or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Edel Putter or Irons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Edel Putter or Irons

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

So, I'm in the market for both irons and a putter.

 

From everything I've read, I'm sold on getting an Edel putter.

 

This season I'm also looking to get irons, probably either the AP1's, I20's, or I25's.  

 

I currently use a starter set I bought in 2006 that includes the putter.

 

I only started playing golf regularly (as in, more than a round or two a year) last year and am currently taking Evolvr lessons to create a golf swing that will work for me so as to improve my ball striking. 

 

I don't have an unlimited amount to spend on golf and have been saving money and was curious what people's thoughts were on what to get first, fitted irons or an Edel putter.

 

Thanks for the help!

post #2 of 25

I vote for irons.  I just got my Edel and I couldn't be happier, but it was the last item to complete my bag and it's still just a putter.


Edited by Golfingdad - 5/10/14 at 7:53pm
post #3 of 25

I love my Edel putter, and it's truly the putter you'll have for the rest of your life.

 

But I'm also leaning ever so slightly towards irons. Iron technology doesn't change a lot from year to year, really, so you should be able to choose irons you'll use for a few years as well.

 

Then again, rather than spending $900 on a set of irons, how about trying to find a good set of slightly used irons for $400, and spending some of the rest of your cash on a putter… and you might still have some money left over.

post #4 of 25

Just some of my thoughts on the Edel putter since I've had mine now for two years. I'm not necessarily lobbying for either at this point, but maybe this will get you a bit better informed. 

 

 You still have to practice putting unfortunately :-D.... and in my case, I find putting practice to be extremely boring, so I sort of reap what I sow on the greens, if you will. 

 

That said, I was a very poor putter prior to getting the Edel. The fitting process in of itself taught me a lot about how to aim my putter, setup up to the ball, etc. 

 

I have zero interest in getting another putter because I know how important the weight of the Edel is to my distance control. Other putters just don't have the right weight for me... as a result, distance control is erratic as hell with anything else. 

 

Do I have bad days on the greens, even with my Edel? Yes. But I get hot A LOT more often with it. I've gone on streaks with this thing just draining everything (some hyperbole). Of course, I have cold spells as well, so.... yea, those days stink. And since I haven't really practiced at all, I'm in a bit of a cold spell right now. 

 

I've had several putting lessons with James since getting the putter, and the fact that I was fitted using a different setup, grip, and stroke hasn't negatively affected the putter. James has actually gotten me out of slumps with it. So I wouldn't worry about your stroke changing or whatever over time and making the putter useless to you.

 

That said, it costs $420 with an insert... and not everyone walks away a satisfied customer. So I can't guarantee you anything, but I do like mine.... and I haven't bought a new putter since getting this one.

 

I dunno, even when I'm playing badly with it, there's comfort in knowing -- or at least "believing" -- that I have the best possible flat stick in my hands, despite the bad day.

 

Unfortunately, this putter can't read the greens for you :-D, and 50+ foot lag putts are still tricky as hell for me, as they would be anyone who doesn't practice a whole lot. But, I will say... and this may be hard to describe... but when I get within 20 feet or so, I do feel I can make everything, even though I obviously don't. IIRC, I did not feel this way about any other putter I've used prior to the Edel.

 

So in the end, you still need to have a decent grip that doesn't compromise whatever stroke you're trying to make, and you still need to practice, and get better at green reading... but being able to confidently hit the line you want to hit and also having a weight that feels great in your hands is very, very nice to have, and is no question an advantage over others who are using putters that are poorly fit for them, which is most people, because they're just grabbing them off the rack.  

 

As for irons, I'm not sure you need to be truly fitted at this current point in time besides the basics stuff of making sure you aren't using something that's best for Shaquille O'Neal if you're Spud Webb's height, or something obvious like that. Still, if you are unhappy with your irons for whatever reason, you should definitely look into that more deeply. I mean, there are tons of used sets you can get from year's past that are great value, and hitting them at the store should let you know if they're right for you or not. 

 

It's a tough choice.


Edited by JetFan1983 - 5/10/14 at 8:02pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

That said, it costs $420 with an insert... and not everyone walks away a satisfied customer. So I can't guarantee you anything, but I do like mine.... and I haven't bought a new putter since getting this one.

 

Explain that, if you could.

 

It's certainly not been my experience, though I'm the one fitting the people, and I think we do a LOT more to ensure an accurate fit than many other fitters: we check on breaking putts, straight putts, with and without the backdrop, etc.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

I dunno, even when I'm playing badly with it, there's comfort in knowing -- or at least "believing" -- that I have the best possible flat stick in my hands, despite the bad day.

 

I tell some people "it eliminates a variable." You know, basically, that any putting problems you're having are probably not "because of your putter." You know it must be your stroke.

 

That greatly simplifies the troubleshooting process.

post #6 of 25
Very much so. If good putters need to control their distance, hit the putt on the line they intend, and read the putts right. A properly fitted edel putter takes care of two of those with a good putting stroke.
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post
 

That said, it costs $420 with an insert... and not everyone walks away a satisfied customer. So I can't guarantee you anything, but I do like mine.... and I haven't bought a new putter since getting this one.

 

Explain that, if you could.

 

It's certainly not been my experience, though I'm the one fitting the people, and I think we do a LOT more to ensure an accurate fit than many other fitters: we check on breaking putts, straight putts, with and without the backdrop, etc.

 

I remember @MonarchGolf2010 aka Liam Friedman ditching his Edel before going on Big Break. He posted about it when Big Break Greenbrier was in full swing. 

 

Also, and I can't remember which mini-tour acquaintance it was, but there was another good player I've met at the driving range who saw my Edel in the bag and asked me about it. He said he had one too, but switched it out, which surprised me at the time. I can't remember his name, but it was a brief conversation. 

 

So, I guess it might not be 100% satisfaction, but it's pretty damn close, and both those guys were top level players, which means, maybe their issues don't apply to amateurs really. 

 

Sorry, that one point I made was definitely not the takeaway I intended for the reader in that above post :-D. It's a great club. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

I tell some people "it eliminates a variable." You know, basically, that any putting problems you're having are probably not "because of your putter." You know it must be your stroke.

 

That greatly simplifies the troubleshooting process.

 

 

Yes, exactly. Hence, why I'm 100% confident in blaming my lack of practice for whatever putting woes I may be experiencing. I've never hit a bad putt with it and thought "it's the putter's fault." 

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 
So, I'm getting that the general consensus is get the irons first.

Should I be looking for particular brands? I really like the look of the I20 & I25's and like Titleist name which is why I'm consisting the AP1's. Just wonder at my handicap if I should be looking at those.
post #9 of 25

You've gotta get on the green before you can putt. I'd go with the irons.

 

I know the putter will probably help you a fair bit too, but being comfortable with your irons is everything. I'd go through that change first and worry about scoring when you're a little more confident with the new clubs. It probably won't matter but that would be my choice. Getting new irons is a big upheaval of your bag, even if the replacements are similar.

 

Personally, though I'm really not a SGI player and have no trouble launching the ball, I liked the AP1s better than almost anything. I hit the 4 iron with no trouble and was surprised it ended up as one of my top 5 irons.

 

You could consider trying to save on the irons and get both, for example getting a used set or component clubs for around half the price or less compared to retail. Irons tend to last a long time even under heavy use so there's plenty of mileage left. My brother and I went for each of those options and we're both very happy.

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

You've gotta get on the green before you can putt. I'd go with the irons.

I know the putter will probably help you a fair bit too, but being comfortable with your irons is everything. I'd go through that change first and worry about scoring when you're a little more confident with the new clubs. It probably won't matter but that would be my choice. Getting new irons is a big upheaval of your bag, even if the replacements are similar.

Personally, though I'm really not a SGI player and have no trouble launching the ball, I liked the AP1s better than almost anything. I hit the 4 iron with no trouble and was surprised it ended up as one of my top 5 irons.

You could consider trying to save on the irons and get both, for example getting a used set or component clubs for around half the price or less compared to retail. Irons tend to last a long time even under heavy use so there's plenty of mileage left. My brother and I went for each of those options and we're both very happy.

SGI player? What's SGI?
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

SGI player? What's SGI?

 

Super Game Improvement. Refers to a class of clubs, not the player… though typically the higher the handicap, the more they're likely to use an SGI club.

post #12 of 25

Since I play with a putter I bought for $1 at a yard sale that shows where my priorities lie. :-D

 

On the other hand I play with R7 TP irons that are several years old so...

 

Improving either one might save me a stroke or two (but I doubt it).

 

The only sure fire way I could lower my scores more than they are would be to hit the ball more consistently and accurately (and that has little to do with my irons and nothing to do with my putter).

post #13 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Super Game Improvement. Refers to a class of clubs, not the player… though typically the higher the handicap, the more they're likely to use an SGI club.

So, since I'm a high handicapped player, I probably shouldn't limit myself to those three models of irons then, right?
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


So, since I'm a high handicapped player, I probably shouldn't limit myself to those three models of irons then, right?

You should be able to play a wide range of clubs even at a high handicap, the pings should be forgiving enough for you to enjoy but you might benefit slightly from more forgiveness such as the ping G series or the AP1s. Go hit some irons and see what you like, don't worry as much about how people categorize them. I'd probably avoid blades though for the time being.

post #15 of 25
What is 1 club you will use every hole ? Putter...... I vote a new putter n used /traded in irons or discontinued irons.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by achadha7 View Post

What is 1 club you will use every hole ? Putter...... I vote a new putter n used /traded in irons or discontinued irons.

 

I've putted with my wedge before when I broke my putter over my foot :whistle:

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

I've putted with my wedge before when I broke my putter over my foot e2_whistling.gif
Lol general playing conditions and if your putting is like mine you use it 50 times a round for a score of 95
post #18 of 25

I'd also lean towards the irons, however, I like the idea of going a bit cheaper on your irons and getting both. If you like the i20 or i25, maybe consider picking up a nice used set of i15s or something like that, or maybe the 710 AP1s instead of the 714s.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Edel Putter or Irons