or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AimPoint Success

post #1 of 33
Thread Starter 

So yesterday I took off of work to go play golf with a former co-worker who retired.  I have been playing golf for less than a year and he has been playing for 30 years.  I recently took an Aimpoint class with Mike Dynda from around Reading and I've only been able to practice it twice.

 

Anyway, yesterday we decide to play at Eagles Crossing in Carlisle PA.  It had rained all night making the greens waterlogged but it was 50 degrees.  The rain actually helped me because I was able to determine after 2 minutes that the stimp was 8.

 

I don't know how many of you have done the midpoint reading technique but that is actually the only way I do it now.  Using this technique I was able to get the break perfect on 17 of 18 holes often times "out reading" my former co-worker who I would consider a really good reader of putts!  On two occassions he read the break the exact opposite of what I determined it to be and I was right!

 

I am so excited about this it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong I did not make many one putts but my issue was all speed  and I only left myself with very short second putts.  It just amazes me how easy it is. 

 

I now know that I need to get my speeds right because at least 8 of my putts would have dropped were the speed right! 

 

I would ask you guys though one thing.  I got a chart book but everyone keeps talking about a student workbook?  Where do I go about getting one of those?

post #2 of 33

Was thinking about taking one of his classes over at BlueBell. Sounds like it was worth it.

post #3 of 33
I have played with a guy who had gone to the Aimpoint green reading courses. I believe they received a course manual? But I know for sure he received a small green reading book - similar to a yardage book that you can carry around in your pocket, and use it as a reference during the round.

He was using it on every green and taking way too much time to hit his putts! a5_crying.gif
post #4 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

I would ask you guys though one thing.  I got a chart book but everyone keeps talking about a student workbook?  Where do I go about getting one of those?


There's no longer a student workbook. Hasn't been one for eight months or so.

post #5 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

He was using it on every green and taking way too much time to hit his putts! a5_crying.gif


It can be used in a manner that doesn't take much time at all.  Of course its always relative; if you're comparing it to someone who stands behind their ball for 3 seconds, picks a line, and hits, then yes, its slower.*  If you're comparing it to someone who goes to the other side of the whole to make his read, then aimpoint is going to be faster.

 

Like anything else, it comes down to the monkey holding the club.  I guess where the zero line is as I walk up to mark my ball.  Walk to find the zero while someone else putts (not in a circle around the hole, just where i think the zero is).  By the time its my turn I've already got in my head "60 down, 10 feet, 3% break" and I simply peek at the book for the number.  Place the ball and hit.

 

 

*Unless that guy leaves himself a 3 footer and the aimpoint guy sinks his.  Then who is slower?

 

post #6 of 33
Thread Starter 

You weren't taught how to do the mid read?  If you go to your ball and straddle it then look at the hole.  Use your feet to tell you which way the slant is then walk half way to the hole and putting the the chart book square against your stomach then turn to find where your feet are even.  Once you find that then put your putter on the chart you think it is and point one end to the hole then one end to the ball and where that lines up at is your angle and your amount of break.

 

This way is WAY easier that "walking" the circle.

post #7 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

You weren't taught how to do the mid read?  If you go to your ball and straddle it then look at the hole.


The mid point read is only a few months old. All the instructors were just trained and re-certified in it. All of our students are eligible to retake any class for free, so a few have learned the new (improved) method. If you've taken AimPoint in the past, see if you too are eligible to "audit" the class free.

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post




It can be used in a manner that doesn't take much time at all.  Of course its always relative; if you're comparing it to someone who stands behind their ball for 3 seconds, picks a line, and hits, then yes, its slower.*  If you're comparing it to someone who goes to the other side of the whole to make his read, then aimpoint is going to be faster.

 

Like anything else, it comes down to the monkey holding the club.  I guess where the zero line is as I walk up to mark my ball.  Walk to find the zero while someone else putts (not in a circle around the hole, just where i think the zero is).  By the time its my turn I've already got in my head "60 down, 10 feet, 3% break" and I simply peek at the book for the number.  Place the ball and hit.

 

 

*Unless that guy leaves himself a 3 footer and the aimpoint guy sinks his.  Then who is slower?

 


Couple of things...

1.) He kept trying to find 'straight' which I assume your reference to zero is?
2.) The course we were playing has some gnarly greens... Multiple breaks with lots of slope
3.) He wasn't sure about the slope many times so he would keep debating his slope number(s)

It was definitely slowing the pace of play.
post #9 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

It was definitely slowing the pace of play.


He needs to practice it so that he can get faster. At first you're slower simply because the process isn't automated. It's unusual. It's new. You end up doing things more deliberately and confusing yourself.

 

But literally 30-60 minutes of practice later and it's twice as fast as "the normal way to read greens." People ask me all the time why I don't read my putts. Half of my read is done before I get to the ball, and the other half takes ten seconds when I get there. Twenty tops for a double-breaker that's quite long and 30, tops, for the most "gnarly" read (though often for those I'll employ a trick and read those in about five to ten seconds).

 

We stress to people doing a little practice. It's just the routine. If you learn a new, faster way to tie your shoes, the first few dozen times you do it you might be slower because you're thinking about the process. Then it becomes natural.

 

post #10 of 33
Thread Starter 

I am so glad I took the class now as opposed to two months ago because the mid point seemed SO MUCH EASIER than doing it the old way.  I tried to look at the hole and walk the green for the inflection and so forth it just was not happening for me.  When he showed me the mid read it was like a lightbulb went off. 

 

I can definately see how the old way would take a while.  To be honest normally I can't wait for warm weather because I want to go out and hit drives but now I just want to go read greens and sink putts!

post #11 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

I can definately see how the old way would take a while.  To be honest normally I can't wait for warm weather because I want to go out and hit drives but now I just want to go read greens and sink putts!


The old way doesn't really take any longer. And in some cases it's faster because you don't have to worry so much about your line.

post #12 of 33

Very interesting. I took the class earlier in 2011 and it was the best thing I've done... I've had a few rounds in the 76-77 range where I couldn't buy a fairway or GIR. I attribute it to Aimpoint. I've noticed with Aimpoint my bad rounds are much better than they were in the past.

 

I haven't been on the Aimpoint message board lately, but I'm going to check it out and see if I can audit the course with my old instructor.

post #13 of 33

I really hope a course comes available around Atlanta sometime soon. This stuff really fascinates me.

post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 


He needs to practice it so that he can get faster. At first you're slower simply because the process isn't automated. It's unusual. It's new. You end up doing things more deliberately and confusing yourself.

 

But literally 30-60 minutes of practice later and it's twice as fast as "the normal way to read greens." People ask me all the time why I don't read my putts. Half of my read is done before I get to the ball, and the other half takes ten seconds when I get there. Twenty tops for a double-breaker that's quite long and 30, tops, for the most "gnarly" read (though often for those I'll employ a trick and read those in about five to ten seconds).

 

We stress to people doing a little practice. It's just the routine. If you learn a new, faster way to tie your shoes, the first few dozen times you do it you might be slower because you're thinking about the process. Then it becomes natural.

 


First let me say this... I'm fascinated that there is a scientific method to reading greens, and I'm interested in going to an Aimpoint school in the future.  It's intriguing to hear that there is a modified approach to reading greens from Aimpoint.  I didn't know that.

 

Going back to this particular experience of slow play... I just think that this particular player was exceptionally slow at going through the steps/methods he learned from Aimpoint.  But I will also add that I don't know the guy, and it was the first time I had played with him.  He was a decent player, but just plain old slow on the greens.  Maybe it was his first time using Aimpoint on the course?  I don't know... I do know he wasn't familiar with the course we were playing as he mentioned that during the round and I pointed out a few things on the course to watch out for.

 

I would think Aimpoint would be a great method to read greens for someone that plays the same course over and over.  Because then they would know the slope/green speeds and be able to predict the read based on the Aimpoint methods much quicker than someone who is unfamiliar with the greens.  All those private club members should be jumping on it IMO, because it does seem accurate on basic putts < 20ft.

post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post

You weren't taught how to do the mid read?  If you go to your ball and straddle it then look at the hole.


The mid point read is only a few months old. All the instructors were just trained and re-certified in it. All of our students are eligible to retake any class for free, so a few have learned the new (improved) method. If you've taken AimPoint in the past, see if you too are eligible to "audit" the class free.


Interesting. Do you know if this auditing is also available over this side of the pond or am I best to contact the guy who did the last one?

post #16 of 33

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I would think Aimpoint would be a great method to read greens for someone that plays the same course over and over.  Because then they would know the slope/green speeds and be able to predict the read based on the Aimpoint methods much quicker than someone who is unfamiliar with the greens.  All those private club members should be jumping on it IMO, because it does seem accurate on basic putts < 20ft.


I actually think it's most beneficial on courses you've never played before or don't play often. Those are the ones where getting the right read (the traditional way) can be a struggle. I know how every putt breaks at my home course as a kid simply from playing it really often.

 

To be clear, AimPoint still helps on familiar courses. I just think it helps more on the courses that are pretty new to you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon View Post

Interesting. Do you know if this auditing is also available over this side of the pond or am I best to contact the guy who did the last one?


I don't know. It's kind of an instructor-specific thing. You can't audit a class we're giving if you took it from someone else. We just allow our students to audit. It was suggested to us by Mark Sweeney or someone else during our training. We allow it on a space available basis. But it's instructor specific so far as I know. Ask the instructor from whom you took the class. Maybe he'll just show you what changed in 10 minutes or so.

post #17 of 33
Thread Starter 

I definately agree with Erik on this one.  Seriously,  on greens you have never seen if you try to "read" the green like I was....everything you look at could throw you off.  If you just use your feet there is nothing to throw you off.  I will say that I guess alot on the slopes but so far my guessing has been spot on.  The only issue I have is getting the speeds right.  For me it's damn near impossible to try to put the ball 8 inches past the hole.  So tough.  I bought a really good indoor green that should be here this week so hopefully practicing on that will help me out some.

post #18 of 33

I was on the fence before, but this thread has convinced me to take an Aimpoint class.  In fact I believe Erik and Golf Evolution are the closest instructors as well.  Only 3.5-4 hours drive from my home in Ontario.  Once spring rolls around I'll definitely be booking into a class.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips