or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am looking to change the shaft in my driver. I currently play a 9.5* 909D3 with the stock Titleist Diamana Blue 65g Stiff flex. It lists on the titleist website that this driver has a torque of 4.4*. My launch angle is 14* with a spin rate of 3000rpm. My ss for the driver is between 119-121 (launch monitor numbers). According to the launch monitor I carry the ball ~289-290 with a final distance of ~300. However my miss is a very big hook. I wouldn't even call it so much a miss but it happens when I feel that I hit the ball solid. I have to actively try and hold the face open to keep the hook to a slight to moderate draw. I would ultimately like to bring my ball flight down and eliminate that hook. If I hold the club open, i would like a fade instead of a baby draw. Which is the way to do this in terms of getting a shaft that has a lower torque, an x-stiff shaft, or a heavier shaft.
Thanks
post #2 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

my opinion (without seeing you swing)

you need a shaft w smaller torque numbers - somewhere in the low to mid 2's)
the low torque number will stiffen the tip, which will help stiffen the shaft slightly as well
Diamana shafts tend to be weaker than most in their ratings (from personal experience)

I had similar launch angle numbers and the same shaft in my 907D2 (ss is 105-109 avge.) - my ball would balloon to the moon
i went through a few shafts to get it right......i THINK i have it now

depending how you load the shaft, u may benefit from a an X flex, or a stiffer, heavier, low torqued out shaft - like a V2
or maybe an 80 series Diamana in X flex?
post #3 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

I feel your pain with having to hold off the clubface to fight off the pured shot that ends up hooking. Indeed your shaft is the problem.

I am not sure but from the sounds of it your swing is coming at a pretty steep angle of attack (high swing plan). I agree with everything enis750 said.

In addition to what he said: To keep the ball down, I would look into shafts that have a low kick point. For you it seems you have a pretty high launch angle so the lower the better. As for the shaft weight I honestly think that is personal preference.

I hope that helps.
post #4 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
I am looking to change the shaft in my driver. I currently play a 9.5* 909D3 with the stock Titleist Diamana Blue 65g Stiff flex. It lists on the titleist website that this driver has a torque of 4.4*. My launch angle is 14* with a spin rate of 3000rpm. My ss for the driver is between 119-121 (launch monitor numbers). According to the launch monitor I carry the ball ~289-290 with a final distance of ~300. However my miss is a very big hook. I wouldn't even call it so much a miss but it happens when I feel that I hit the ball solid. I have to actively try and hold the face open to keep the hook to a slight to moderate draw. I would ultimately like to bring my ball flight down and eliminate that hook. If I hold the club open, i would like a fade instead of a baby draw. Which is the way to do this in terms of getting a shaft that has a lower torque, an x-stiff shaft, or a heavier shaft.
Thanks
If you're swinging at 119-121 you need at least an X flex. Look at some shafts that offer lower ball flights and lower spiin to try and get your spin rate down to around 2500-2600. There are lots of variables to try; a heavier shaft usually produces less spin, an stiffer flex will as well, and where the kickpoint is on the shaft makes a huge difference.

The stock Diamana is a noodle so at your swing speed it's probably nearly impossible to control. Just for starters I'd look at the whiteboard, oban devotion, proforce V2, prolaunch red or the axivcore green or red. Those shafts should get some of that spin down and get you a more desired trajectory. Plus going to an X flex will give you more control.
post #5 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

I agree with a stiffer and heavier shaft. But as far as the torque.....lower torque should help the club face stay closed. I had a problem with high power fades and was hitting a shat with a 3.5 torque. Went to Diamana Whiteboard which I think is 2.9 and problem solved. My swingspeed is a little faster than yours but not much....125-130.
post #6 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by TetsuJin View Post
I feel your pain with having to hold off the clubface to fight off the pured shot that ends up hooking. Indeed your shaft is the problem.

I am not sure but from the sounds of it your swing is coming at a pretty steep angle of attack (high swing plan). I agree with everything enis750 said.

In addition to what he said: To keep the ball down, I would look into shafts that have a low kick point. For you it seems you have a pretty high launch angle so the lower the better. As for the shaft weight I honestly think that is personal preference.

I hope that helps.
I think you mean "high kick point". A low kick point shaft helps get the ball up.

I had the same shaft in my 907D2, and some of the same issues, though my swing is not as fast as the OP (I'm 105-110). I put in a very affordable Grafalloy Prolite 68 gram Xstiff, with a high kick point and stiff tip, and my problems were solved. As has been mentioned, a stiffer, heavier, lower torque shaft like the proforce V2 would also help.
post #7 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

What shafts are you currently playing in your other clubs? Is this just a driver issue or does it run through the entire bag?
post #8 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by max power View Post
I think you mean "high kick point". A low kick point shaft helps get the ball up.

I had the same shaft in my 907D2, and some of the same issues, though my swing is not as fast as the OP (I'm 105-110). I put in a very affordable Grafalloy Prolite 68 gram Xstiff, with a high kick point and stiff tip, and my problems were solved. As has been mentioned, a stiffer, heavier, lower torque shaft like the proforce V2 would also help.
I was just about to correct him, thanks max!

to the OP - a lot of great shaft advice in here dude and from some great golfers w low indexes
My Diamana Kai'li shows up today and I put it in a B'Stone J33r head
I fight the steep angle of attack as well and hit high bombs

Went w a stiffer shaft (X) and low torque hoping to achieve some good results
The WhiteBoard was on my short list of shafts, but the price I got for the Kai'li i couldnt resist
the J33r head and the Kai'li and super low spinning, so it should be a wicked combo

All great shafts reccomended as well: Personally, I tried the V2 and hated it - felt so boardy to me
I would LOVE to try an OBAN.....

check on ebay or the marketplace for used one time pulls - they are half price and in wicked shape
if you want the name of a great website to buy used shafts as well, PM me, as i dont want to advertise for another place on here (against the rules i think ?)
i got my Kai'li for $150USD shipped.....they retail for like $350 new
post #9 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
I am looking to change the shaft in my driver. I currently play a 9.5* 909D3 with the stock Titleist Diamana Blue 65g Stiff flex. It lists on the titleist website that this driver has a torque of 4.4*. My launch angle is 14* with a spin rate of 3000rpm. My ss for the driver is between 119-121 (launch monitor numbers). According to the launch monitor I carry the ball ~289-290 with a final distance of ~300. However my miss is a very big hook. I wouldn't even call it so much a miss but it happens when I feel that I hit the ball solid. I have to actively try and hold the face open to keep the hook to a slight to moderate draw. I would ultimately like to bring my ball flight down and eliminate that hook. If I hold the club open, i would like a fade instead of a baby draw. Which is the way to do this in terms of getting a shaft that has a lower torque, an x-stiff shaft, or a heavier shaft.
Thanks
I am in the same boat as you. I have a titleist 907 D2 with the exact same shaft that you have and with the same swing specifications. I would suggest a heavier shaft that is stiff with low torque ...2.5-3. I personally just purchase the UST Proforce Tour Green shaft... that is 75G, S and has 2.6 torque with a medium flight. I think a shaft like this is what you are looking for.

Here is the link...

http://www.ustmamiya.com/shaft_model...ct.aspx?id=106

Good luck.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by leezer99 View Post
What shafts are you currently playing in your other clubs? Is this just a driver issue or does it run through the entire bag?
I currently play s300 in my irons which i have the same problem with hooks, but it is more controllable than my driver. I play the same titleist diamana blue in my 3 wood and 17* hybrid. I seem to have the hooking problem with both of the clubs, but again it is not as drastic when compared to my driver.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. It seems like the proforce V2 is a common trend. I will post a video of my swing, because i know that a lot of picking a shaft is seeing the actual swing. If I were to get the V2, X-flex would be appropriate?
post #11 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. It seems like the proforce V2 is a common trend. I will post a video of my swing, because i know that a lot of picking a shaft is seeing the actual swing. If I were to get the V2, X-flex would be appropriate?
u might be able to get away w a stiff tipped slightly
that shaft is SUPER stiff because of the low torque numbers on it
IMO there are better shafts out there - but its all personal preference

I too was playing the DG S300 - then went to PJX 5.5's and now PJX 6.0.....the 6.0's are the shiz
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Well, I took a chance today and ordered a whiteboard 83x from wrx. Hope this works out. I will post after I get the shaft with the results.
post #13 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
Well, I took a chance today and ordered a whiteboard 83x from wrx. Hope this works out. I will post after I get the shaft with the results.
GREAT choice dude
report back after you get it installed!

my Kai'li X goes in today, test er out tomorrow
post #14 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
I currently play s300 in my irons which i have the same problem with hooks, but it is more controllable than my driver. I play the same titleist diamana blue in my 3 wood and 17* hybrid. I seem to have the hooking problem with both of the clubs, but again it is not as drastic when compared to my driver.
I agree with all advise been given, but when I read you are hitting hooks with all your clubs, it might very well be that you are just simply using toooo thin grips !!!
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

OK, now i have a dilemma. I just bought the whiteboard 83X, but now I have an opportunity to purchase a RIP 70X. Should I stick with the whiteboard in my driver, or put the RIP in my driver and the whiteboard in my 3w?
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I agree with all advise been given, but when I read you are hitting hooks with all your clubs, it might very well be that you are just simply using toooo thin grips !!!
Well it just so happens that the whiteboard shaft that I bought comes with a midsize grip. I will try it and post about how it goes.
post #17 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

Originally Posted by chaptowngolfteam View Post
OK, now i have a dilemma. I just bought the whiteboard 83X, but now I have an opportunity to purchase a RIP 70X. Should I stick with the whiteboard in my driver, or put the RIP in my driver and the whiteboard in my 3w?
if that WB plays anything like the Kai'li i just put in, u should like it
dude......the flight I have now is amazing!
the ball comes off the face straight out and up, instead of up and out
its snowing here again, so i only hit in indoors, but man, I can already tell that this will be a bomber - AND I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IN THE WIND AGAIN!! hahah!

and the J33r head is so wicked its not even funny.....

cant wait to hit it outside tomorrow.......if it doesnt rain or SNOW!!!!
post #18 of 19

Re: Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight

With that SS you should be using an X-flex and heavier shaft. The pro at my local course uses a 907 7.5° with the Aldila 65g-S shaft, I use a 9.5° with the UST 77g-S and 2.2° of torque. I used his driver one round and I was hitting the ball much more higher than my driver. I think a shaft with more weight and less torque (4. something to 2. somethin) will give you more benefits.

Regards!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Low Torque vs. X-Stiff vs. Shaft Weight