I used to play a bit more when I first got into it, perhaps once every month, got my handicap down to around 10 and was shooting mid 80's regularly. However, recent times, other things have taken up the time in the weekends and the friends I used to play golf with now live in other cities and towns, I hit around a 25-30 handicap now.
I played my annual round last weekend and I did not enjoy the round at all. The whole process of getting to the course, setting up, putting aside all of Sunday (the course was very slow with lots of people playing and trevel time to get there also) just did nothing for me at all. I did not enjoy myself and felt like the day was a chore rather than enjoyment.
I have my original set of golf clubs that I've owned for around 8-9 years and I'm thinking about selling them and giving up golf. I've made a short list of pros and cons of selling the clubs below but want some outside perspective as I've been thinking about it all week and can't seem to make a black and white decision.
Pros of keeping:
- Can play with friends if they are in town.
- Uncle and I may return to playing our annual game on 26th December Boxing Day (hasn't happened the past two years, I have no incentive to keep this happening either)
- Have clubs if for any reason a work function is a round of golf (highly unlikely)
- Have them to go to the range if I ever feel like it
- May take up golf more seriously in the future (quite unlikely but never know)
Cons of keeping:
- Taking up valuable space in small apartment we have (I hate having excess stuff taking up space and clutter)
- May need replacing in the next few years anyway. Gear such as bag, glove, tees, etc are looking old and need replacing
- Can get money by selling them
- Playing a round at a local course costs money $55 each round or so, money I'd get much more enjoyment spent elsewhere
- Not getting any enjoyment out of golf.
The only reason for me to keep them is if one of my friends were to come to town and we could socialise and play a round of golf, perhaps once every two years. I figure we could always socialise doing something else or I could borrow clubs off someone if I really needed to.