IGNORED

Time to upgrade but ball but oh man!?

Note: This thread is 2976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Tried every two piece and several three piece balls. Cant keep my longer approaches ( which is the majority of them) on the green. 8-w it stays on but rolls away from its landing spot. Anything longer it rolls off and into bunkers or water which is killing my scores. I prefer soft feel, Im on a budget, and I struggle with low ball flight. As long as the ball has high trajectory its not an issue. Urethane holds greens but i seem to have trouble launching them high enough to get good distance. Unless yall have some other ideas, Im gonna buy tf gamer tours as theyre cheapest, and work my way up the price ladder til Im happy or hit 35 a dozen. Im gonna miss my two piece for trajectory and feel but Im more interested in lower scores, so here goes nothin!

The Gamer Tour is a good choice - I played it for almost a full season and as a 17 HCP it was straight off the tee and held greens well.  I was lured away by Maxfli U/3 (now discontinued) which was longer and better on the greens - the U/3 would have been my recommendation.  If you do not like the urethene Gamer Tour you may want to consider the Gamer Soft which is IMO best ball in it class.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My green holding improved quite a bit after I was advised to use 3 piece or better balls. I don't struggle with low ball flight though and i suspect that would be a bigger issue than the ball.

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

A simpler suggestion might well be to take your set and go to a big store with simulators and try out the various golf balls and then figure out your launch angle with clubs and pick a ball accordingly.  You do need a good pro there to guide you, but even if you do need to pay a bit for that, it is worth it.  You get the ball without having to experiment with a dozen balls of each before finally lucking onto your ball

Wow!!! Mind blown!! Didnt know they offer such a thing. If the gamer tours dont do the trick, Ill def see if I can find a place thatll do that! Sweet idea! Thanks

6 hours ago, RussUK said:

Do you guys in the States get the AD333 Tour? Its a decent 3 piece. sort of between the AD333 (still in production in the UK) and the Z star. 

Its very good by all accounts

Dont we wish! That thing is hot stuff overseas feom what I hear but here in the states, we get the reg ad333. Known as the q-star. Its not a bad ball but I havnt played one in years. It got some kind of spin skin coating that was supposed to beef up the brakes but Im a bit of a skeptic esp when it comes to srixon.

I have a golfing friend who has a 3 HC so I asked him which balls does he prefer to use and which ones have helped him improve his game. I was surprise when he answered me by saying; "It really doesn't matter to me, I can score just as well with almost any ball."

As for myself I have noticed that the TopFlite Gamers seem to work out pretty nicely for me. I wait for them to go on sale for $30 for 2 doz.

5 minutes ago, 9wood said:

I have a golfing friend who has a 3 HC so I asked him which balls does he prefer to use and which ones have helped him improve his game. I was surprise when he answered me by saying; "It really doesn't matter to me, I can score just as well with almost any ball."

As for myself I have noticed that the TopFlite Gamers seem to work out pretty nicely for me. I wait for them to go on sale for $30 for 2 doz.

I used to think it was all non sense. But every time Ive switched balls Ive lowered my handicap. Problem seems to be that I keep outgrowing them. Call me crazy but Ive always loved pinnacle golds. Something about hitting those made me fall in love with golf. I got a little nostalgic when I returned to the game two years ago and bought a box. Ball rolled off every single green on the front nine. Dropped a nike pd soft and didnt roll off any more greens the rest of that day. Ive heard really good players say that sort of thing before. Ive also noticed that players that say that never seem to play the courses I do. They also seem to be from states where it rains, like florida and nw washington state or they play fancy courses with the luxury of lots of watering greens.  

Its funny how we all play the same game, then we get to tst, and it sometimes seems as if we were all playing a different game altogether. Man! I love this place!

2 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

I used to think it was all non sense. But every time Ive switched balls Ive lowered my handicap. Problem seems to be that I keep outgrowing them. Call me crazy but Ive always loved pinnacle golds. Something about hitting those made me fall in love with golf. I got a little nostalgic when I returned to the game two years ago and bought a box. Ball rolled off every single green on the front nine. Dropped a nike pd soft and didnt roll off any more greens the rest of that day. Ive heard really good players say that sort of thing before. Ive also noticed that players that say that never seem to play the courses I do. They also seem to be from states where it rains, like florida and nw washington state or they play fancy courses with the luxury of lots of watering greens.  

Its funny how we all play the same game, then we get to tst, and it sometimes seems as if we were all playing a different game altogether. Man! I love this place!

I have played the Pinnacle golds and the Nike PD's but for me the TopFlite Gamers perform better and all three of those balls are priced about the same. Another ball that is lower cost are the Noodle, and they aren't all that bad either. i also like the Srixon Q and Z Star balls but they usually cost more and I get just as good if not better results using the TopFlite Gamers

Callaway Hex Control is a 3 pc ball that seems to hold well and gives good distance. Have gotten them at a good price in 2 dozen packs from a couple of different locations.

2 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Callaway Hex Control is a 3 pc ball that seems to hold well and gives good distance. Have gotten them at a good price in 2 dozen packs from a couple of different locations.

Where does one find these?

I like those Pinnacle Golds for tee shots in a scramble, They seem to work well as a distance ball for me but they feel very firm  and don't stop that well when I hit them to a green.

1 minute ago, SteveH said:

I like those Pinnacle Golds for tee shots in a scramble, They seem to work well as a distance ball for me but they feel very firm  and don't stop that well when I hit them to a green.

Indeed! To this day still love them...UNTILL i have to hit them into a green. Which happens every hole so gave up on those eons ago. 

7 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

Where does one find these?

I have gotten then in Canada at Golf Town and at Costco

Lol! Of course u did. Since I live in the states, I bet that really is the right ball for me cus that would mean it exists but I cant get to it. Story of my life. 

You'll eventually want to plat a urethane ball.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

8 hours ago, vangator said:

You'll eventually want to plat a urethane ball.

Yeppers, I think this is where Im at now. Just gonna have to adjust to slightly less distance and a slightly lower trajectory, and a firmer feeling golf ball. Too many things suggest I need to be playing a urethane golf ball. 

4 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Yeppers, I think this is where Im at now. Just gonna have to adjust to slightly less distance and a slightly lower trajectory, and a firmer feeling golf ball. Too many things suggest I need to be playing a urethane golf ball. 

I doubt you'll notice the distance difference.  I high end urethane ball will still move it out.  Since a urethane ball will spin more on irons, The ball will tend to go higher if anything.  And as far as firmer, urethane balls are allover the spectrum now.  It used to be either 90, 100, 110 compression in the old days.  Now it's generally different.  You won't find a Surlyn ball on tour.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

19 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Lol! Of course u did. Since I live in the states, I bet that really is the right ball for me cus that would mean it exists but I cant get to it. Story of my life. 

I think Costco has them on their site for US. Dicks Sporting Goods seems to have whatever is at Golf Town. The Hex Chrome is another one that feels very similar, to me anyway. I use lots of different ones as I have a huge assortment but if I am away and need to buy some I will look for a 3 piece Callaway as I am starting to like them more.

Edited by SteveH

On February 12, 2016 at 8:53 AM, RussUK said:

Do you guys in the States get the AD333 Tour? Its a decent 3 piece. sort of between the AD333 (still in production in the UK) and the Z star. 

Its very good by all accounts

I used to play the AD333, and I really liked it. Unfortunately I don't think it's available here in the US any more (either regular or tour), so I only have about a dozen left.

Next up is the Snell Get Sum. I bought a mixed trial box of Snells in the fall, preferred the Get Sum, and received 6 dozen for Christmas.

Note: This thread is 2976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!