IGNORED

How to Draw the Golf Ball (or How to Stop Slicing)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

59 minutes ago, pl3cky said:

Hi guys!
I've tried implementing some of the above discussed tips but still struggling with hitting a straight slice / push slice. attached a video, comments and criticism welcome, all i can think is maybe it's club face related?

Feel free to start a thread here.

http://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@pl3cky, I posted in your swing thread.

Mike McLoughlin

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/08/2015 at 8:34 AM, united said:

I have only started golfing recently and do not know much. What I do know is that since I started I had the most egregious slice on my driver. Today when I went to the range I changed one thing and everything clicked. This thread is full of so much comprehensive information. I was slicing the ball a good 40-50 yards right every single time I hit it. I couldn't figure out how to explain it but the description on the first page about revving downward on a motorcycle handle is EXACTLY it.

I would hold my driver like normal. I'm a right handed golfer so the left/top hand was essentially cupped around the club. The handle laid in the top part of my palm, just below the start of the fingers. My knuckles were facing the ground. By rotating my hand so that my wrist was not laying comfortably along the path of my arm and cupping the handle of the club, and making it so my knuckles were facing outward toward the target (the revving of the motorcycle), I was able to hit everything straight and with a slight draw.

I know very little about the technicalities of the golf swing. All I know is that as someone who was slicing the ball 40-50 yards right every single time that this tiny little change was immediately effective. It feels strange and a little uncomfortable at first. But once you get used to it the results are amazing.

Just rotate that top/left wrist out toward the target with the knuckles facing out. It's incredible the difference I've seen.

I've enjoyed this thread. As usual, very informative. I couldn't help notice however that this post seems to have slipped through without comment.

If I understand you correctly @united your initial grip seems to have been an incredibly "weak" one (too much in the palm and not at the base of your fingers. I think this would have greatly contributed to your horrendous slice. There is a thread on the correct way to grip a club. If you haven't already addressed this issue that would be a good place to start.

The other thing I noticed is that you may have misinterpreted the "revving of the motorcycle" feel. I'm certain that was in reference to the right hand (for the right-handed golfer) and not the left hand as you have described. I interpreted it as palmar dorsiflexion of the right wrist (revving the motorcycle) would result in the palmar flexion of the left (this was the goal at A6). I might be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me if this is so.

Having said that the mistake seems to have sent you in the right direction in correcting your weak grip. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

In reality the shoulders will be more open than what he thinks they are but I thought the demonstration was nice.

Tom Lehman reveals his secret to success—"hitting the ball facing the ball"—during lunch after the Grand Opening of the Trilogy at Ocala Preserve revolutionary new golf course designed by he and Tripp Davis. Reminded me of watching golf on TV growing up and my Dad, his brothers and my older brother LP would get the golf club out of the corner and demonstrate a few swing tips... miraculously never hitting anyone or anything in our house! Here in this video John Duval, 2015 World Amateur Team USA member listens intently while golf real estate insider Scott Kauffman nods appreciatively at the end realizing this could be the swing tip to get his name on his bag like John! (-:

Posted by

Andy Reistetter

on Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Mike McLoughlin

One of the things I find that works for  intentional slice is grip tight in my fingers and tap the sole of the club against the ground a few times to reinforce the tight feeling grip pressure in my lead hand and    Aim target from behind the ball rather than beside the ball . Very obvious outside the target line takeaway . Hinge my wrist right away and and unhinge consciously from out to in.  Get me a low slice. Sometime it's useful in odd condition if behind some trees

• 2 weeks later...
On September 12, 2014 at 0:15 PM, mvmac said:

Just have the path further to the right of the face....The End ;-)

I wanted to put this thread together to help players that have never hit a draw or players that want to reduce the amount they slice/fade it.

You may have noticed that I talk a lot about Keys 1-3, they are every important, especially when it comes to hitting the ball solid and drawing it. If you're wondering what the heck I mean by Keys, please check this out

I can't find the link to where you explain keys 1-3. I'm I blind?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, ppine said:

Or for the lay man, try a stronger grip or a slight left center swing, a little more outside in.

No, the opposite - you don't want to swing outside in to hit a draw. That's how you hit pulls and cuts.

6 minutes ago, Rille said:

Read about them here:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, Rille said:

Here ya go

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 2986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!