or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Eye dominance and putting
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eye dominance and putting

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Right or left eye dominance. This is a new concept to me.

#1 How does this affect your putting positively or negatively?

#2 Do people swing right and putt left (or vice versa) as a result of this?
post #2 of 10

Re: Eye dominance and putting

I'm left eye dominant but don't think it makes any difference, for me, in putting. One little tip, from Tiger no less, I've found useful. When you have a short putt and can see the hole in your peripheral vision, close the left eye (for a right hander) and the nose then blocks the view of the hole.
post #3 of 10

Re: Eye dominance and putting

Originally Posted by Weightshift View Post
I'm left eye dominant but don't think it makes any difference, for me, in putting. One little tip, from Tiger no less, I've found useful. When you have a short putt and can see the hole in your peripheral vision, close the left eye (for a right hander) and the nose then blocks the view of the hole.
If I did that I would have to close both eyes . I'm right eye dominant and I to have wondered if it makes a bit of difference. I messed around some at the local golf shop putting with left handed putters though I normally putt right handed. My hand positioning was the same so I was actually right hand low. It didn't really feel or look any different though I thought I had a bit more touch than normal. My aim though was definitely a bit off. I thought about picking a lefty putter up for 40.00 but when I tried the same style putter for right handers I really liked it. I bought a right hand version and my putting that weekend reinforced what I felt as I putted great compared to my normal stats. I took the lefty putter/right eye dominant thought off the shelf after that since it's probably not going to make enough of a positive difference that must overcome learning to play left handed. Maybe if I hit a funk putting I might think about it again.
post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

Re: Eye dominance and putting

Originally Posted by Harold View Post
I took the lefty putter/right eye dominant thought off the shelf after that since it's probably not going to make enough of a positive difference that must overcome learning to play left handed. Maybe if I hit a funk putting I might think about it again.
That's interesting. Maybe the effects of eye dominance are low on the list of things that can help/hurt putting.

In discussing her putting, Sorenstam once said "I am fortunate to be Left eye dominant, which helps my putting. . . "
post #5 of 10

Re: Eye dominance and putting

Left handed , putt right handed.
post #6 of 10

Re: Eye dominance and putting

Left eye dominant but righty everything else; its only effected my target shooting (firearm and bow) as far as I know.
post #7 of 10

To be honest its not what eye you are dominant with, its what you know and how to use the eye correctly.

 

I am doing a study on eye dominance and it is becoming obvious that we can train and develop better positions by better focus and how to use our eyes correctly.

 

I have already seen from many players that getting them to use their eyes properly can change their positions and improve their ability to get into neutral positions that are technically sound.

post #8 of 10

Once again, if more people would use SCIENTIFIC studies and evaluation, rather than responding subjectively to such topics, usable CORRECT information would be more readily available

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Shelton View Post

Once again, if more people would use SCIENTIFIC studies and evaluation, rather than responding subjectively to such topics, usable CORRECT information would be more readily available

Again? Did you mention that before on post 0? a2_wink.gif

post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-funk13 View Post

Right or left eye dominance. This is a new concept to me.

#1 How does this affect your putting positively or negatively?

#2 Do people swing right and putt left (or vice versa) as a result of this?

 

No clue how how it effects my putting. I am pretty much right eye dominant. I know this because i took a terrain analysis class in college, were you look at two images of the same land area, but there slightly offset, so they get 3D look, its called stereoscopic. But, i had a hard time getting one eye to look at one image and the other eye to look at the other. I was so right eye dominant that it overpowered my vision.

 

But for me and my putting, i tend to aim about 1 degree left with my current putter.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Eye dominance and putting