IGNORED

Is my swing too upright?

Apollo
Note: This thread is 3079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As in, too "ferris-wheel" and not enough "merry-go-round".

I play off about an 18 handicap, and struggle with misses to the right off the tee... usually a fade or block, if I try to swing really hard then it's a push-fade. If the stars align, then the ball goes like a rocket and I get about 280-90 yards. My irons are a lot more consistent, but still the occasional block. A playing partner (not a coach or pro) told me my swing looks too upright and I should try flatten it for better consistency. Would you agree?

Watching the video I realise I stand up at the top of my backswing, but that's probably due to lifting my left heel, which I didn't realise I do. Is this likely a contributing factor?

Thanks in advance!

Looks like you start your backswing without body rotation (arms only), then shoulder turn occurs, followed by lower body. Yes you do straighten spine angle very upright during swing. When transition at the top occurs, you raise up (right leg straightens, spine lifts upright) then the swing plane becomes very upright.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

No. Your swing is not too upright.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm a 15 handicap, so take this with a grain of salt, but my swing was very similar to yours. I think the reason you stand up in the back swing is that your arms are pulling you out of your posture. I would concentrate on turning back with your body while keeping your arms in front of you. I would look at your video right around the 6 second mark, that should be the top of your swing (your shoulder turn is done).

17 hours ago, Apollo said:

As in, too "ferris-wheel" and not enough "merry-go-round".

Not too upright, the left arm is just above the shoulder plane.

56501560a2b29_ScreenShot2015-11-20at10.5

I think this would be a good thread for you to look at.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac has you covered. Work on a better turn to eliminate the standing up and you'll be much more consistent. I used to stand up at around A3.5 and then again coming into impact. Terrible way to hit a golf ball! I tried a lot of stuff to fix it but didn't make any real changes until I focused on the correct priority piece, which while seemingly unrelated, cleaned up that standing up fault automatically. I won't tell you the piece because yours is likely different but the moral of the story is listen to @mvmac ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

I think this would be a good thread for you to look at.

I've been working on this in front of a mirror today and am excited to put it to the test. Initially, it FELT like my weight was actually shifting to the left side on backswing, but in the mirror it's a nice centred turn. The alignment stick against the hip drill is particularly effective.

Thanks!!

30 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

@mvmac has you covered. Work on a better turn to eliminate the standing up and you'll be much more consistent. I used to stand up at around A3.5 and then again coming into impact. Terrible way to hit a golf ball! I tried a lot of stuff to fix it but didn't make any real changes until I focused on the correct priority piece, which while seemingly unrelated, cleaned up that standing up fault automatically. I won't tell you the piece because yours is likely different but the moral of the story is listen to @mvmac ;-)

It seems he does! ;) Practising a centred turn in front of the mirror and my standing up is gone. Nice.

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

Initially, it FELT like my weight was actually shifting to the left side on backswing, but in the mirror it's a nice centred turn. The alignment stick against the hip drill is particularly effective.

Yeah the weight/pressure will still shift to the right side. Overall the pivot will be more dynamic, keep up the good work with the mirror practice.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 3079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!