or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Zach Johnson Ball Position
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zach Johnson Ball Position

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I've noticed that Zach Johnson seems to tee his ball at the toe of his driver. Does anybody else out there do this or know why he does? I guess it could work if you constantly hit the ball towards the heel when you teed it up in the middle of the club but I would think a tour pro would be able to make the slight swing change to fix that.
post #2 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Originally Posted by microcrayfish View Post
I've noticed that Zach Johnson seems to tee his ball at the toe of his driver. Does anybody else out there do this or know why he does? I guess it could work if you constantly hit the ball towards the heel when you teed it up in the middle of the club but I would think a tour pro would be able to make the slight swing change to fix that.
Helps him swing out through the ball to hit his usual draw. Usually drawers will do that. Faders, if they address the ball somewhere other than the center, will tend to do it off the heel a little.
post #3 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

I read somewhere to do this since the arms extend more out towards the ball at the downswing. This could maybe be useful for trying to help me get rid of those slices with the driver.
post #4 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Helps him swing out through the ball to hit his usual draw. Usually drawers will do that. Faders, if they address the ball somewhere other than the center, will tend to do it off the heel a little.
exactly. I draw the ball and to promote my draw, i line my driver up with about an inch between the toe and the ball. Swing out and turn the club over.
post #5 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
I read somewhere to do this since the arms extend more out towards the ball at the downswing. This could maybe be useful for trying to help me get rid of those slices with the driver.
I am doing that.
When I tee up at the sweetspot of the driver, I consistently hit the drive at the heel of the clubface.
post #6 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Ive been doing this since the day i picked up a golf club....im glad somebody on tour does it so now my pro can STFU lol.. Are there any pictures of this set up?

Im a former baseball player, so it helps me get that mental image of "going out to get the ball" I dont know if that makes any sense, but it works for me.
post #7 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Originally Posted by JGulkCG View Post
exactly. I draw the ball and to promote my draw, i line my driver up with about an inch between the toe and the ball. Swing out and turn the club over.
Ditto. - When I want to draw a drive.
post #8 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

Originally Posted by iacas View Post
Helps him swing out through the ball to hit his usual draw. Usually drawers will do that. Faders, if they address the ball somewhere other than the center, will tend to do it off the heel a little.
Exactly. I like a draw and tend to set up this way when it's not quite working as I'd like.
post #9 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

I tried to position the ball about 1/2 inch outside the toe my driver and it seem to work. The way I hit it is like a baseball player striking the ball with the arms fully extended and the shaft and my arm forming a straight line. Is there any problem hitting ball like this?

I was told by a pro that you lose power since the wrist is in a fully uncock position upon impact with the ball.
post #10 of 11

Re: Zach Johnson Ball Position

I align mine on the heal of my clubs. Once in a while I still hit a toe shot.
post #11 of 11
I tend to hit off the heel in my irons and lately been lining up off the heel and hit 90 now out the sweet spot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Zach Johnson Ball Position