or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › The Official "When Will Mike Weir Make A Cut?" Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official "When Will Mike Weir Make A Cut?" Thread

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Poor guy, almost could have called it the "When Will Mike Weir Break Par?" thread.  Weirsy did however break par, (once), 11 WEEKS AGO at Pebble Beach.  Please tell me this isn't a Duval/ Ian Baker-Finch situation....he looked pretty bad last year too.

post #2 of 13

Based on what I've read and heard about his injury problem he might be lucky to get back to David Duval status. The guy has been saying for months his elbow is feeling better and his game is improving yet his scores don't show it. I'd be more worried he ends up like Michael Campbell which ironically I thought I saw he was playing decent this week.

post #3 of 13

When he's stacking again! c5_banana.gif

post #4 of 13

His stats are terrible.  I wish him well, but he really dropped off when switching teachers.

 

Driving Distance 268.6 192nd    
Driving Accuracy Percentage 42.80% 193rd    
Greens in Regulation Percentage 51.17% 193rd    
Putting Average 1.806 139th    
Birdie Average 2.47 192nd    
Scoring Average 75.07 193rd    
Sand Save Percentage 65.12% 7th    
Total Driving 385 193rd  
All-Around Ranking 1,282 190th  
FedExCup Regular Season Points 1 242nd    
Money Leaders $10,788 234th    
Par Breakers 13.74% 192nd    
Putts Per Round 29.11 82nd    
GIR Pct. - Fairway Bunker 33.3% 167th    
 

 

post #5 of 13



No, he really didn't. Of all the guys in the S&T before and after charts, Mike Weir should be left out of the discussion. They didn't get his game anywhere near where it was from 2002-2005. Weir may have needed the change of direction that S&T provided, but in the end it was just delaying the inevitable. By the time he went that route, his career was over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uttexas View Post

His stats are terrible.  I wish him well, but he really dropped off when switching teachers.

 

Driving Distance 268.6 192nd    
Driving Accuracy Percentage 42.80% 193rd    
Greens in Regulation Percentage 51.17% 193rd    
Putting Average 1.806 139th    
Birdie Average 2.47 192nd    
Scoring Average 75.07 193rd    
Sand Save Percentage 65.12% 7th    
Total Driving 385 193rd  
All-Around Ranking 1,282 190th  
FedExCup Regular Season Points 1 242nd    
Money Leaders $10,788 234th    
Par Breakers 13.74% 192nd    
Putts Per Round 29.11 82nd    
GIR Pct. - Fairway Bunker 33.3% 167th    
 

 



 

post #6 of 13


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post



No, he really didn't. Of all the guys in the S&T before and after charts, Mike Weir should be left out of the discussion. They didn't get his game anywhere near where it was from 2002-2005. Weir may have needed the change of direction that S&T provided, but in the end it was just delaying the inevitable. By the time he went that route, his career was over.



 


 

its weird to me how someone like mike weir who was among the best in the world for years can just loose that talent.

post #7 of 13

Mike Weir key stats last five years

Mike Weir
PGA TOUR Events Played Finish FedExCup
Cuts Made 1st 2nd 3rd Top 10 Top 25 Scoring Avg. OWGR Money Points Standing
Career Totals 339 244 8 9 8 68 138 -- -- $26,809,162 -- --
2011 8 1 -- -- -- -- -- 75.42 293 $10,788 1 242nd
2010 19 11 -- -- -- 1 2 71.77 177 $559,092 360 128th
2009 24 20 -- 1 1 6 12 70.42 36 $2,379,422 968 26th
2008 26 20 -- 2 -- 8 13 70.68 21 $3,020,135 6,026 43rd
2007 23 20 1 -- -- 4 9 71.16 35 $1,986,053 3,556 90th

 

     

 

 


Edited by uttexas - 4/23/11 at 2:03pm
post #8 of 13

He spent 110 weeks in the OWGR top 10 from 2001 to 2005. He did seem to have a resurgence with A&P, but like a lot of players with "new" coaches, he plateaued and lost interest. The injury bug might have hit before or after the split, but it didn't help. When going back only as far as 2007, it does appear he was more successfull with S&T, but there's no way to prove he made a mistake, that he wouldn't have been struggling with S&T as well. There are a few guys doing quite will now with it, but Dean Wilson and Charlie Wi aren't exactly burning up the OWGR either these days.

 

Weirsy played to his potential for a handful of seasons - more than most players ever do. Now he seems to be done until he gets healthy, which isn't likely to happen while he's still slogging away trying to make cuts..

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by uttexas View Post

Mike Weir key stats last five years

Mike Weir
PGA TOUR Events Played Finish FedExCup
Cuts Made 1st 2nd 3rd Top 10 Top 25 Scoring Avg. OWGR Money Points Standing
Career Totals 339 244 8 9 8 68 138 -- -- $26,809,162 -- --
2011 8 1 -- -- -- -- -- 75.42 293 $10,788 1 242nd
2010 19 11 -- -- -- 1 2 71.77 177 $559,092 360 128th
2009 24 20 -- 1 1 6 12 70.42 36 $2,379,422 968 26th
2008 26 20 -- 2 -- 8 13 70.68 21 $3,020,135 6,026 43rd
2007 23 20 1 -- -- 4 9 71.16 35 $1,986,053 3,556 90th

 

     

 

 



 

post #9 of 13

Lots of guys with injury problems never make it back, especially if, like Weir, they lack the distance necessary to easily birdie the par 5's. The rest of their game has to be spot on. As late as 2010, he had an OK, but not great year, but 2011 is really tough. Hope he can get back to his usual self, but you never know.

post #10 of 13

Swing patterns matters less to pros. If they are on the PGA Tour, they got a good swing. S&T might work for some, others not. Even with a good swing they will vary in performance and still need a world class shortgame and putting to compete in the top. Only Tiger Woods has shown inhuman abilities over the last 15 years. A small change in impact angle can make a huge difference. On top of everything else you got the mental part.

 

I don't know specifically what Weir is struggling with, but I do hope he re-gains form soon.

post #11 of 13

I am a Mike Weir fan but his game has disappeared, some of that could certainly be attributed to his nagging injuries. His stats are brutal as noted above, really I cannot foresee him ever returning to the form he had previously.

post #12 of 13

I hope he can make a comeback. He's a Canadian golfer whom I admire, and he's a lefty! :)

post #13 of 13

It's 100% related to his injury problems and not him changing coaches. He was one of the best golfers in the world for a long time and a swing change might set him back a little but not to the lows he has reached. I wish the guy luck but a nagging injury can easily end a great career.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › The Official "When Will Mike Weir Make A Cut?" Thread