golf shaft by one-half inch, the swingweight will be decreased by three swingweight points.

Doesn't it depend on the type of shaft? I just took 1.5" inches off my graphite driver shaft (grip end) and I was concerned about changing the club weight. But that 1.5" piece I cut weighed basically nothing. It could blow away in a strong breeze. I can't see adding weight to the grip end to compensate.

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

• Administrator

Doesn't it depend on the type of shaft? I just took 1.5" inches off my graphite driver shaft (grip end) and I was concerned about changing the club weight. But that 1.5" piece I cut weighed basically nothing. It could blow away in a strong breeze. I can't see adding weight to the grip end to compensate.

The clubhead still weighs a bit, right?

And now that clubhead is 1.5 inches closer to the fulcrum (14" from the butt end of the club). Your swing weight changed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The clubhead still weighs a bit, right?

And now that clubhead is 1.5 inches closer to the fulcrum (14" from the butt end of the club). Your swing weight changed.

Oh I see, it's about club balance not actual weight. Thanks. My driver longs at the bottom of a lake anyway. Here's the confusing thing: this a new shaft which i just matched the length exactly to the manufacturer's shaft. However, had I chosen to cut it to a shorter length at that time i wouldn't be concerned about swing weight would i? So why bother now? Or am i wrong on that? Nothing i read about reshafting mentioned this.

- adam -

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

Oh I see, it's about club balance not actual weight. Thanks. My driver longs at the bottom of a lake anyway. Here's the confusing thing: this a new shaft which i just matched the length exactly to the manufacturer's shaft. However, had I chosen to cut it to a shorter length at that time i wouldn't be concerned about swing weight would i? So why bother now? Or am i wrong on that? Nothing i read about reshafting mentioned this.

Cutting or lengthening a shaft will change the swingweight. Whether you should be concerned or not is kinda up to you. Do you want it close to a specific swingweight?

Mike McLoughlin

I honestly don't think it'll change my driving issues but would like it match the rest of my set.

- adam -

Note: This thread is 3101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!