or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Forged Callaway irons - Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Forged Callaway irons - Question

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 

Hello all. I'm looking for the experience and views of others on this.

 

I'm a 6 handicap. I currently play Callaway X Hot irons with the stock True Temper Speed Step 85 shaft, regular flex, bent to 2 degrees flat. I have a relatively slow swing speed, about 80mph. I hit my 4 iron 175 yards, my 5 iron 165 yards, my 6 iron 155 yards, etc.

 

I also own a set of Miura Passing Point PP-9003 irons (4-GW). These were my first set of forged irons. The feeling when hitting them is like butter; each strike is sweet and pure. However, they are a good tens yards shorter on each club, when compared to my game improvement, cast X Hot irons.

 

And so at last, the question - I'd like people's informed views on the Callaway X Forged irons. Has anyone played them? Has anyone compared them to the X Hots? Are they forgiving? While I presume that they also have that pure feel, given that they are forged, do you notice any distance loss, as they are not true game improvement clubs.

 

The point behind all of this is that I'm thinking of getting another set of clubs for use at my vacation home. I'd like the feel of forged, but I'm not that good a player and I therefore want the extra distance and some of the forgiveness that the game improvement clubs provide. And I prefer the Callaway brand.

 

My course does not have a demo set of the Callaway X Forged, and hitting them into the net at a Golfsmith doesn't really help me much. And so in lieu of taking a set out for a few practice rounds, i'm hoping to learn from all of you what your experience has been.

 

Looking forward to the usual informed and helpful suggestions, advice, and guidance from you all.

 

Many thanks in advance.

post #2 of 49

This has been covered many times, but you seem to have been given misinformation. I am accused of jumping on this point too often, but it's true.

The manufacturing process has no bearing on a club's feel. The only real benefit of forged clubs is that they can be bent more easily than cast clubs.

You are not feeling anything "pure" due to the forging process. There is no such thing as forged "feel".

Given that your distances are extremely short, you would certainly benefit from a proper fitting, not advice from strangers.

You may find taht you pick up some distance with some irons you've never considerd, but your swing would most probably be the issue.

 

 

If you are using Miura PP irons, why are you asking for forgiveness in an iron?

 

And....not trying to be rude here, but you also seem to be a little confused about the handicap system.

 

The following information does not add up.

 

I'm a 6 handicap.

I hit my 4 iron 175 yards, my 5 iron 165 yards, my 6 iron 155 yards, etc.

I'd like the feel of forged, but I'm not that good a player and I therefore want the extra distance and some of the forgiveness that the game improvement clubs provide. 

post #3 of 49

I always equate it to sound. Casted irons are bit more clanky in sound, especially on mishits. They also tend to have higher MOI, though forged irons can at well, but its hard to get forged to be MOI because of the extensive design of a cavity back. Why even for Mizuno, there cavity backs tend to be less game improvement than others.

 

I also find that forged irons sound different from toe and heel shots. So i still equate forged as giving you more feedback on your shots, which means more to me. Also forged irons tend to come with better shafts, because they are more player irons. So for better players there a better option.

 

I think that player irons tend to go a bit farther, and fly a bit lower, but once again you can fit that. You can go with a high launch iron and get a low launch shaft and get different dynamics.

post #4 of 49
Thread Starter 

Thanks Saevel25 for your comments. This is the sort of insight that I am looking for.

 

(And fwiw, I'm not particularly interested in Shorty's views on forging - I respect his right to voice them of course, and he's naturally entitled to his opinions - however I know what i feel when I strike a forged club, as do many others. The feeling is different and I'm entitled to that view as well. As for his rude comments - i have a USGA and an RCGA handicap index and they are both sitting at 6.4 as I typically shoot in the mid-high 70s and very low 80s. Shorty does not seem impressed by this given the distances that I hit my irons. Again, he's entitled to his views but they don't interest me. This thread is not designed to be a discussion about the merits of forging, as there are plenty of threads already devoted to that. I'm simply trying to get comments about a particular type of iron as I try to make up my mind about purchasing)

 

So, to be clear, I am looking for informed and insightful comments from people who either own or have experience playing the Callaway X Forged irons as I'm looking for information before I purchase them.

 

Thanks again.

post #5 of 49
Are you talking about the current X Forgeds? That particular model has varied widely over the years in terms of forgiveness. It's a bit more forgiving today than it used to me. Either way, it's going to be less forgiving than the X Hots.


Forged vs. Cast OT Stuff (Click to show)
Also, use the search box and look up some of the threads on forging. That discussion has been had and doesn't necessarily need to be rehashed here, but all scientific testing has shown that there is no difference in feel between the same clubhead that is forged vs. cast, i.e. the metal shaping process makes no difference. Forged and cast clubs do tend to be made from different metals and formed into different shapes, and that can have an effect on feel.
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMgolfer View Post

(And fwiw, I'm not particularly interested in Shorty's views on forging - 

I don't have any "views" on forging.

The fact of the matter is that people like yourself are thinking about club design and confusing it with a manufacturing process.

But there is no point trying to discuss anything with people who blindly perpetuate myths and untruths.

You can be as patronising and disingenuous as you like, but it's nothing to with my "opinion". It's a scientific fact.

And with respect, e2_whistling.gif, the distances you claim would mean that you would struggle to hit more than a couple, of par 4s in regulation on a proper course. Or a medium length one for that matter.

So......I would be sticking with the GI irons, trying as many as I could and forgetting about the forged "feel" BS that pervades golf forums.

And...your Miuras do not go 10 yards less than others when they are hit properly.

Happy to bow out now. Some people seek advice, but don't want to change their views.

post #7 of 49

At a May demo day, I hit the Callaway X.Hot, X.Hot Pro, and new X.Forged. The Callaway test irons had a variety of shafts, including the PX.95, the PXi, and regular PX.

 

I was able to hit the X.Hot and the X.Hot Pro, especially with the lighter PX.95 in 5.0 and 5.5.

 

I've tried to hit earlier models of X.Forged, and I had trouble getting the ball up, and leaving it right. With the latest X.Forged, I had a pleasant surprise. In irons with the PX.95 5.0 and 5.5, and the PXi 5.0, and a light graphite. I was able to hit some good, high shots - as far as the X.Hot brothers. The lightweight shafts really made a difference.

 

That said, if I got new Callaways, I would probably get a cast club from the X.Hot side. I play on some fairly hard turf, and I'd worry about knocking the forged irons out of alignment.

post #8 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

I've tried to hit earlier models of X.Forged, and I had trouble getting the ball up, and leaving it right. With the latest X.Forged, I had a pleasant surprise. In irons with the PX.95 5.0 and 5.5, and the PXi 5.0, and a light graphite. I was able to hit some good, high shots - as far as the X.Hot brothers. The lightweight shafts really made a difference.

I think that was a fairly commonplace occurrence with some of the older X-Forged. They could be very tough to hit.
post #9 of 49
I just got the 07 x forged irons with the px 6.0 and I found them to be fairly easy to hit and did not lose much distance from my older GI clubs. As far as the x hots I liked the feel and didn't like the sound they had. I think a lot of our feel is based on sound. But at the same time when you hit a forged club clean there is no better sound or feel so shorty I think a far as feel its in the eye of the beholder and cause your having the same problem you stated as not being able to change your views your scientific bs is not what he was asking. Have you played either club and what do ya think not your science degree off a lucky charms box.
post #10 of 49
Thread Starter 

Thanks very much Spam for your comments. I appreciate your take on those irons. That's the sort of experience that I'm hoping to get and learn from; that is, from real people who have played these clubs and are willing to share their real-world experiences. And so I'm grateful that you would contribute. This sort of information is invaluable and will help me make my mind up.

 

As for Shorty, well, as i said, i don't much care or heed what he says/thinks/writes. It's the interweb - haters gonna hate and sit in their underwear in front of the computer and type all sorts of drivel and crap as if they are experts. Whatever.

 

Bottom line is that the learned reviews on the golf equipment websites by true equipment experts all speak to the feel and especially feedback of these X Forged irons, stemming from the softer materials used in their construction. That along with the views of those people in the field such as yourself who have played them provide me with truly useful opinions.

 

Thanks again!

post #11 of 49
If you not stuck on just callaway I would also suggest mizuno I liked the sets I tried out but just could not find a set in my price range. I ended up getting my callys for 100 bucks off eBay. It was a unheard of deal so I pulled the trigger in hopes they were as good of shape as it said in the post. And lucky me they were. Good luck and hope it all works for you. Also I did not scroll back up to see if I had posted that I did not see a real difference in yardage going to my x forged. Also I heard the newer pxi shafts are the cream. I liked the KBS line too
post #12 of 49
If you were a little farther north I would say you could game my sticks for a round to test them out but shipping them for a demo would have them away to long lol
post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMgolfer View Post

 

As for Shorty, well, as i said, i don't much care or heed what he says/thinks/writes. It's the interweb - haters gonna hate and sit in their underwear in front of the computer and type all sorts of drivel and crap as if they are experts. Whatever.

 

Listen mate - 

I've played the old ones.

I've played the 2011 (razr x) ones and the 2013 ones.

They are not easy to hit (the 2013s are the best) but it depends on the shafts.

People tend to play too stiff a shaft and many of them have the project X 5.5 which is stiffer than they think.

 

My gripe with you is that you are trotting out a myth as if it were fact.

This has nothing to do with "opinions".

Hitting a soft golf ball with a forged club does not feel "soft".

Better clubs tend to have more feedback becuase they are better clubs.

Yes, they are often forged.

The feel comes from the design, not the process.

 

http://sem-proceedings.com/16i/sem.org-IMAC-XVI-16th-Int-165305-The-Comparison-Forged-Heads-Cast-Heads-Golf-Clubs-..pdf

 

Your passive aggressive stance doesn't help you.

If forged clubs "felt soft and smooth like butter", there wouldn't be a good player on the planet who didn't use them.

 

The "softest" clubs I ever played were Mizuno MP60. The fact they were forged had nothing to do with their feel.

post #14 of 49
Ok so there is a study but again feel is in the eye of the beholder. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Science is ok for some people to stand on. I my self have played cast and now am playing forged and I like the feel of the club better. I don't believe that makes me wrong. I have played cast my whole life and have found that I like forged better due to the feel I get whether real or perceived. But again this is not a argument on the fact of feel. Thank you shorty for the study you found it was good reading. And also thank you for finally posting your thoughts on the clubs.
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by spam View Post

Ok so there is a study but again feel is in the eye of the beholder. Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Science is ok for some people to stand on. I my self have played cast and now am playing forged and I like the feel of the club better. I don't believe that makes me wrong. I have played cast my whole life and have found that I like forged better due to the feel I get whether real or perceived. But again this is not a argument on the fact of feel. Thank you shorty for the study you found it was good reading. And also thank you for finally posting your thoughts on the clubs.
Youre not getting it. He is not saying that forged clubs can't feel softer than cast. He's saying they can't feel softer than cast BECAUSE they are forged. The ones you like, whichever they are, are designed differently than the cast ones you don't like and that is the reason for the difference. It would be like me test driving a black BMW and a white Yugo and then coming to the conclusion that black cars run smoother than white cars.
post #16 of 49
After reading the study he posted I did understand his stance. But at the same time it was still sounding to me that his stance was still that a forged club does not have a better feel which his posting of the study supported. With that said I was pointing out that the feel is in the eye of the beholder or in better words perceived by the player. My argument may be trivial at best. I can see both sides. I have played cast clubs I liked a bunch and swore I would never take out of my bag but I found forged to feel better off the sweet spot. I do understand his point and was well taken.
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


Youre not getting it. He is not saying that forged clubs can't feel softer than cast. He's saying they can't feel softer than cast BECAUSE they are forged. The ones you like, whichever they are, are designed differently than the cast ones you don't like and that is the reason for the difference. It would be like me test driving a black BMW and a white Yugo and then coming to the conclusion that black cars run smoother than white cars.


Id agree with that.  Look at Vokeys, theyre cast but feel just as soft as anything else out there.  Softness comes from carbon steel, not from the forging process.  Honestly, Ive played quite a few forged clubs that had a rathar firm feel and didnt feel all that soft and Ive tried some cast irons (Ping S56s) that felt very soft.

Forged doesnt always mean softer and if you are shopping for new irons, whether or not its forged should be one of your lowest priorities.  I do personally believe that forged clubs feel different than cast but youre doing yourself a disservice if you write an iron off simply because its cast.

post #18 of 49
For sure try all and go with what you like. I would agree they may not be softer but that was not my argument. I prefer the feel I get I think that my clubs I'm playing now feel better then the cast I have played in the past. But I think all in all we are way of subject. This is a argument that can go on and on with no resolution lol I will agree to disagree on the matter of feel. It's like a ford and chevy argument. I appreciate the study shorty found and posted it was crazy to see how perception a science are so far apart.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Forged Callaway irons - Question