IGNORED

Steel vs Graphite generic question

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm curious if anyone has information on this:

If one plays lightweight steel in their irons and wanted to switch to Graphite should one get one Flex stronger? Simple question

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you play liteweight steel - 80-95g and want Aerotech Steelfiber or UST Recoils -- No.

Be careful with Steelfibers in R flexes and above, as  according to most they play stiff to flex.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Not necessarily!!!! I follow your logic, but we must remember flexes arnt an exact science. One manufacturers reg flex is anothers stiff. I kept regular flex when I made the switch years ago. Went back to steel only cus my current set isnt offerred in graphite. Most important thing is to try and demo the graphite your looking at. Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

If one plays lightweight steel in their irons and wanted to switch to Graphite should one get one Flex stronger? Simple question

I'd stay with the same flex, unless you find your swing speed fits into another category. You would only go stiffer with the shaft if you wanted to keep trajectory down but then you may as well stick with a light weight steel at the appropriate flex. People switching to graphite would look to benefit from a difference in feel, speed and trajectory.

images.thumb.png.57f4362bcc4c4d027c011bb

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

So @mvmac this is an on topic question, to an extent, I swing my 7-iron around 85 mph, my spin is around 6300, and my launch is 25°, is it a shaft issue I only carry my 7-iron 150? I think my launch angle is too high. Which could be a kick point issue in the shaft?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

So @mvmac this is an on topic question, to an extent, I swing my 7-iron around 85 mph, my spin is around 6300, and my launch is 25°, is it a shaft issue I only carry my 7-iron 150? I think my launch angle is too high. Which could be a kick point issue in the shaft?

25° is on the high side, for your speed you probably want to see that closer to 18° or 19°. But double check on that because while I have some knowledgeable I'm not an expert :-)

The shaft may be contributing a small part to it but the main culprit is probably a Key #3 issue.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

(edited)
2 hours ago, mvmac said:

25° is on the high side, for your speed you probably want to see that closer to 18° or 19°. But double check on that because while I have some knowledgeable I'm not an expert :-)

The shaft may be contributing a small part to it but the main culprit is probably a Key #3 issue.

Spin is OK though? I could be flipping a little but I may need work on Key #3 to get that launch down to where it needs to be... Because I SHOULD be carrying my 7-iron 160-165 with that speed. 

Maybe the motor is fine (the shaft), just need to work on in-line impact more...

Edited by onthehunt526
Forgot the on topic point.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Spin is OK though? I could be flipping a little but I may need work on Key #3 to get that launch down to where it needs to be... Because I SHOULD be carrying my 7-iron 160-165 with that speed. 

Maybe the motor is fine (the shaft), just need to work on in-line impact more...

Flex in steel and graphite are the same. Steel tends to whip more at the transition and impact. If anything going to a lighter graphite shaft might require a less stiff shaft?

Keeping your lead wrist flat or bowed (Palmer flexion) can help with Key 3, but follow Mike's suggestion to look at key 3.

Btw, 85mph 7i SS should only get about 155-160 carry, where did you hear it should be 160-165? This is for near perfect ball striking too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Flex in steel and graphite are the same. Steel tends to whip more at the transition and impact. If anything going to a lighter graphite shaft might require a less stiff shaft?

Keeping your lead wrist flat or bowed (Palmer flexion) can help with Key 3, but follow Mike's suggestion to look at key 3.

Btw, 85mph 7i SS should only get about 155-160 carry, where did you hear it should be 160-165? This is for near perfect ball striking too.

That might be total the 160-165, the fact I get 150 with 25° launch angle is pretty good, I figured it because if I can get my launch angle down, it will go a little further but 155-160 sounds about right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

13 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Spin is OK though?

Yes the spin is fine IMO.

Mike McLoughlin

I think @Lihu and @mvmac hit the point on the head, it seems to be a key #3 issue...

Back on topic: I don't think it is all that, but mostly it is. It seems like a lower launch shaft (steel or Graphite) would knock a degree or two off of the launch angle.. But the other 4 degrees or so is up to me. So I'm probably just going to stick with steel, but maybe get something with a lower launch, then work on Key #3 for a bit.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

2 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think @Lihu and @mvmac hit the point on the head, it seems to be a key #3 issue...

Back on topic: I don't think it is all that, but mostly it is. It seems like a lower launch shaft (steel or Graphite) would knock a degree or two off of the launch angle.. But the other 4 degrees or so is up to me. So I'm probably just going to stick with steel, but maybe get something with a lower launch, then work on Key #3 for a bit.

S300 is one of the lowest launching steel shafts.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

S300 is one of the lowest launching steel shafts.

Lihu,

I still hit them high, I was messing around with my S400s in my Ancient V-Blades, I hit five 7-iron shots to compare it to the lighter steel, the launch was still around 22.5°, the distance was marginally MORE (2 yards or so on carry),spin a little up...

For the rest of the group Mike, Erik, and Club Rat, etc.

What about lighter than standard (105g vs 130g) but not super-light steel, do they typically launch lower than the Super-light steel shafts? How do heavier Graphite shafts compare (90-95 grams)?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Lihu,

I still hit them high, I was messing around with my S400s in my Ancient V-Blades, I hit five 7-iron shots to compare it to the lighter steel, the launch was still around 22.5°, the distance was marginally MORE (2 yards or so on carry),spin a little up...

Nice! I think your swing speed with 7i is probably higher than 85mph. S400 is generally for people who have higher swing speeds.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

What about lighter than standard (105g vs 130g) but not super-light steel, do they typically launch lower than the Super-light steel shafts? How do heavier Graphite shafts compare (90-95 grams)?

Yes they launch lower than 90-95 gram shafts but it's not much lower IMO. Graphite shafts are most likely going to launch high or medium-high. The shaft contribution is 5%, maybe 10%,, like I said the main culprit is your impact alignments. The fact that the S300s still launch high says a lot.

I was in a similar position a couple years ago, I couldn't even take a divot with a short iron and I hit everything super high. Mid-summer '15 I started consistently taking divots (better Key #3) and now my ball flight is more appropriate and my distance is better.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!