or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Trump to buy Doonbeg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trump to buy Doonbeg

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

After getting itself into financial trouble, Doonbeg Golf Club (one of the most highly regarded links courses in Ireland and possibly the World) is looking for a buyer. 

 

Donald Trump has come a knocking. 

 

Article Here: 

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/us-property-mogul-donald-trump-in-running-to-buy-doonbeg-golf-club-for-15m-29998897.html

post #2 of 26

Please God, no.

post #3 of 26

There goes the neighborhood.  :-D

 

Seriously though, is the only issue that bothers people about Trump that they think he won't fight the wind farms?  He's an arrogant ass, but he loves golf, is well capitalized, and is willing to spend money like water to create/maintain a world class anything. 

 

Other than the fairly significant personality flaw, none of that is a bad thing, is it?

post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

There goes the neighborhood.  :-D

 

Seriously though, is the only issue that bothers people about Trump that they think he won't fight the wind farms?  He's an arrogant ass, but he loves golf, is well capitalized, and is willing to spend money like water to create/maintain a world class anything. 

 

Other than the fairly significant personality flaw, none of that is a bad thing, is it?

 

Nope.

 

He'll spruce the place all up, probably build a world class hotel then slap his name on it and fill it with deep pocketed tourists.  Given the uncertainty of other alternatives which of course includes turning the links back over to the sheep, I don't think it sounds bad. 

post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

There goes the neighborhood.  :-D

 

Seriously though, is the only issue that bothers people about Trump that they think he won't fight the wind farms?  He's an arrogant ass, but he loves golf, is well capitalized, and is willing to spend money like water to create/maintain a world class anything. 

 

Other than the fairly significant personality flaw, none of that is a bad thing, is it?

He loves golf, when it's done his way. 

 

There was a great documentary on BBC (don't think you guys can watch it unless you have some kinda of IP workaround) here 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nln7g

 

More info here

http://www.youvebeentrumped.com/youvebeentrumped.com/ABOUT_THE_FILM.html

 

Lets just say he has bought an environmentally sensitive area of land in Scotland and that's where the sensitivity ends. 

You can see sand dunes being destroyed etc by bulldosers at stages during the film. 

 

But enough worrying about Scotland :-D

We have less to worry about over here as the course is already built. 

And to be brutally honest, Doonbeg was never embraced by the locals/Irish as it was very much seen as a course that was set up for the 5 star/foreign golfing market. It was built with you guys in mind more so than us. .

 

That said, I can't see him being warmly welcomed...especially not by the Snails :bugout: 

 

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/1201/business/even-the-snails-are-impressed-with-glorious-doonbeg-49287.html

post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post
 

He loves golf, when it's done his way.

 

There was a great documentary on BBC (don't think you guys can watch it unless you have some kinda of IP workaround) here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nln7g

 

More info here

http://www.youvebeentrumped.com/youvebeentrumped.com/ABOUT_THE_FILM.html

 

Lets just say he has bought an environmentally sensitive area of land in Scotland and that's where the sensitivity ends.

You can see sand dunes being destroyed etc by bulldosers at stages during the film.

 

But enough worrying about Scotland :-D

We have less to worry about over here as the course is already built.

I can't see him being welcomed by all though....especially not by the Snails :bugout:

 

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/1201/business/even-the-snails-are-impressed-with-glorious-doonbeg-49287.html

 

Would it be better if the course were to close due to the aforementioned "financial troubles"?

post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

 

Would it be better if the course were to close due to the aforementioned "financial troubles"?

Not at all.... 

 

Is Trump the only show in town... Hopefully not, at €15 million it hopefully will attract others. 

post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
 

 

Nope.

 

He'll spruce the place all up, probably build a world class hotel then slap his name on it and fill it with deep pocketed tourists.  Given the uncertainty of other alternatives which of course includes turning the links back over to the sheep, I don't think it sounds bad. 

It has already got a 5 Star hotel so hopefully he doesn't feel the need for another. 

 

http://www.doonbeglodge.com/

 

I would prefer if it wasn't Trump, but beggers can't be choosers and all that I suppose. 

post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Well, he doesn't hang around, Trump has bought Doonbeg. It is Doonbeg no more and will be known as Trump International Golf Links Ireland (catchy)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/us-property-mogul-donald-trump-thrilled-to-buy-doonbeg-golf-club-29998897.html
post #10 of 26

In total there were 12 interested parties considering a purchase of Doonbeg - according to the receivers anyway. It was never going to disappear, not when the infrastructure was already there and a world acclaimed golf course and hotel are still trading.

 

It's no surprise that Trump snatched it up so quickly and for a rock-bottom price. If he hadn't got there somebody else would.

 

As others have pointed out, he has the resources and flamboyance to take Doonbeg (or that oh-so-modest long name that he's now going to call it) to a wider, wealthier audience. It's what he does best. We may not like it, but then not many of us are worth billions, are we!

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulhacker View Post

Well, he doesn't hang around, Trump has bought Doonbeg. It is Doonbeg no more and will be known as Trump International Golf Links Ireland (catchy)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/us-property-mogul-donald-trump-thrilled-to-buy-doonbeg-golf-club-29998897.html

 

 

Hopefully he doesn't do the drama bit, like he did here in so. cali. He went round and round with the city..read law suits. One of the par 3 greens fell into the ocean..Green fees are outrageous, and from what I gather from talking to the guys that work there, they really don't don't give a crap about the course, or it's customers. BTW, I live about 5 mins. from the course, and will never play there.

post #12 of 26
post #13 of 26

Trump, you may not like him, his style, his family, mannerisms or his business ventures, But this man loves golf and seems happy doing it.

post #14 of 26
Would be nice to have these kinds of options. First he builds an unbelievable course in Scotland but gets mad at the government because they are building wind farms in his view. A heated legal battle ensues that he actually loses. Oh well, "I will just buy this great course in Ireland." Nice to be Donald...from a money perspective.
post #15 of 26

The Scottish people would rather have an electricity supply than yet another golf course. One thing Scotland ain't short of is golf courses! Ok Trumps says it's the best in the world with a clear hint that it should be treated differently, but again Scotland has 12-13 courses on most global top-100 lists, and this is a land mass about the size of South Carolina. Four of which have been built in the last decade or so incidentally (including Trump).

 

It's difficult to appeal something on grounds of 'I don't like it' and the greater public good will have primacy ultimately, unless Trump can pull a stunt.

 

In any event, there has always been a relationship between industrial encroachment and golf in Scotland. Indeed the links courses of Ayrshire in particular relied on it. A railway line runs right past Troon, as the same line does the Gailes, Prestwick, Irvine etc Carnoustie also has a railway line adjacent to it, as does Birkdale. Turnberry has a WW2 airfield in the middle of it, as well as a lighthouse which couldn't be described as a natural feature. The Lothian courses count Grangemouth oil refinery and some nuclear power station on their patch

post #16 of 26

Should say too, that he could count himself lucky on one score. I doubt he's going to be under threat from a solar energy farm anytime soon

post #17 of 26
Why didn't he just buy all the wind up?
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

Why didn't he just buy all the wind up?

 

 

His mouth wasn't big enough to hold it all...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Trump to buy Doonbeg